Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why the negativity?

After just watching the new trailer for TS3Gen, I realized that the whole pack is about the negative things a sim can do. Cheat, prank, be nasty to eachother. My teens are always usually the goodytooshues, but this pack I'm afraid will turn them into bratzillas. I wish they didn't focus so much on the negative aspects of sims :/

Comments

• Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited May 2011
    The only negativity I see are the pranks. And actually, I don't even see them as negative. I see them as fun and entertaining :P

Being nasty to eachother? Nuh uh. Your sims are able to graduate from highschool, go to their own very prom, record special moments on a video camera, have special wedding ceremonies and bachelor parties. I don't see negativity at all.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited May 2011
    Batman wrote:
    After just watching the new trailer for TS3Gen, I realized that the whole pack is about the negative things a sim can do. Cheat, prank, be nasty to eachother. My teens are always usually the goodytooshues, but this pack I'm afraid will turn them into bratzillas. I wish they didn't focus so much on the negative aspects of sims :/

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you that the expansion pack focuses on negativity. Sims could always cheat if you wanted them to. And Sims could always be nasty to each other even before Generations, if you wanted them to.

I mean, all of those activities, such as pranking, are optional and it is strictly up to the player to chose them. If your teens turn into bratzillas, is't because you made them that way. After all, you *are* their god.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    legendarybitka29legendarybitka29 Posts: 1,185 Member
    edited May 2011
    I like the idea of teenagers pulling pranks. Now, I have a teenage daughter (real life, not the Sims) and I would never let her pull the stuff the Sims can do, but that's the fun of it. I can let my Sims teens do it.

And it's better than modeling it after real teens. How fun would it be to watch our teen Sims text constantly, sleep past noon and complain there's nothing to eat while staring into a full refrigerator?
  • Options
    CBedna01CBedna01 Posts: 806 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Hey guess what...don't want to sound mean...but it's a game ;)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited May 2011
    I like the idea of teenagers pulling pranks. Now, I have a teenage daughter (real life, not the Sims) and I would never let her pull the stuff the Sims can do, but that's the fun of it. I can let my Sims teens do it.

And it's better than modeling it after real teens. How fun would it be to watch our teen Sims text constantly, sleep past noon and complain there's nothing to eat while staring into a full refrigerator?

Heck, my *grandson* already does all that...(except for the texting, and if he had his way, he'd be on his mother's cell phone all the time punching that kitty!) and he's only three!
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    ZeekSliderZeekSlider Posts: 5,831 Member
    edited May 2011
    It's a marketing tactic where the commercial is using escapism to their advantage.

The Sims is a simulated reality. You can do whatever you want there, and most people like to do things in their games that they cannot do in real life due to bigger consiquences.

Would you really turn into a Bridzilla on your wedding day? Would you actually go and egg a neighbor's house just because you don't like them? Are you going to actually publicly wave your can and yell at some kid who threw a ball on your lawn?

Chances are one of these is against your own nature, but who hasn't fantasized about doing this?

That's where I see the commercial is coming from. It's advertising the "bad" side of the expansion pack because those features are the most "fun" since you can't do those in real life without risks.
  • Options
    simgreensimgreen Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Because EA knows its the negative things that always amuse us. I love Bridezilla.
  • Options
    KarennKarenn Posts: 4,326 Member
    edited May 2011
    I love everything about this EP! I think this will be the best one yet that I REALLY LOVE and that i'll enjoy for months on end where as the other expansions i got bored of them quickly.
  • Options
    Jdrizzle91Jdrizzle91 Posts: 323 New Member
    edited May 2011
    honestly the negative things that teens are allowed to do aren't even that rebellious? If the least I had to worry about with my teen was ding **** ditching the neighbors with friends, I'd be thrilled.
    Theres no drinking or drugs, no teen woo hoo and most of the pranks(with the exception of egging) are pretty mild.

