Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sharp Modern Family -- By Anjubee

AnjubeeAnjubee Posts: 1,935 Member
I usually don't do a separate thread for my Build-n-Share entries, but since I barely squeezed it in by the deadline, I didn't get much feedback as everyone is now focused on the next challenge!

For those that don't participate, Week #6's challenge was to build a house for The Sharps. The requirements were an in-law unit for Derek Sharp’s mother, Loretta.

Family Wants

A single-story home

No larger than a 40×40 lot (upon further consideration, a LITTLE bigger is OK)

1 main home with 2 BR and 1.5 BA

1 smaller build with a little apartment for Loretta

The Main Home

Interior of the main home in shades of brown, yellow, white/cream, and purple (Special Note: (it says) please no gold. And try to use just these colors as much as possible. You can use them in any hues and combination that looks good to you).

1 master bedroom for Derek and Sheryl

1 bedroom for teen Latoya, with a small reading and study area

A little spot for Derek to exercise. Should be tucked away and not a focal point in the home.

The Smaller House

Apartment for Loretta (elder) with small kitchen, full bathroom, bedroom, and small sitting area for entertaining

An office for Sheryl

Between the two homes

A beautiful garden

A stone path joining the two homes

A small area for outside entertaining with a grill and a bistro table and chairs

Budget

$175,000

Link to lot: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=616870

I decided to do a modern build as I saw The Sharps as more of a hip trendy family. I really struggled with it though and started over 3 times. I finally just had to finish it out since I was running out of time. I barely made it in by the entry deadline. And because I had to rush, I didn’t get to decorate as detailed as I liked.

sharp.png

sharp_01.jpg

sharp_02.jpg

sharp_03.jpg

sharp_04.jpg

sharp_09.jpg

sharp_10.jpg

More pictures here: http://simulatinganju.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/sharp-modern-family/

Hope people like it! I'm a bit concerned since it's been up half a day and it's only gotten 1 rec. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2009
    I really like your build anjubee. I will be downloading and recommending it :)
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    edited July 2009
    Usually I don't like purple and pink, but I really like THAT!
  • Options
    SStovenSStoven Posts: 29 New Member
    edited July 2009
    looks nice :)

I need to focus and take my time on building..
    Im usually so anxious to play lol
    def. be downloading!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SStoven: I'm just the opposite! I need to focus more time on playing! Hope you enjoy the house in your game!

Asante: Yeah, I typically don't like that that color combination either, but I had to make it work somehow! Thanks for commenting!

Starbucaneer: Thank you for the download and recommend! :D
  • Options
    craterdwellercraterdweller Posts: 59 Member
    edited July 2009
    Oooh, I like very much! I'm biased towards the modern style I must admit. I really loved the feaure walls in the bedrooms. I'm giving this a rec and a fav and will download it when I get over to my mac.
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited July 2009
    Oh my goodness...this is such stellar work! I predict a win in your future. I love how oyu made the exterior sleek and modern, but still realistic. Nice little touch with using the different fence types together..clever girl! Rec from me. :D
  • Options
    AllureAllure Posts: 773 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Anjubee, that's one sexy beast of a house! I used to hate modern homes, but I am so in love with them now. Gosh, I am so fickle... I think you should definitely build more modern homes in the future, you're obviously very skilled at it. I must...have...this...house...NOW! :twisted: *runs off to download and recommend*
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Allure: hahaha, sexy beast??? That's the first time I've heard that used to describe one of my houses. <3 And I dunno... I have a love/hate with moderns too. I still prefer the cozy cute spaces like what you and Ruthless build.

Ruthless: Thank you, my building goddess! I love hearing praise from you.

craterdweller: Wow, a fav! Thanks! I'm just happy all my restarting on this lot has produced some positive results! :)
  • Options
    SparkleSparkle Posts: 1,476 Member
    edited July 2009
    I believe I already commented on the house in the photo thread. So now I'm here to ask a question.

I just noticed the sort of "step" in the roof level. Where it goes from cream exterior to brown exterior. Is that a CFE trick? (and a simple yes or no will surfice, if it's a yes I want to work out how to do it myself :D )

Edit: OK, don't worry about an answer, I just went into the game and did it myself :) Very cool trick. And it really makes that house.
    Origin: sparklesim | Twitter | Facebook | Click below to read about my Sims 4 Hood
    SparkleSimsSig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sparkle: Yeah, the real challenge in this challenge for me was to attempt to make a larger 1 story modern with no foundations and a flat roof to look good! So I had to use some CFE tricks to make the shape of the structure a bit more interesting. Glad you were able to figure it out! It's not too hard. Just a pain to go back and fix something if you change your mind about a particular area.

constrainfloorelevation falllllllllse

I think I can type that in my sleep now. Although for some reason, I always forget the s in moveobjects on. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    AsanteAsante Posts: 1,812 Member
    edited July 2009
    hehe... usually I type something like "constrainflooreleviaton" or other weird combinations without noticing it and then I'm sitting there for a minute thinking: "GRAAAAA WHY DON'T YOU WORK?"
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I sometimes type true when I need false and vice versa. But the constrainfloorelevation part... it has been engrained into my very soul.... /shakefistsingletear
  • Options
    valennealvvalennealv Posts: 641 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Sparkle wrote:
    I believe I already commented on the house in the photo thread. So now I'm here to ask a question.

