Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

something missing from ts3: Will Wright

i have been reading messages all over the web wondering if it was just me who thought that ts3 didn't feel quite right. It wasn't just me dedicated simmers all over the world are regretting buying one of the most hyped games.

the sims is a franchise at the end of the day but this new system is a blatant money making scheme and a true simmer would never have allowed the game to progress from an amazing enjoyable sims 2 to the sims 3 so many things are just not right here is a few of my problems let me know yours

- the sims 2 was about the time off with vacations and seasons the game became brilliant and a stay at home sim had so much to do now i feel as if the sims lives to work, the same with school with the whole thing being to much

- the sims look straight from a console game i am a pc player not a console player i don't actually think that they look like 'sims'

- the buildings.
the buildings down town were a huge let down HUGE when i take my sim shopping i want to see inside the building
sending a sim to school/work and have them disappear inside and not be able to see them is much the same as the sims 2 no great improvement there

- missing stuff
toddler interactions and toddler furniture

-the major for me
building houses is by far my favorite there are no new features and hardly any windows and doors ( i know we can alter the colors ) and not being able to paint stairs and fences... clever eaxis get us to buy more from the store

there is so much more that to me just doesn't feel right and i for one will be waiting until an ep comes out that actually improves GAME play till i play, the marvelous will wright sims 2 will be installed again and that will be my game out choice

Comments

• Options
    tbatchtbatch Posts: 185 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I understand what your saying however I don't fully agree with the community lots section.

The Sims 2 put me off going to community lots, the loading just took to long. So not being able to follow them in isn't such a big shame to me. Also the lots would look really empty if we could go in. The Sims 2 loaded up sims to go in. The Sims 3 sims are everywhere. I also have a feeling that one day we might be able to go into community lots as part of a OFB remake, it was a very popular TS2 EP and they might be saving this feature.

I love the graphics on the sims, only because with the sims 2 they looked to much the same when i made them (but this is just me :P )

The Sims 2 being about vacation and seasons isn't entirely true. They were expansions for the base game. This is the base game for another load of EPs to ehance gameplay in different ways.

EA making money is somewhat true, but the store is replacing stuff packs, so honestly, they will make about the same amount of money from it (the store is a little overpriced though when comparing the amount of objects in stuff packs with store prices)

Edit: Will Wright wasn't involved in creating most of The Sims 2 and EPs. True maxis was there, but it wasn't him personally.

I don't mean to sound rude, but thats my opinion :D Happy Simming on whichever game you choose to play!
  • Options
    peantbutrprincspeantbutrprincs Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2009
    to me the game doesn't have the same feel it feels way more like a console game than a pc game i love the open neighborhood but overall just doesn't feel right

ps the baby in the blanket is weird don't like that
  • Options
    meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited June 2009
    I don't agree with you on a couple of reasons.

1. To me, the sims don't look like straight out of a console game. They still look a bit like TS2 sims only softer and more realistic.

2. Even though TS2 focused on vacations and things with later expansion packs, the loading screens always took so long to wait for. I spent more time waiting than playing which was a little frustrating.

And there is one more thing. About halfway through the Sims 2, Will Wright had actually left to work on Spore. This has been mentioned time and time again on developer interviews. Now, Will Wright is working on his new project, Stupid Fun CLub. (No joke, it is actually called that)

• Options
    velcroshoesvelcroshoes Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The only thing that set me off that Will Wright was obiviously not apart of The Sims 3 is the lack of llamas. There are not a lot, or any that I've seen of llama references (besides the cheat) Now the mascot seems to be a Sponge :? Oh well, not everything he does is sims. Spore creatures don't look like Sims. Different game, different style - even if he was working on the Sims 3
  • Options
    ClaudiaVanTrampClaudiaVanTramp Posts: 506 New Member
    edited June 2009
    The only thing that set me off that Will Wright was obiviously not apart of The Sims 3 is the lack of llamas. There are not a lot, or any that I've seen of llama references (besides the cheat) Now the mascot seems to be a Sponge :? Oh well, not everything he does is sims. Spore creatures don't look like Sims. Different game, different style - even if he was working on the Sims 3

Haha! All I've seen is the "imply mother is llama" interaction.

I agree that the Sims 3 feels like a console game, though. It seems a lot like Sims Bustin' Out to me.
  • Options
    meroninemeronine Posts: 91 New Member
    edited June 2009
    velcroshoes : There's a sports team called the llamas.. lol
  • Options
    Msnewme09Msnewme09 Posts: 160 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I don't agree at all, the base game for the sims 2 was way worse then the sims 3. Also the amount of customization that we can now do to the clothes and hair makes up for all the look a-like sims in the sims 2. Not being able to go inside buildings is not such a big deal right now, because I would hate doing that anyway because I had to sit through a loading scene. Also I am sure things will get much better with each expansion pack. Go back and play the sims 2 base game, and check out the vast differences. The store isn't that bad either. How many times have people paid almost 20 dollars for s stuff pack with only a few items they liked in it. Now you can pick and choose exactly what you want. It like you going into your favorite clothing store and being told for 40 dollars you can have a lot of shirts and pants and you only like say two of them. Wouldn't you rather pay say 5 dollars and get the exact item you want? Also everything is about money, people don't make games for just the fans approval. They want to make money, and they will make a lot of money off of the sim store. Even more so than with the stuff packs.
  • Options
    osbornfenreadyosbornfenready Posts: 42 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion... but I have to say I disagree entirely with the Original Post of the thread.

