The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Are Pets Randomly Appearing in Households??

I created a household with no pets, I leave for a few days and go play with other households, and then when I return to the first household, the family now has THREE dogs! The Sim doesn't even have the "dog person" or "animal lover" trait, so why would she randomly adopt all of these pets??? I even have the three discourage stray animals gnomes outside of the house and I don't have story progression enabled.

Is there any way I can stop my Sims from adopting pets on their own?

If not, how can I quickly get rid of these pets? The Social Worker takes too long to show up. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited January 2012
    from what i can tell with some other people having same problem the game uses certain home for animal adoption, it gives them a dog then they have babies so the household your playing can adopt them, some have said this as happened even without story progression on, have you tried edit town moving out the dog and placing them in an household you don,t play?

• Options
    sweetheart509sweetheart509 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2012
    from what i can tell with some other people having same problem the game uses certain home for animal adoption, it gives them a dog then they have babies so the household your playing can adopt them, some have said this as happened even without story progression on, have you tried edit town moving out the dog and placing them in an household you don,t play?

I just deleted the dogs with the moveObjects cheat. That's probably the quickest way to do it, but I'm still wondering why the pets are appearing in the first place.
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited January 2012

I just deleted the dogs with the moveObjects cheat. That's probably the quickest way to do it, but I'm still wondering why the pets are appearing in the first place.

sounds like the game picked your family you lefted for the adoption added a dog then added puppys so the house you was playing could adopt them, the adoption on house happens without story progression to what i have read.
  • Options
    AngelzzzDaydream0AngelzzzDaydream0 Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited January 2012
    The simmy heart wants what the simmy heart wants...
    Perhaps she was lonely? =O)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The simmy heart wants what the simmy heart wants...
    Perhaps she was lonely? =O)

Maybe. I once had a Sim with the equestrian trait adopt two horses behind my back, but I at least understood why he did that! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    AngelzzzDaydream0AngelzzzDaydream0 Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited January 2012
    That's cute! Perhaps she was just defying you! hehe
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Update: Although I can delete the pets with the "moveobjects" cheat, if I leave the household and then return later, the pets magically appear again! :cry:

Also, I noticed that the households where this is happening have a "neighborhood pet adoption" tag above them.

What kind of ridiculous bug is this and how can I stop it?? It's very inconvenient to have all these pets attaching themselves to my households, and I can only place one pet for adoption at a time which is extremely tedious when there are 3+ pets in these households.

EA needs to fix this!
  • Options
    PepperbuttPepperbutt Posts: 3,201 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Update: Although I can delete the pets with the "moveobjects" cheat, if I leave the household and then return later, the pets magically appear again! :cry:

Also, I noticed that the households where this is happening have a "neighborhood pet adoption" tag above them.

What kind of ridiculous bug is this and how can I stop it?? It's very inconvenient to have all these pets attaching themselves to my households, and I can only place one pet for adoption at a time which is extremely tedious when there are 3+ pets in these households.

EA needs to fix this!

For the dozenth time, it's not a bug. It's just something the game does, if they get the 'adopt a ____' wish. You're not playing the household, so it's fair game to them. If you really hate it, I think you can sell pets at the Consignment store, though that might be my mod, or place them for adoption via the telephone.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Pepperbutt wrote:
    For the dozenth time, it's not a bug. It's just something the game does, if they get the 'adopt a ____' wish. You're not playing the household, so it's fair game to them. If you really hate it, I think you can sell pets at the Consignment store, though that might be my mod, or place them for adoption via the telephone.

I've never seen these particular Sims get the adopt a pet wish though. Also, it's not just one pet, but multiple pets (an adult with puppies/kittens). I don't have a consignment store in my game because I don't have whatever expansion pack it came with. Anyway, if it's not a bug, it should be because I don't want households that I created myself and spent a long time making/furnishing their homes ending up with 3+ pets that I can't easily get rid of. The game should at least allow you to put up multiple pets for adoption at once if they're going to keep giving my Sims a bunch of pets that I never wanted them to have in the first place. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but it's the first time I've noticed it happening in my game and it's negatively affecting my gameplay, so I would love to find a solution. It almost makes me want to uninstall the entire Pets expansion pack!
  • Options
    KellyYellowKellyYellow Posts: 29
    edited January 2012
    Have you got free will on high? That could be affecting it. You should fiddle around with the gameplay settings because the pets ep added a few extra options.

It sounds like a bug to me though...

This happens to me -
    I had a woman who I made adopt 2 cats and then I played a different household. Soon enough these two cats had kittens by themselves and were up for adoption for my current household to buy.
    However, when I then change back to the household with the cats, the kittens are gone. This is because the kittens were an opportunity for the other household. The kittens technically didn't exist!

I think this is what is supposed to happen. Your game might have glitch.
  • Options
    SG98SG98 Posts: 821 Member
    edited January 2012
    well how else would pets get into the town? :P
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I decided to delete my Sim that was having these issues and start over. This time, I put a cat in her household in hopes that the game wouldn't decide to give her more pets. But lo and behold, her cat ended up having two kittens as soon as I left her household to go play with another! Hasn't EA heard of spaying/neutering?? Just because you have a pet doesn't mean it's going to have babies!!!
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited January 2012
    Unfortunately, when you switch to another household, you no longer can control what happens in your old household. The game will do things you don't like, but that's the cost you pay for switching to another household to play.