If anything this pack stayed clear of the really negative parts about raising a teenager.
  • Options
    JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member
    edited May 2011

Right there with ya sista!!! I, too have a teenage daughter and I have a son that is following right behind. But thankfully they are pretty helpful, especially now that I am on bedrest with my pregnancy. On a positive note, I get to sit in bed and play Generations!
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited May 2011

Personally I'd love it if teenagers could do that stuff. Maybe then I'd be able to make my perfect simself. :P

But seriously, something just dawned on me...why can't our sims text? I find that odd actuelly. They have a cell phone afterall. It would be kind of fun to fill in what your sim wanted to text to another sim, and set whether it's negative/neutral/positive. Sims could get a relation boost/decrease. :)
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited May 2011
    I think it's funny how seriously you are taking this. First of all, it's a GAME. It doesn't matter if it "simulates reality," it's a game. Secondly, you CONTROL what they do. No matter how high you set the free will you still control them. If you don't want them to do all of the "negative" things then don't have them do it.

And if that's all you got out of the trailer then maybe this isn't the expansion for you...there is a lot more than pranks to this pack.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited May 2011
    I think that EA is running out of ideas, they couldn't come up with anything truely original. I don't think that most people ever did most of the things that they put in the game when they were kids. They may have thought about it,but how many actually did it. I really think they could have done better, I only ordered it because I wanted certain things in it. I am sorry if I sound negative.
  • Options
    Jaelk01Jaelk01 Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jarsie9 wrote:

Heck, my *grandson* already does all that...(except for the texting, and if he had his way, he'd be on his mother's cell phone all the time punching that kitty!) and he's only three!

You made my morning with that comment, I'm listening to my kids in the next room.... *Priceless*

J.
  • Options
    Jaelk01Jaelk01 Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:
    honestly the negative things that teens are allowed to do aren't even that rebellious? If the least I had to worry about with my teen was ding **** ditching the neighbors with friends, I'd be thrilled.
    Theres no drinking or drugs, no teen woo hoo and most of the pranks(with the exception of egging) are pretty mild.

If anything this pack stayed clear of the really negative parts about raising a teenager.

Very "Brady Bunch" kind of things. I'm with you, I think that there's a lot more to worry bout raising teenagers then the possibility that they're egging my neighbor's house. ;)

J.
  • Options
    AnglePlay300AnglePlay300 Posts: 3,969 Member
    edited May 2011
    Jaelk01 wrote:
    Jdrizzle91 wrote:

Very "Brady Bunch" kind of things. I'm with you, I think that there's a lot more to worry bout raising teenagers then the possibility that they're egging my neighbor's house. ;)

J.

Not only is it really minor stuff compared to real life, but the DO get punished for it. Which is really a new level of realism when it comes to the sims. And I love it. Finally our kids and teens will get in trouble for doing something unruly.
  • Options
    LoofaBeanLoofaBean Posts: 72
    edited May 2011
    A good dose of negativity makes for some tasty drama. Still it's mild city when it comes to the Sims : P
  • Options
    xxStellaLUNAxxStellaLUNA Posts: 18
    edited May 2011
    candy8 wrote:
    I think that EA is running out of ideas, they couldn't come up with anything truely original. I don't think that most people ever did most of the things that they put in the game when they were kids. They may have thought about it,but how many actually did it. I really think they could have done better, I only ordered it because I wanted certain things in it. I am sorry if I sound negative.
    Whut?

I've had a imaginary friend.
    I've played in a treehouse.
    I've pretended I was a princess. Granted, I was an Elf Warrior princess with powers over water but it's still a princess nonetheless.
    I've been grounded over bad grades. (All the time, actually :-) )
    I've pulled pranks.
    I've been to prom a couple of months ago.

And, pretty much everyone I knew has done the same things. :P
    My mother checked up on me then started reading that. She laughed out. I'm just like "<.< I don't text."
    "Replace that with using the internet"
    "Fair enough."