Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question re save files

Does anyone else have this problem with CAW where they think they're nearly done but then find something else to do to improve? I fear my first neighbourhood may never be finished! :(

Anyway my question: I exported my neighbourhood from CAW and installed it so I could test it. I have since decided I wanted to include some residential lots and have done a lot of work building them in game, plus a couple of community lots. But now I have seen some areas where I would like to change terrain paints which means I need to get the file back into CAW, pref as it is with all the changes I made since I started playing it. Can this be done?

Can a save file be turned back into a .world file?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mikitta47mikitta47 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited May 2011
    you didn't back up your world file? If you did, the world will still be available to open up in CAW. If you DIDN'T, look in your backups.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    DocsprockDocsprock Posts: 3,869 Member
    edited May 2011
    I think there is a way to make a Save Game back into a CAW file. I havent a clue what it would entail, however. :(
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Some gymnastics with S3OC and some prayer and sweating, if what I've read is accurate.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone else have this problem with CAW where they think they're nearly done but then find something else to do to improve? I fear my first neighbourhood may never be finished! :(

Anyway my question: I exported my neighbourhood from CAW and installed it so I could test it. I have since decided I wanted to include some residential lots and have done a lot of work building them in game, plus a couple of community lots. But now I have seen some areas where I would like to change terrain paints which means I need to get the file back into CAW, pref as it is with all the changes I made since I started playing it. Can this be done?

Can a save file be turned back into a .world file?

Thanks

Hi,

Go into your game, save all your new lots into the bin (Library), open CAW- make the changes you want with the world- repaint areas, add lots with the CAW lot tool, go into EIG and place the lots your built and have in the bin.

EIG is part of CAW where you build on the empty lots like if you were in the game and used the Edit Town option.... :)

You do not have to open any files since you already have the world in CAW because you exported it to play....
    The addresses can be added in CAW/the Beautiful Vistas added to the lots in CAW. You might even find you like to do a little differently once you have CAW open.

Yes, I have gone back to the firs world I ever made and have changed it. Each one has something I would love to change or add. :)
  • Options
    pyrochemistpyrochemist Posts: 73
    edited May 2011
    Go into your game, save all your new lots into the bin (Library), open CAW- make the changes you want with the world- repaint areas, add lots with the CAW lot tool, go into EIG and place the lots your built and have in the bin.

I was hoping to avoid doing this, but don't know what S3OC and if someone who knows what they're doing says it involves prayer and sweating then it's probably not for a newbie like me!

Many thanks for your help guys, I see the same names popping up to help us new people. Appreciate it! :D
  • Options
    Rflong13Rflong13 Posts: 682 Member
    edited May 2011

I was hoping to avoid doing this, but don't know what S3OC and if someone who knows what they're doing says it involves prayer and sweating then it's probably not for a newbie like me!

Many thanks for your help guys, I see the same names popping up to help us new people. Appreciate it! :D

It's actually not as hard as you might think to update your world CAW. The roads do not have to be moved and you already built all the houses you want to add.

It's just a matter of adding the lots in CAW, addresses/Beautiful Vistas and then going into EIG to place the buildings. 30 minutes at most... ;)

Don't forget to rebuild the routing before you export. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought she was talking about an already exported world and if there's a way to put it back into CAW and edit it again. Once a world is exported into a package file, it has to be doctored to get it back into a world file for CAW.

Pyrochemist, check your backups before you try to reverse engineer the world through S3OC. You should have a saved file of your world that you can just pop back through CAW and do what ever editing you need to do.

God Bless,
    mik
  • Options
    Rflong13Rflong13 Posts: 682 Member
    edited May 2011
    No, they don't want to redo in CAW what they did to the exported world. Never said they lost the CAW files.

Unless I mis-read~It happens a lot here. :lol: