Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

L-Shaped Stairs on Foundation?

I really want to make L-shaped stairs in my legacy house but the house is already on a foundation... i read this tutorial: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=48780 (which is great!) but that doesn't start on a foundation...any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    TnT_TJTnT_TJ Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2009
    Should be able to do that, as you have to cfe down the floor above. I made an L-shaped staircase on the outside of a part of a building on a foundation. The trick is to get it just right.

If you, say, lower the ground on the outside of the house, place a foundation and then a wall on top of that. Use the CFE and drag it in where you want the L corner... the house will look crooked at first, but you can level whatever needs levelling on the second floor after doing it.

Does this make sense at all?
  • Options
    SuzieQ7SuzieQ7 Posts: 211 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Like TnT_TJ said, you'll have to place foundation and a wall in order to make a half wall in your house.

The way in the tutorial isn't the way I have done it. What I would do is somewhere outside the house, lower a bit of terrain two stairs and level out a little area. Place a square of foundation and a wall on the lower part of ground you made. Now, inside your house, build the landing where you want it. Use CFE and level it out from the top of the wall you built outside to the landing. This should give you a half wall. You'll then have to level out the wall of the top level of your house if your other levels got screwed up.

In order to place the stairs (the ones from the landing to the second story), you should leave two empty floor tiles from the landing and then place a floor tile on the second story. This will make it easier to get the stairs to lock where you want them to.

• Options
    ybboccobby04ybboccobby04 Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2009
    eeck ok i'll see if i can figure it out thanks guys!
  • Options
    SuzieQ7SuzieQ7 Posts: 211 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I found this tutorial that is pretty similar to what I explained.

http://www.thesimsresource.com/tutorials/view/id/11696/Creating L-shaped stairs in The Sims 3

If you want an actual landing (and not floating stairs), the only difference is that you would build a 1x1 room in the corner, place a floor tile on top of the room and then use CFE and level it out.
  • Options
    BennjoonBennjoon Posts: 1,909 Member
    edited August 2009
    I just did it exactly the same way as normal but with a foundtaion at the bottom of the wall. It was halfway thru a house so i deleted the walls i ddidnt want lowered before i levelled it then put them back then i levelled off the floor upstairs so it was flat. Hope that makes sense
  • Options
    ybboccobby04ybboccobby04 Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2009
    yay i did it! thanks everyone! :D
  • Options
    PaigeyCakesPaigeyCakes Posts: 4 New Member
    edited August 2011
    i know this a REAAAALLLLYYYY old thread but i was trying to do this and i managed to get the split stairs and everything but everytime i try to level out the second story walls the lower landing rises up so thers no floor beteween the stairs does anyone know a way around this? (im building on a foundation if that helps) :)