Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is probably the wrong place but....

This is probably the wrong place for this question to be asked, but I am a sims 2 fan as well as a sims 3 fan. I recently wiped and reloaded my iMac ( it had a virus, and is now fixed) , and at around that time I purchased the sims 3 mac/ p.c. DVD. however, I would like to put sims 2 back on as well, but as my iMac is obviously intel chipset, and sims 2 was made pre intel-apple harmony, sims 2 requires powerpc/ powermac chipset, so intel is not supported, thus i can't install sims 2. but I installed sims 2 on my iMac before I wiped it, and it was intel as well before (obviously) so I must have been using rosetta or something similar without knowing! do any of you lovely tech peeps know where I could get hold of rosetta?

thanks!

memoryst1ck

Comments

• Options
    Katkabaal3Katkabaal3 Posts: 320 Member
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited April 2011
    You got a virus? How did you manage that? :(

Rosetta should be on the installation disk you got with your iMac. But normally when you try and run older software that needs it on your Mac you will be prompted to download it from Apple automatically.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited April 2011
    TS2 is a Universal Binary; (read: Intel-native coding) it'll run on any Intel-based Mac, including those presumably updating to 10.7 Lion when it launches. (10.7 will remove Rosetta support, so no TS1 or TSCC for those who install it.)

http://www.aspyr.com/software/news/6/31

Use that link, (copy & paste if necessary,) download the UB patch, and follow the instructions. For more information, just Google "The Sims 2 Universal."
  • Options
    memoryst1ckmemoryst1ck Posts: 14
    edited April 2011
    okay... I am reading off the back of my TS2 box, directly underneath the system requirements:

"intel integrated video chipsets are not supported. apple original CPUs only.CPU upgrades not supported"

now unless I have gone completely blind or insane, that just said intel integrated chipsets not supported
    INTEL......NOT SUPPORTED

No, Katkabaal3, Rosseta stone is language tutoring software. Rosseta stone and rosseta are different things!

BluebellFlora, I got a virus from accidentally clicking on a 'open and save' dialog box in hotmail, which happened to come up at precisely the same time I double clicked on attachment in hotmail. I am currently on mac OSX. (obviously) I checked to see if rosseta was on their. it wasn't. I looked on the. apple.com forums. it seems as if it comes on the custom install disk for SNOW LEOPARD, but not leopard, sadly. I'm not gonna spend a hefty amount of money upgrading to a different version, just to play a computer game!!

AlexRoz9, don't you think I wouldn't be asking this question if it does run on UB? it doesn't. it came out BEFORE intel and apple started working together. meaning it only works on powerpc/mac ( basically g3, g4, g5)
    edited April 2011
    Snow Leopard isn't a huge amount of money - $29

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTc1MTEzNjY

It's more of an upgrade from Leopard rather than a whole new OS like Lion is going to be.

I still don't understand how you got a virus though - Macs can't open PC viruses, they don't know what to do with them. Unless you were running Windows on your Mac? The dialogue box you mentioned sounds like a typical Windows one.

Sure there are a few Mac viruses out there but in all my 22 years of using Macs I've never had one and never used antivirus.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    edited April 2011
    If you run OSX 10.5x Rosetta should be pre-installed. They removed Rosetta from the standard 10.6 and made it available as a separate install as a first step to say bye bye.
    And if you don't believe me either I can show you my Macbook running Sims1 under 10.5.8.
    And also, when Aspyr releases a Universal Binary patch this means, if I'm not terribly mistaken, that no matter what the dsik case says they upgraded the game to make it available for Intel Macs, too. It's just that the boxed game version will not be universal binary but the patched one will.