Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas for skills?

All of the different skills the sims can learn are my favorite part of the game! My favorites are probably the gardening and sculpting ones.
Does anyone have ideas for cool new skills the sims needs?

I think with the inevitable pets ep, an "animal trainer" skill would be really cool; starting with just basic tricks, and getting more and more funny and complex.

Comments

• Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited February 2011
    I feel like baking should be a skill, that and floral arrangement.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Jaghar7Jaghar7 Posts: 3,314 New Member
    edited February 2011
    If done right I can see animal training. Adding new skills rather than simply compressing everything into a set few is one thing I think Sims Studio did right. The only thing I worry about is the tabs on the skill journal getting too cluttered. They may need to make adjustments.

When magic comes out for TS3 it will almost certainly be a new skill. It could probably also be broken down into other skills like perhaps potion brewing but for the scope of TS3 that seems unnecessarily complex (though I wouldn't mind it). That being said.. I really miss the potion table from TS1. heh

Fire Dancing was pretty cool.. maybe break dancing. Something sims can do for tips. I would imagine those would be hidden skills though like the current dancing skills.

How about Toy Making? It would go right along with other workbenches. Well it could be redundant since the inventor can already make toys. meh
  • Options
    Cody2225Cody2225 Posts: 47
    edited February 2011
    dj skill
  • Options
    Jaghar7Jaghar7 Posts: 3,314 New Member
    edited February 2011
    That occured to me but it doesn't seem like there's enough there for a full-fledged skill. Would be a good hidden skill though, which it was in TS2. But then again they managed to put Mixology as a 10 level skill so who knows? Maybe someone who knows something about DJing professionally could give a detailed idea on how it could be done?

I personally would love to see some sort of crafting skill that made use of rocks and gems. Jewelry making or something but that would only work if they added unlockable items that could be purchased like in *gasp* TS2. The item texture would depend on the materials used.

I always thought it would be cool if we could make our own little statues like jade dragons or gold etc. Perhaps metal working of some kind?
  • Options
    BurginbabeBurginbabe Posts: 178 Member
    edited February 2011
    I would love a barista skill! It would be so cool to open up your own coffee shop/internet cafe where you could sell paintings that your sim made!!
  • Options
    virginblue4virginblue4 Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2011
    What about some sort of drink making skill? You could use the gardening skill to pick fruit and vegetables, and use them to make basic juices such as apple, pomegranate, tomato, grape juice. As your sim progresses in the skill you could make different blends on juices and non-alcoholic cocktails. Then you could bottle them and sell them. It's a good idea, but may be like nectar making. Different types of water could be made. You could have rocks in the garden which the water runs through which filters it etc. Also you could have some sort of machine to add the 'fizz' to the drinks.

• Options
    Ricky_BoRicky_Bo Posts: 325
    edited February 2011
    Kail16 wrote:
    I feel like backing should be a skill, that and floral arrangement.

Wouldn't baking be an inherent part of cooking? Floral arrangement would be cool as a hidden sub-skill of gardening, but I don't think it would be a skill on its own.
    What about some sort of drink making skill? You could use the gardening skill to pick fruit and vegetables, and use them to make basic juices such as apple, pomegranate, tomato, grape juice. As your sim progresses in the skill you could make different blends on juices and non-alcoholic cocktails. Then you could bottle them and sell them. It's a good idea, but may be like nectar making. Different types of water could be made. You could have rocks in the garden which the water runs through which filters it etc. Also you could have some sort of machine to add the 'fizz' to the drinks.

Mixology? Well, you can't bottle them and sell them but you can create your own drinks and learn the drinks from other mixologists.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No I don't feel baking and cooking are all the same skill, not even in real life. There are plenty of great chefs that aren't the best bakers in the world, trust me.

I feel like Baking is something that should have been left to stand on its own, then you could have had all kinds of deserts, different cookies, cakes, pies,maybe even the ability to bake a wedding cake and that gives the opportunity to introduce new fruits, berries and flavors like vanilla, chocolate and caramel.

That's what I think. Maybe call it a pastry skill instead.
  • Options
    SimeanerBeanerSimeanerBeaner Posts: 193
    edited February 2011
    I hope they re-add pottery, sewing, flower arrangement, object making (toys, electronics, furniture, etc). I think the idea of jewelry making is really cool too, it could go well with collecting you could make jewelry with different gems and metals you find, and they would be worth different amounts depending on the materials. Pet training would also be a really neat idea, and it could be made into a new profession as well.