I don't think the Sims3 is perfect, but no game is perfect. I do think that in many, MANY ways the Sims3 is better than all the previous sims games and expansions combined, as well as it incorporated a little from all the previous games sims1, sims2 and simcity4.

I think people are far too hard on the designers and tech-support folks who work so hard to bring you some of the highest quality games on the market today. You haven't seen bad tech support until you buy an Atari product......

I think that it is not that there is something missing, but that there is SOOO much more to the game itself, it takes a while to adapt. (not all people like change)
    msnewme09 said:
    I don't agree at all, the base game for the sims 2 was way worse then the sims 3. Also the amount of customization that we can now do to the clothes and hair makes up for all the look a-like sims in the sims 2. Not being able to go inside buildings is not such a big deal right now, because I would hate doing that anyway because I had to sit through a loading scene. Also I am sure things will get much better with each expansion pack. Go back and play the sims 2 base game, and check out the vast differences. The store isn't that bad either. How many times have people paid almost 20 dollars for s stuff pack with only a few items they liked in it. Now you can pick and choose exactly what you want. It like you going into your favorite clothing store and being told for 40 dollars you can have a lot of shirts and pants and you only like say two of them. Wouldn't you rather pay say 5 dollars and get the exact item you want? Also everything is about money, people don't make games for just the fans approval. They want to make money, and they will make a lot of money off of the sim store. Even more so than with the stuff packs.

I completely agree.

I would also like to thank the Sims3 team and programmers for having the courage to push the game further than they ever have, and doing a fine job at it.

Life ain't easy, nature is always fighting you and life is full of bumps, bruises and glitches when you least expect them. It only goes to reason that a game about life simulation as vast as sims3 is, will have a few of the same while forging new trails before anyone else in the industry.
  • Options
    SmokaColaSmokaCola Posts: 111 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Well honestly, I don't have a problem with this game at all. But the whole time playing it I couldn't help to say to myself, "This feels like a console port". Not sure what it is about the game, but it does feel that way. If this game pops up on a console and doesn't have any problems at all and it's exactly the same version, I'll be highly disappointed. I won't jump ship or anything, but that would be a major slap in the face to find out this game really IS a console port.
  • Options
    galivantinggalivanting Posts: 40 New Member
    edited June 2009
    just wanted to throw this out there

will wright did nothing with this game but endorse it

he didnt even want to make a new sims, he said so a year after sims 2 but ea wanted to milk the series so they gave a bunch of Canadian devs the reins to mess it up while advertising it as being the best way to play the sims
  • Options
    sims2shacksims2shack Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    - the sims 2 was about the time off with vacations and seasons the game became brilliant and a stay at home sim had so much to do now i feel as if the sims lives to work, the same with school with the whole thing being to much

So was the sims 2 until the expansions came. I was unimpressed by the game but after 2 hours I am hooked. I agree there should have been WAY more objects both in buy and build - and I feel ripped off for that. Recolours are awesome, but we still need more stuff! Same with the clothes too. WAAAAY too little stuff in the game, no matter how we recolour it. They saved way to much for their silly little store.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited June 2009
    SmokaCola wrote:
    Well honestly, I don't have a problem with this game at all. But the whole time playing it I couldn't help to say to myself, "This feels like a console port". Not sure what it is about the game, but it does feel that way. If this game pops up on a console and doesn't have any problems at all and it's exactly the same version, I'll be highly disappointed. I won't jump ship or anything, but that would be a major slap in the face to find out this game really IS a console port.

Yah, they ported it from a console version which is so far from being ready that it hasn't even been announced yet, and somehow manager to get the PC port working and shipped already.... :roll:
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    CatheadCathead Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think the major issue here is that people's views of the sims 2 is wrong.

We went so far into the sims 2. We had custom everything and beautiful items, skins etc... from very talented creators. But, I think a lot of people are forgetting just HOW LONG it took to get there! I for one have only been using custom content in my sims 2 game for about 1/2 years. Before that, before any expansions, before patches... there were annoying things about the game! Fair enough, the huge leap from sims one to 2 made up for it but there were still issues. I remember horrible hairstyles, limited colours (eyes, skin, hair.

It was only when the expansions emerged that the true enjoyment began for me! We just have to be patient, which I'm finding hard too!

If the game follows in the steps of its predecessor, then from this game that has just been released, we can have high hopes! (I hope!! ;))
  • Options
    supitsrubisupitsrubi Posts: 122 New Member
    edited June 2009
    SmokaCola wrote:
    I love the Sims 3, and I agree with the whole Console Port thingie majingie. Like, when they pause, and they just start tapping their feet, IDK it feels like it should be played on an Xbox 360 instead, haha :lol: . But yeah, I love the game though.
  • Options
    AngelofCoffeeAngelofCoffee Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i have been reading messages all over the web wondering if it was just me who thought that ts3 didn't feel quite right. It wasn't just me dedicated simmers all over the world are regretting buying one of the most hyped games.