Dogs and cats can't be sold anywhere. Some people have taken to putting the babies into other households through the edit town window. I don't recall the details, but that could be an option. Or, just killing the babies is also an option.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    AustralorpAustralorp Posts: 1,171 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I started a new game once and two days in my sims' cousin's dog had puppies.

Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid that sims let their pets reproduce and then put the babies up for adoption? If they didn't want more furry mouths to feed they wouldn't let their pets reproduce, right?
  • Options
    piratekitagpiratekitag Posts: 3,326 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Australorp wrote:
    I started a new game once and two days in my sims' cousin's dog had puppies.

Am I the only one who thinks it's stupid that sims let their pets reproduce and then put the babies up for adoption? If they didn't want more furry mouths to feed they wouldn't let their pets reproduce, right?

It's stupid but it is realistic since it happens in real life too. Luckily in sims there is no worry about the kittens/puppies being euthanized. Before the game was released I thought it would have been wonderful if a spay/neuter option had been included. But it wasn't so...just have to deal with what we can get. It's not that bad. If you don't want your sim's pets to reproduce when you're not playing...don't switch households.

What I do is make a completely new town/family if I want a change in play. I have three saves going on right now. It makes things easier. Because when you switch households, even if only for a moment, a lot can change(I switched households once for a few moments then when I came back to that household one of the adults in the house had a job that he was level five at and had a new skill he was level three at-he didn't even have a job when I switched to another household so..)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Australorp wrote:
    Because when you switch households, even if only for a moment, a lot can change(I switched households once for a few moments then when I came back to that household one of the adults in the house had a job that he was level five at and had a new skill he was level three at-he didn't even have a job when I switched to another household so..)

Yeah, I noticed that happening too and it didn't bother me that much except that I don't want some of my Sims to have jobs. I have one household where the wife works and I would like the husband to stay home to watch their toddler, but he keeps getting a job! Then, I had a household with a rock star husband and I wanted the wife to stay home with their three children, but she went out and got a job too. Is EA against the concept of a stay at home mom/dad or something?? LOL

But back to the topic at hand, I shouldn't have to be concerned about a major life decision happening when I leave a household if I don't have story progression on. If my Sims won't get married or have babies without my input (maybe they do, but I haven't had this happen yet), I don't think they should be adopting pets without it either. Sorry if I sound like a control freak! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    superseanskisuperseanski Posts: 42 New Member
    edited April 2012
    Australorp wrote:
    Because when you switch households, even if only for a moment, a lot can change...

But back to the topic at hand, I shouldn't have to be concerned about a major life decision happening when I leave a household if I don't have story progression on. If my Sims won't get married or have babies without my input (maybe they do, but I haven't had this happen yet), I don't think they should be adopting pets without it either. Sorry if I sound like a control freak! :mrgreen:

I agree with all of this. I've been trying to put together a Batman Gotham City, so I have to keep switching households to build hideouts and such. But every time I turn around, the Riddler or Killer Croc has adopted a little kitten. I have story progression, free will, and aging turned off including surpress oppurtunities, I don't know what else to do.

And I'm not sorry, I do want to be a control freak. :lol:
  • Options
    MethalineMethaline Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2012
    I know, I have story progression turned off and aging. It's my game and I should be able to play my story how I want to.

I keep having foals and kittens showing up when I switch to a new house it is depressing to have to delete them or give them up for adoption or even place them with other households and then end up having 6 or 9 pets looking exactly the same in the neighborhood!

Also that ruins the story I am trying to tell it is very distracting to have to stop everything to deal with unwanted pets. Only thing I can think of is to switch everything to male pets but I was looking so forward to enjoying breeding and raising my own pets my own way.

Is there any fix at all for this or have you experienced the same thing please comment or suggest thank you so much
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited May 2012
    Get Twallen's mods. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ Get Overwatch in particular.
    What does the the "Stop Pet Adoption" setting do ?

Pets Pack included a "Neighborhood Pet Adoption" system that does the following :
    Locates a occupied residential inactive household
    Spawns a litter of animals into that household.
    Displays a special map tag denoting the existence of this new litter
    Allows the user to adopt one of these animals by conversing with one of the human owners

The problem is with EA's implementation of the system:
    If the user chooses not to adopt a pet, those animals will be removed from the game when the adoption system moves to a new household in town.
    The process feels contrived, and overly simulated.

The "Settings \ Stop Pet Adoption" option disables this system, and clears out any existing adoption situation running in town.
    This setting does not affect the ability to Adopt pets via the Phone or Equestrian Center.
    It also does not affect the ability for story progression systems, such as EA Story Progression or StoryProgression to generate new permanent pets in town.

Aside from fixing this (at least that's what it sounds like it will do), it will fix a whole other set of issues in the game such as cars being abandoned all over town, which causes game lag. Even in Appaloosa Plains, which is a fairly small town, it will clean up 30 to 50 cars a night.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    k2m1took2m1too Posts: 3,128 Member
    edited May 2012
    nvm