Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Case of the Cop Gone Rogue - Need Help!!

:!: :!:

My Sim has the investigator career. I haven't had any problems solving the previous cases. But right now I am stuck on The Case of the Cop Gone Rogue. I have the whole thing solved, actually, except for the last part, 'Confirm Criminals Presence'.

At City Hall, my Sim is suppose to Confirm Criminal's Presence, but Bill Racket is never there! I've had my sim stake out the place, take a tour of the building. I'm on the third day now -I think- and still every time I check, and move my cursor over the yellow 'Confirm Criminal's Presence' option, a grey box momentarily pops up to tell me that I have to wait for Bill Racket to arrive first.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else had this case and solved it? If so, just how long, how many days Sim days does it take before Bill Racket goes to City Hall so I can have my Sim confirm his presence and close this case?

I've had her tour the building, stake out the place a few times, keep checking on it.. Am I doing something wrong?!?!!! PLEASE HELP!!
:shock: :?:

Comments

• Options
    SciFiWarlockSciFiWarlock Posts: 5,267 Member
    edited June 2010
    Maybe go to Bill Racket's house and follow him until he gets to City hall. Only thing I can think of.

In my game I can't do that even if I got this case cause my Racket household moved away :cry:

I really wanted to keep at least Shark Racket in my game.
  • Options
    sarab1960sarab1960 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I haven't had this problem with the investigator career, or even gotten that far with it yet, but I did have a similar thing happen with one of the 'adventures' in WA. And since the WA adventures and detective missions are pretty much built with the same code as far as I can see, maybe the same thing happened. Anyway, I was doing some adventure for the guy who owned the winery and he retired (or died, or moved away) before I finished my adventure, the last step of which was to report back to him. Once his replacement as the head of the winery showed up in the game (a few game days?), I was able to complete the adventure. Now, whether this will work with the detective missions or not I do not know. You may have to delete the mission (it may even re-appear after you delete it and a replacement sim appear for you to report to). I believe you can delete the mission through the opportunities screen.
  • Options
    fleshjennfleshjenn Posts: 4,919 Member
    edited June 2010
    i got a mission i SV where I had to wait for some guy to show up a the science lab, after a few days of him not showing up, I invited him out to the science lab. once he showed I was able to complete the mission.
  • Options
    sillehbeesillehbee Posts: 704 Member
    edited June 2010
    Invite him over? o-o;
  • Options
    MoxieAndShadowMoxieAndShadow Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2010
    Wow you guys reply fast, thanks!! :D I closed the case. Still not sure why it suddenly worked though. I had my Sim work on day to day stuff, and then noticed that the (opportunity log?) said (confirm something, sorry I don't remember exactly, I think it said confirm suspect or confirm criminal), anyway, when I saw it I clicked on it, my Sim automatically went to City Hall, went inside, then after a short wait came out and the case was solved and she got another reward. I don't know why it suddenly worked, maybe I just wasn't patient enough, or maybe I needed to increase one of her skills first. I did notice that the previous day three of the Racket family members showed up at City Hall -I'd talked to them hoping it would trigger something, they'd say something about him not coming or hiding out somewhere, something, (grasping at straws ;) ) but nothing happened. Had her go home, take care of her needs, play chess. When she woke up the next morning I noticed the 'confirm criminal' or 'confirm suspect', clicked on it and the rest as they say.. is history.

It never even occurred to me to cancel the opportunity. Staking out his house was a great idea, wish I had thought of that! But turned out alright. :D

Oh, while I got your attention. In a previous sim incarnation my sim had the scientist career, one of her opportunities was to catch three frogs. Went to the nearest place of water where sims can fish, noticed something in the water, moved cursor over it -didn't say what it was but I had her catch it because I was hoping it was a frog. It wasn't, it was a water beetle. Anyway, the problem was that after I caught it, my sim could no longer fish! Nor could she take a fishing class, the fishing class option wasn't 'clickable', and none of the lakes where she could previous fish .. I'd click on them and no fishing option would appear. I had her free the beetle, she cried, but still couldn't fish!