I just noticed the sort of "step" in the roof level. Where it goes from cream exterior to brown exterior. Is that a CFE trick? (and a simple yes or no will surfice, if it's a yes I want to work out how to do it myself :D )

Edit: OK, don't worry about an answer, I just went into the game and did it myself :) Very cool trick. And it really makes that house.

OOooOo.. I have wanted to know how to do this for a long time! I've tried but just dont seem to get it!! So how do you add that extra little half wall-ey thing on top
    ?!
    Thank-you! (If you reply :D )
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hi valennealv!

Let's see if I can explain this.

It depends on whether or not you built a house on a foundation. In this case, I didn't, so it's actually easier to do what I did.

Just think of it like you are building a second story in areas you want to have that "step up" and then you're going to smush the walls down a bit with the constrainfloorelevation cheat.

After you walled off the parts you want to have as a bump, somewhere off to the side, build a foundation and build a little room over it, then make sure you are on the second level and after typing in the cheat, level the walls of the 2nd floor down to the level of the wall where you built a foundation underneath. Then you turn the cheat off and place floor tiles over it, delete the foundation and the wall you used as a guide, and voila!

Hope that makes sense. If you need a picture diagram, let me know.
  • Options
    ArchitektinArchitektin Posts: 1,242 New Member
    edited July 2009
    an amazing build, i specially love your interior work, how you placed the beds, this is awsome :-) great work there!
  • Options
    fidlertenfidlerten Posts: 7,615 Member
    edited July 2009
    Hi Again Anjubee,

I managed to get caught up with my own thread to come out and check some other houses and here we are again with another house from Anjubee.

Wow, what colors! Maybe a little overwhelming. This from someone who loves color. I'm not talking about the whole house of course, just the two bedrooms but hey, they do look sharp. I did love the interior and exterior of this house. You really showed your talent for both inside and outside with this build. I particularly liked the living room's soft color and furniture placement and that's a beautiful area rug.

Wonderful job Anjubee!

fidlerten
    Signature%2005-29-17_zpsti5fd2z4.png
  • Options
    Jasonmazda2Jasonmazda2 Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited July 2009
    lovely modern build. How did you make the fence?. it's like one fence is onto of another to for one?
    hgjghj.jpg
  • Options
    valennealvvalennealv Posts: 641 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Anjubee wrote:
    Hi valennealv!

It depends on whether or not you built a house on a foundation. In this case, I didn't, so it's actually easier to do what I did.

Just think of it like you are building a second story in areas you want to have that "step up" and then you're going to smush the walls down a bit with the constrainfloorelevation cheat.

After you walled off the parts you want to have as a bump, somewhere off to the side, build a foundation and build a little room over it, then make sure you are on the second level and after typing in the cheat, level the walls of the 2nd floor down to the level of the wall where you built a foundation underneath. Then you turn the cheat off and place floor tiles over it, delete the foundation and the wall you used as a guide, and voila!

No, that made perfect sense! I had done it before and quite often use CFE but thanks for remindind me!! Amazing house by the way! Looks realistic! And everything fits together so well!! 8)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    valennealv: Great! Glad I don't have to do a diagram. lol. Thank you for the compliments!

Jasonmazda2: Yep! Nevar530 taught me that nifty trick. I believe he has a tutorial up on his page for it.

fiddie: Yeah, the colors were a bit bold! But some people like them, I guess! It was a challenge requirement to include of those colors. :) Thank you for always leaving great feedback on my builds. I truly appreciate the time you take to comment and the help you give to the community with your current thread.

Archie: You rock! <3 Thank you!
  • Options
    BECKYB576BECKYB576 Posts: 344 Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow! Quite sharp. You are an inspiration for me to aspire to..... Thank you. I love your work.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Becky, thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy about the positive feedback with this build. I tend to struggle more with modern builds, so I ended up staring at it so much to the point where I just couldn't decide if it looked good or not!
  • Options
    knuckleknuckle Posts: 182 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i was hoping to pm you about this but as ive found out you cant pm ... so, i was wondering if you would mind telling me how you made those short walls on the roof tops.

lovely lot btw :!:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hi knuckle,

Here is what I wrote out to someone who had a similar question on page 1 of this thread. Hope it helps you. :)
    Hi valennealv!

• Options
    knuckleknuckle Posts: 182 New Member
    edited July 2009
    :lol:, oops... didnt see it there. i just got the the end of your first post. thanks for the info and reposting :)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    No problem, knuckle!

If you have any other questions about the build, please let me know. If this thread gets buried, you can always send me a PM on www.buildersboulevard.com or leave a comment at my little simblog at simulatinganju.wordpress.com. :)