Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestion for Item Exchange

Objects & Item Exchange:

The game has been out for a little over 24 hours and already the Sims 3 Item exchange is exploding with custom content!

Is it really though? I've noticed that the majority of the items on the item exchange are just "styled" content through the highly customizable style tool that came with the game.

While it's still great to be able to allow users to upload their custom "styled" objects to the exchange, it makes it difficult to find any "new" player created content. (As mentioned previously the content is just customized objects that were included with the purchase of "The Sims 3")

Although I'm sure there isn't much new player made objects out there yet, It might be a good idea to add a sorting option in the item exchange between actual new custom content (models, objects ect.) and "styled" default game objects before we see an explosion of new "player created" objects.

Thanks,
Justin

Comments

• Options
    jayvaughan08jayvaughan08 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    bump^^
  • Options
    SilaithweinSilaithwein Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2009
    Haven't even checked what item exchange is like yet, but this sounds like a good, sound idea :D
  • Options
    TsolLuosTsolLuos Posts: 17 New Member
    edited June 2009
    That's IF they choose to allow new items/cloths/haircuts/objects. Offically anyway. Its gonna happen VIA mod, but I'm not sure about the offical stance yet.
  • Options
    jayvaughan08jayvaughan08 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    TsolLuos wrote:
    That's IF they choose to allow new items/cloths/haircuts/objects. Offically anyway. Its gonna happen VIA mod, but I'm not sure about the offical stance yet.

That's a good point. As you mentioned, even if EA doesn't release tools to make such custom items eventually the community will make their own.

However, if they choose to not officially support it in hopes of advancing their Sims Store then I pity them. There's no reason to not have both player made content and EA sponsored content. They will severely impair the game's re-playability (longevity) factor and hurt themselves in the long run. After all, a large element of the Sims 3 came in employing the most popular custom content makers from the Sims 2 and that's what allowed them to create their Sims Store and further develop the game. Surely they wouldn't want to stifle any new talent that will emerge in the future.

I really hope that they their priorities on player satisfaction are higher or at least inline with with profit. This statement isn't coming from one of the complainers either. I'm quite impressed by the game so far and congratulate EA on their efforts. The game is far from finished though, I'm sure expansions are in the future for the Sims 3 just like it's predecessors.

• Options
    thetxsvxnthetxsvxn Posts: 108 Member
    edited June 2009
    I read somewhere that they intend to release a developer's tool set within a few days of the Sims3 release (presumably after the flood of initial technical support calls has died down). Having that sort feature would become very important at that point.