I tried everything I could to fix it, and nothing worked. So I deleted that saved game and started a new one. The one I'm playing now, I just made her an investigator instead of a scientist.

But just out of curiosity, did anyone else have that problem? And if so, how did you fix it? Or did you fix it? 8)
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Wow you guys reply fast, thanks!! :D I closed the case. Still not sure why it suddenly worked though. I had my Sim work on day to day stuff, and then noticed that the (opportunity log?) said (confirm something, sorry I don't remember exactly, I think it said confirm suspect or confirm criminal), anyway, when I saw it I clicked on it, my Sim automatically went to City Hall, went inside, then after a short wait came out and the case was solved and she got another reward.

I'm stuck on the same case and it's been over a week now... what's frustrating is, I stand at City Hall waiting for him to show up, and at 1:00 pm every workday I actually SEE him walk into the building - but I can't call the cops! He's right THERE... but I can't do anything! This happened once before and I just cancelled the opportunity after a few days out of frustration... I don't want to do that again, especially since this appears to be a special case that your investigator has to solve before he/she can move on.

I just don't get it... I've looked everywhere on the Internet and nobody has said how to get around this issue, how to solve it or how to skip it. I'm stuck!!
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Take a tour of the building while he is inside, so that you can see that he's inside.
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited December 2010
    Take a tour of the building while he is inside, so that you can see that he's inside.

Excellent idea, but I just tried that... didn't work. :(

I've tried doing a stakeout while the politician walks in, I've tried going to his house and chatting him up, I've tried inviting him to City Hall and touring with him. This is weird... has anyone else experienced this? Is it a bug, or am I just missing some vital piece?

(I can't call the cops on my own while I'm standing there... you can't call for services when you're away from home)
  • Options
    azspdoguyazspdoguy Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2011
    ... I closed the case. Still not sure why it suddenly worked though. I had my Sim work on day to day stuff,..

Yep I had the same problem. I tried waiting for the opportunity button to change so I could click on it, touring, I even tried doing a stakeout when he came and left work, but nothing seemed to work, so I canceled after about Sim week. I was at level 10 of the Investigator career and had mastered Logic. I guess I just wasn't patient enough.

Kudos to you for being patient enough to solve that case.
  • Options
    SimCelticSimCeltic Posts: 20 New Member
    edited January 2011
    I've had this happen to me, when it came time to confirm the suspect's presence at their workplace. The problem was the suspect was not going to work. While trying to figure this out I followed one of these suspect sims around and found them doing strange things such as going to a high rise home and standing in the lobby reading a book for hours on end when they were suppose to be at work.

The only work-around I found to get this type of case solved where the the investigator needs to confirm the presence of the suspect at their workplace has been to invite the suspect over for a visit and then ask them to spend the night; this assumes the investigator is friends with the suspect and that the next day is a workday for the suspect. The next day when the suspect's work start time rolls around, they'll leave and go to work. Once they are inside, you can have the investigator click on the building and there should be a yellow menu option to "confirm presence" should be available, should also to be able to do this from MAP mode but I've not tried this. Doing so makes the investigator enter the workplace. In my experience, once this is done the investigator didn't get immediate credit for completing the case but rather the completion occurred when the suspect arrived at the workplace on the following day. Definitely odd and buggy.

Good luck, hope this helps.
  • Options
    azspdoguyazspdoguy Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2011
    SimCeltic wrote:
    ...The only work-around I found to get this type of case solved where the the investigator needs to confirm the presence of the suspect at their workplace has been to invite the suspect over for a visit and then ask them to spend the night...
    You're kidding, right? You have to sleep with the suspect before you can confirm their presence?

I did see my Sim's suspect go to work 2 days in a row. Both times I clicked on the suspect as he was going to work and got the message that he was going to work, but I couldn't interact with him. Once he was at work I clicked on the building, but the yellow button didn't show up. I also clicked on him when he was leaving work and got a similar message to the first.

