Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are the games going to the steam?

What if I dont have internet?How can I load my game?I have been collecting sense day1 with the sims1 I want to pass down these disk to the next generations.I dont like giving my credit card number on line and i dont like the sims points card due to the fact of getting charged 2 time on taxes and not get all my points. its not 10 dollar for 1000 points its 900 and something by the time taxes is out again in some states but i find myself having to call EA everytime to get all my point and its annoying and so i stop buying points. now I learned all the games will be on steam.most parents will not buy on line games. not with hacking and all that around.

Comments

• Options
    DancingK8DancingK8 Posts: 395 Member
    edited July 2011
    Are you asking if you can still buy physical copies of the games? (I'm not really sure what "the steam" is...) Because you can, if you want to. You don't have to buy sim points, either.
  • Options
    bmurphy0900bmurphy0900 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2011
    I just seen on You tube that there will no longer be disk and that everything is going to digital, I just wanted to know why or if this even is true
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm not quite sure what 'steam' is? I highly doubt they will stop selling disk copies of the games though. They would lose too many customers if they drastically switched to only online purchases (I'm guessing 'steam' is something online to buy the games?)

Happy Simming! :D
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm surprised everyone's saying this won't happen because I've heard it bandied about on the forums for a month or so now. I don't where they got the original information or where the rumor started but it seemed to be a sure thing when the forum was buzzing about it.
  • Options
    overcookedburgerovercookedburger Posts: 2,152 New Member
    edited July 2011
    If it will convert to digital 100%. Bye bye :( But I dont think EA would do that, they love their money as if it was them.
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited July 2011
    LOL! Good point overcookedburger.
  • Options
    McbeanMcbean Posts: 2,551 New Member
    edited July 2011
    What if I dont have internet?How can I load my game?I have been collecting sense day1 with the sims1 I want to pass down these disk to the next generations.I dont like giving my credit card number on line and i dont like the sims points card due to the fact of getting charged 2 time on taxes and not get all my points. its not 10 dollar for 1000 points its 900 and something by the time taxes is out again in some states but i find myself having to call EA everytime to get all my point and its annoying and so i stop buying points. now I learned all the games will be on steam.most parents will not buy on line games. not with hacking and all that around.

If memory serves, I believe you are required to have an internet connection to play The Sims 3. You have to download the updates or it will not load. So, if someone did not have an internet connection to get the updates, then it seems it would be a moot point.

Addendum: An internet connection to initially load the game after purchase, not every time you load your game to play.

Cheers.

Mcbean
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm not quite sure what 'steam' is? I highly doubt they will stop selling disk copies of the games though. They would lose too many customers if they drastically switched to only online purchases (I'm guessing 'steam' is something online to buy the games?)

Happy Simming! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)

And Civ V is Steam installed. Not sure how its sales are however.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    GrubwurmGrubwurm Posts: 111
    edited July 2011
    Steam is like EADM/Origins the game can be a DVD or Download it will still need to go thru steam for updates and verification. Once the game is verified then steam will let you download/play the game. You will have to use steam for playing however you acquired the game. One very important thing make sure that your steam folder is on a big enough hard drive cause all games will be located there that uses it.
    I have about 45-50g's of games with steam not counting Sims. They had a huge 4th sale most new games are sold at rock bottom prices.

• Options
    DaletheSimDaletheSim Posts: 430 New Member
    edited July 2011
    You may not want to discount it, Steam Powered Games. It's an online gaming and game downloading service. The Sims 3 Pack http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8665/ this is the base game, expansions and stuff packs for 80 bucks. According the the site that's 67% off, that's huge.

I don't want to see games go all digital myself. Slow internet, 3Mbps, means it would take quite some time to get something as big as Sims 3. For some though it's a good idea I think.
  • Options
    Dinahdoll22Dinahdoll22 Posts: 696 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Reading the Steam site..I have to say it seems very interesting, The discount alone is WOW! I can not think that would be the only option, but an option yes. That would make sense. The more ways people can get the game the more money EA makes. Limit the ways and they limit their money. IMO.