Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Estyle36 has some questions for you guys !

estyle36estyle36 Posts: 1,338 New Member
Hello guys !

I'm about to create my own world and so i'd need you to answer some of my questions before i start please !

1- Is it normal that i don't see the Riverview's bridges in CAW ? Are they there ?

2- Would you know a free image converter to transform JPEG or PNG images into DDS ones ? I found some, but they mark every images i convert :(

3- Is there a possible way to recolor the CAW objetcs ? Like the bridges ?

Estyle

EDIT : Guys, i ave a problem here ! The image converting worked well, but now when i add this this texture in CAW :
text1-4038db5262.jpg

I obtain this ... :
txtdsh2-ae8710ed47.jpg

What's the matter ???

Comments

• Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited September 2010
    estyle36 wrote:
    Hello guys !

I'm about to create my own world and so i'd need you to answer some of my questions before i start please !

1- Is it normal that i don't see the Riverview's bridges in CAW ? Are they there ?

2- Would you know a free image converter to transform JPEG or PNG images into DDS ones ? I found some, but they mark every images i convert :(

3- Is there a possible way to recolor the CAW objetcs ? Like the bridges ?

Estyle

Hi, Estyle! :mrgreen:

1 - Yes, it is normal to see the Riverview Bridge missing. Infact, it's not a bridge. It's only two pieces of a sort of facade (I think you'd call it) I personally, would like to have them, but EA did not grant my wish. :?

2 - I don't have a clue what that means, sorry. :( I'm sure someone else will though ..

3 - I'm sure there is ... I heard that you can change the colour of rabbitholes, the sky, moon etc. But, it looks very complicated indeed ... there was a thread about all that a whie back. Sorry I cna't provide it.

Hope that helped. :P
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for replying Conorsim !

Here is the second question : I have a JPEG format image and i'd like to convert it into a DDS format, but i don't have any image converter
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited September 2010
    wyndhane is the genius with the files, i think converting a JPEG to a DDS is quite complicated, personally id convert it to a TGA file,

photoshop the latest version can do all these things, also can convert heightmaps without the fuzzy lines, though im running a trial version, i can get 80% off because im a student :roll: sadly, i dont have any money what so ever

paintshop can change files to tga simple and quick

gimp works well too!many people would recommend that

and paint.net im told,

changing rabbit holes is not really all that complicated, it does require some fairly good skills in a editing program though, iv been meaning to do something .... i will brb to this message :roll:
  • Options
    angel_lillieangel_lillie Posts: 47 New Member
    edited September 2010
    You need DDS plugins for which ever graphics program you're using. The photoshop ones are here:
    http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html
    Or, Gimp here:
    http://registry.gimp.org/node/70
    Not sure about other programs though.

You can recolour rabbit holes, bridges etc. Stw's thread about it here:
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/238319.page
  • Options
    drowssapdrowssap Posts: 2,007 Member
    edited September 2010
    oh yes plugins :lol: i forgot all about them, and thankyou angel_lillie for the link! i wanted to have another look at something on there but i couldn't find it
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    edited September 2010
    So Estyle..
    The guy that lost his inspiration for lot building is moving on to worlds. Good luck in your endeavor! You should take the time to read the manual (it is not great, but has alot you should know) and take a look at some of the posts here. All the questions you asked have been answered here before. You would not have to wait for an answer if you search it. I found in my CAW days that it was alot quicker to search. So what kind of world are you doing? Any theme in mind?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey ya kimjo313 !

I tried to search but most of the time the searching log doesn't work here and i don't know why so ... :) Anyway, don't worry, i already read the manual and saw tones of world on this forum and i'll for sure take care of my world as i took care of every house i made before :D . Now for the kind of world, i won't tell you now because it's a secret, hehe. This world will probably take me pretty much time to do so i prefer to not make a thread of it or simply talk about it.

angel_lillie : Thank you so much ! I have gimp but how does that plugin work ?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't know, I got the link off MTS for Gimp because I use Photoshop. With the photoshop one you just double clicked to install it. You'll have to read the instructions on the page with the download.

If you follow the link given and then click on the downloads tab there is a file gimp-dds.pdf - try downloading that, hopefully there will be instructions in that. I've never used Gimp so I can't help any more than that unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok ! But i have Photosop CS5 :D . I only use gimp because i don't know how to install photoshop plugins lol. But do you think the plugin you use for photoshop one ?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Please someone ?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, IIRC the photoshop plugins should work with CS5 and I think they look much easier to install.

Click on the current version link at the bottom of the page and then save the exe file somewhere (like your downloads folder or your desktop) then double click the file and it will install the plugins for you.