I hope they add dancing (ballet) and violin too. I really miss how children could work on these skills, it would also be cool to have singing, and all the skills to be open to children. I really miss the car building too and i think there should be skills for different sports, like soccer and basketball and children's teams and teen teams and then pro teams and rec teams for YA and Adults. and children could learn a skill from their parents, for example car building, they couldnt do that on their own but a son could help his dad and learn in the process it would create great interactions between family members too. generations anyone :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    kitandraekitandrae Posts: 1,081 New Member
    edited February 2011
    Dancing: for each music a dance type

skate boarding: with skate parks

surfing: need more ocean interaction

boxing: win fights -new carrer in professinal sports

Hell a whole line of new jobs and skills for sports more athletic the faster you learn the sport : basket ball, baseball, soccor, volleyball, golf, ect.

sewing- new carrers- fashion designer kinda like stylist but have to create a whole line and be critized, the rabbitwhoel could include a modeling carrer as well

• Options
    SimeanerBeanerSimeanerBeaner Posts: 193
    edited February 2011
    kitandrae wrote:

Hell a whole line of new jobs and skills for sports more athletic the faster you learn the sport : basket ball, baseball, soccor, volleyball, golf, ect.

sewing- new carrers- fashion designer kinda like stylist but have to create a whole line and be critized, the rabbitwhoel could include a modeling carrer as well

I really like that skateboarding idea, i never thought about that but it could create a whole new theme and interaction for kids and teens.
  • Options
    sitharositharo Posts: 36
    edited February 2011
    HURLING :mrgreen:

I know unlikely :(

How about video gaming :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh my! I love the sewing idea! That sounds so wonderful. Hmm perhaps one day our Sims will be able to learn a surfing skill.

Gymnastics sounds fun, a jewelry crafting skill, and I would like to see pottery come back. Can more sports come into play as skills? I want my Sims to play tennis. And what about maybe, An Ice Cream Making Skill. Like you could learn to make different flavors, eventually be able to use different toppings, and be able to use waffle cones, progress to double and triple scoop cones and then be able to do banana splits and Sundays with chocolate syrup and caramel, whip cream and such. Oh and be able to set up an ice cream cart, one that's portable, make yourself a little cash!
  • Options
    PuckhawkPuckhawk Posts: 136
    edited February 2011
    One I want more than anything is to be different skills for different sports, such as basketball, soccer, football, baseball etc. When you get a job in the athletic career you can pick your track. Also, children&teens can join sports as after school activities (set up like a part time job.)

• Options
    TracykatladyTracykatlady Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2011
    sitharo wrote:
    How about video gaming :mrgreen:

I want that! Nerd sims aren't the same when they aren't playing games and fighting for the title of 'the better one' (even though there isn't a title the feeling is still there, trust me, I know!) Then there could be a lifetime wish "Be the best video gamer in town" or something like that. It could also become a profession :D

Video games could be buy-able at the grocery store and they could have wishes for making the purchase of certain games or playing or beating another sim at a game.
  • Options
    Danoush360Danoush360 Posts: 8
    edited February 2011
    Gaming skill
    8) :mrgreen::mrgreen: :-o
  • Options
    LysistrataLysistrata Posts: 323 Member
    edited February 2011
    Kail16 wrote:
    No I don't feel baking and cooking are all the same skill, not even in real life. There are plenty of great chefs that aren't the best bakers in the world, trust me.

I feel like Baking is something that should have been left to stand on its own, then you could have had all kinds of deserts, different cookies, cakes, pies,maybe even the ability to bake a wedding cake and that gives the opportunity to introduce new fruits, berries and flavors like vanilla, chocolate and caramel.

Great idea; I totally agree! I'm always wishing for more food stuffs in the game. They're not a huge deal to program in, and they go a looooong way in adding more realism to the game! :)
  • Options
    brutalhazzabrutalhazza Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    kitandrae wrote:

I am liking these a lot!
    They all sound great!
    Great ideas!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lysistrata wrote:
    Kail16 wrote:

Great idea; I totally agree! I'm always wishing for more food stuffs in the game. They're not a huge deal to program in, and they go a looooong way in adding more realism to the game! :)

That is so true, its a simple addition that adds a level realism, I totally agree, I still really want an ice cream making skill though! Oh Just imagine.