I don't like it at all. I hate that you have to have one "main family" that's just 🐸🐸🐸🐸. I want to play any family.

The lighing in the game sometimes feels too dark, so its ahrder to see things.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 happens to the baby bottles and the diapers? The stupid actions for that are lame. I hated all the baby bottles left around in the sims 2, but this is not realistic. I hate how the stupid babies dont go to sleep either and then by the time they do, they're starving and have to get up before they're even rested; like omg!

I do love how everything loads fast, but its just not right. Doesnt feel the same at all. Im probably going back to the sims 2.
  • Options
    kwilltrice8kwilltrice8 Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I agree with the console feel. Not liking the whole morphing into the car. . . I am still out on the "new look" of the sims. I am still playing though. It's growing on me.

I wonder what Will Wright "really" thinks of the latest sims game.
  • Options
    legendarybitka29legendarybitka29 Posts: 1,185 Member
    edited June 2009
    Msnewme09 wrote:

I agree with this completely.

I'd also like to point out that while I am grateful to Will Wright for the Sims, he isn't perfect. I mean, look at Spore.
  • Options
    MisterZagMisterZag Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Whoa folks,

I think you guys are asking way too much from one single game. Do you want a 35 GIG installation on your drive or something? I really do understand the lack of certain features and I do hope that EA will add them in the near future but SIMS3 feels a lot like SIMS2 with a selective pick of features from all the expansions that came out.

However, if you just plays SIMS2, you’ll quickly find that it’s not a huge leap from SIMS1. However, SIMS3 is a nice leap from SIMS2 in terms of core features and playability.

Trust me, I agree that a few things here and there are missing but seriously, I’m maybe not a huge hardcore 24/7 SIMS fan but I really have nothing majorly bad to say about this pretty fun game. The only thing that I was hoping for was some multiplayer capabilties. That’s something that should been done a LONG time ago.

Also, Will Wrigth is slowly becoming a designer from another generation. Spore would have been amazing a few years back but compared to what we can do today, it fall short. Again, it's not a bad game but it could have been alot better, considering the experience Will now has.

Then again, that is my opinion =)
  • Options
    Zin779Zin779 Posts: 988 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Hi :-)

I love Sims 3 but not keen on a few things..
    I would have liked more interactions with babies and tots..

And not keen that the baby is wrapped in a blanket, you can't see its feet..
    and they hardly move how weird, real babies wriggle and kick
    and make gurgling sounds.

I think parets should be able to change babies clothes
    Baby grows would be good and at least you would be able to see
    the baby kicking its legs..much better than the silly blanket..

And yeah!..Sims should be able to go inside community lots..
    I miss nightlife, as there is no nightclub...
    Also my Sims can't be romantic and have a slow dance as in Sims 2..
    The game is great, but could be better..

Love Zinda :-)
  • Options
    RobECoyoteRobECoyote Posts: 267 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have to say I'm really enjoying this game, and having a great deal of fun, but I have to say while playing it, I do get an eerie 'I can see how this could port to a console' feel to quite a lot of it. I played all the console Sims games (But ended up trading them in, not even comparable to PC, though I did really enjoy Castaway), and it seems Sims 3 is a bit of a midpoint between the PC Sims 2 and the console games.
    I also have the same feeling that I had with Spore. I feel as if the game has been 'dumbed down'. Sure, it's nice to have a little less reliance on macro-managing needs, but all food, no matter the quality, completely filling the hunger bar is a bit too simple. Which is strange, because games are being 'dumbed down' these days in order to attract the 'casual' market, but that's always been the market that has played the Sims series, and it's never needed to be dumbed down before. (Apologies if I offend with the term dumbed down, but I actually feel as if games are being too simplified, that games companies are severely underestimating the 'casual gamer', as the complexity of the Sims 2 shows, they aren't dumb)

I'm not at all fussed about the 'lacks' that it has. I remember Sims 2 base, and how little there was in it. I think there is a lot more in Sims 3 than there was in base Sims 2.
    Also, I don't agree with the statement that it's work-centred. This is the first base game where you can actually have a viable stay at home sim, who can make a good living, and doesn't have to spend all their time churning out paintings (Which was the only way to manage it in basic Sims 2). Sure, the big bucks come from joining a career, but you can make a slow but steady income doing many of the other activities that don't require you to watch a building outline for 7 sim hours. I've got sims that make a living gardening, others that sell fish. You can write books, paint pictures, or even a combination of all of these. You can even go out and collect the rocks, gems and bugs and make a decent profit from selling them.

I also love some of the new additions. I adore the item upgrading that you can do, and I so wish there were more of them to do. I love the 'bolt on' items, that you can add to existing items to give them more functionality (Although the only two so far are the Rubber Duck and the Bubble Bath Container), and I really hope we see more of this kind of thing in future expansions

My only gripes right now are the speed problem, and the improperly working story progression, but I'm sure they'll be fixed soon enough.