[Edit]
    Come to think of it, I don't think I actually ever met the suspect, so next time it comes up, I will try that and see how far they make me go until I can confirm their presence.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    cangeletticangeletti Posts: 19 New Member
    edited January 2011
    I'm having the same issues..Tried all of the suggestions and NOTHING is working! It's frustrating!
  • Options
    MaxQBakerMaxQBaker Posts: 493
    edited January 2011
    cangeletti wrote:
    I'm having the same issues..Tried all of the suggestions and NOTHING is working! It's frustrating!
    Ditto. have had both scenarios so far; confirm presence at science lab, and confirm presence at city hall. Nothing. Very annoying.
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited January 2011
    Oh, while I got your attention. In a previous sim incarnation my sim had the scientist career, one of her opportunities was to catch three frogs. Went to the nearest place of water where sims can fish, noticed something in the water, moved cursor over it -didn't say what it was but I had her catch it because I was hoping it was a frog. It wasn't, it was a water beetle. Anyway, the problem was that after I caught it, my sim could no longer fish! Nor could she take a fishing class, the fishing class option wasn't 'clickable', and none of the lakes where she could previous fish .. I'd click on them and no fishing option

You can only catch Frogs in France. Dunno about the problem with not being able to fish though.
  • Options
    kitkat107kitkat107 Posts: 18 New Member
    edited February 2011
    the reason it takes so long is because you have to wait until he goes to work at city hall. it takes a few days because it always seems to happen on the days he has off. when he does go to work there will be a button that will send your sim to city hall. i hope this helps! :D
  • Options
    stilicho410stilicho410 Posts: 58 New Member
    edited September 2013
    3 Years since this problem was first reported, and it's still around.

Like the others, the "Confirm Criminal" is always greyed out. Hover the mouse over it, and it says I need to wait for Harry Marks to show up.

I've saved the game, gone to Edit Town, and verified that Harry does work at City Hall, 1 PM to 6 PM Mon - Fri. (This is in Brideport.)
    I had to reload the save, since one loses oppotunities after switching families like that.)

The last straw was when I saw Harry enter City Hall shortly after 1:00 PM. The "Confirm Criminal" button remained greyed out.

My investigator is Level 10 Career, Level 10 logic, so it can't be lack of skill.

It looks like this case is simply bugged, and EA has no intention of ever fixing it, and probably never even tested it. I reckon I'll just have to cancel this case.

• Options
    PlyrOwnerPlyrOwner Posts: 200 Member
    edited October 2013
    stillchao she closed the case as in solved it! someone needs to close or lock this thread!
  • Options
    EchoweverEchowever Posts: 411 Member
    I just ran into a string of trouble with this case, so I thought I'd add my experiences. People still find these old threads when they're searching on the same problem! Heh.

It's really just a collection of things that can go wrong with PI cases. I got them all on this case because it's so !@#$ long.

First, the stakeout failed. The first time she attempted it, one guy showed up, but the other guy he needed to talk to never did. I tried about five more times, and nothing. So I reset my PI sim. Then the stakeout worked. It looks kind of like you can get into a hung state if only one person shows up at a stakeout.

Second, at the 8th (I think) step, you have to go talk to a criminal. I'm playing in Aurora Skies, and the criminal was Oskar Olsen. I kept getting the whole case dropped because he was "unavailable." So I reset HIM, and I was finally able to go talk to him.

I'm pretty sure the politician would have come to work properly, but I didn't understand. I just invited her to the lot, and it didn't work. I was pretty ticked off. I eventually tried using NRaas Mastercontroller to send her to work (Sim->NRaas->MasterController->Sim->Intermediate->Career->Go to Work.) Then the case worked. The last bit was cheating, but I did that stakeout FIVE TIMES. I put in the effort :-P.

If you mod, NRaas DebugEnabler is invaluable. If you click your PI Sim, you can select NRaas->DebugEnabler->Opportunities->Add Opportunity->Career->Case and add back the step of the case that dropped or had to be dropped due to glitching out.

With few rare exceptions, NRaas DebugEnabler just makes it easier to use the existing EA game cheats, so there's probably a way to add back an opportunity without the mod. Carl's Sims Guide alludes to one: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/cheats.php.

I don't cheat in general, but I am more than willing to cheat when the game glitches out on me.

HTH.
    SampleGen6Banner.jpg