Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wait, what?

I bought a cash card at Best Buy when I bought the Sims 3 and, when I tried to redeem it, had to pay 'taxes' on the points after buying the piece of plastic itself for USD $10.

I now have only 1,938 Simpoints and I am not pleased. If $10 does not equal 1,000 points as was implied, then I am not spending any more money on the online store.

Is this intentional? I sincerely hope it isn't. Not even iTunes is this price-gougingly happy.

Comments

• Options
    BizzairBizzair Posts: 12 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Why would you buy sim points anyway? Imagine? Having to spend 10$ for a new couch in the Sims 3 hahaha..

I will not be buying any sims card and spending more money then the game to buy 5 new items.

But on your subject, that is lame.

I think the sims people are starting to get like the world of warcraft crap. Paying every month to play a video game? LOL

Paying 10$ for a new living room set? haha.
  • Options
    ahnnajadeahnnajade Posts: 231 Member
    edited June 2009
    uhm,,,,,,,, WoW isn't necessarily anymore expensive than buying stuff packs and Ep's as they are released for the sims. Not to mention WoW has free events, actually does have server costs, and the enormous community creates new challenges and gaming experiences.

And considering people spend hours upon hours upon hours playing it, and would be willing to spend 15 dollars for a two hour movie ticket, your cost for entertainment in games is relatively low. Not that I'd reccomend spending 40 hours a week gaming but I DIGRESS.

The tax thing is ridiculous lol. I could see paying tax at the store as you ring it up, I suppose, but I can't believe they can take it out of your POINTS...

I'm sorry... they are running their new glitz awful shoddy. Don't think even WoW would make it charging 15 dollars for a sword with the very tip lopped off for tax.

Okay. Maybe WoW would.

You know, it probably h as to do with them not wanting you to have an even number of points. If you think about it, since all the costs are 0 or 5 increments, odd numbers like that wont be spent. "I already have 73 points and this thingy is 75... I'll buy a new card."

e.e
  • Options
    akbo123akbo123 Posts: 33 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Not WoW crap. This is more like "Free Korean MMOs" where they have to buy game cards to buy power ups and get better armor.

But yeah, I agree. They should sell the card like $10.50 and the 50 cents is for taxes, $ 10.00 is the points itself.

This means they lied, 10 bucks=/= 1000 points, 10 bucks= 938 points.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Akbo - Ahh, and what if I offer you a shiny glowy flamey sword with boomboom sound affects when you hit green things, what then? -10 percent of the flame. for tax.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ahnnajade wrote:
    Akbo - Ahh, and what if I offer you a shiny glowy flamey sword with boomboom sound affects when you hit green things, what then? -10 percent of the flame. for tax.

WoW=/= powerup for money game, WoW=Monthly Subscription game.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    lies. you have to pay them 10 dollars when you tick off your guildies and have to hop servers so nobody knows you.
    Or 15 or.. whatever it is..

See, there! We should be thankful we don't have to pay for transferring our sims from one neighborhood to the next!
  • Options
    rhoswenrhoswen Posts: 42 New Member
    edited June 2009
    ahnnajade wrote:
    lies. you have to pay them 10 dollars when you tick off your guildies and have to hop servers so nobody knows you.
    Or 15 or.. whatever it is..

See, there! We should be thankful we don't have to pay for transferring our sims from one neighborhood to the next!

To be totally fair, if you tick off your guildies so much you need to change servers AND your name, your guildies would probably be more than happy to pay the cost, just to see you go. XP

On that same note, you don't HAVE to transfer servers or change names. It's not required. You could always start a new character somewhere, which, really, it doesn't take all that long to level up a new character. I've done it. And it was free.

My problem with taking the taxes out of the card points is that it isn't conspicuously stated anywhere that they plan to take the taxes out like that. On top of that, seriously, round the numbers to increments of 5. What the heck.
  • Options
    KraylessaKraylessa Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2009
    WoW is simply not comparable to the Sims in any way. The money Blizzard charges for monthly subscriptions goes to pay for server maintenance, new hardware, and content updates. When you play WoW, you are using Blizzard's resources (server and bandwidth) and that costs money.

The only additional charges associated with WoW are things like server transfers and name changes. The reason for the cost associated with them is again, the resources involved, and also to discourage abuse. They don't want people server hopping willy nilly and changing their names on a whim, so the costs help to keep the actual transactions to a minimum.

If at some point people were having to pay real world money for additional in game items, you can bet there would be riots. Saying that the Sims Store is in any way modeled after WoW is just blatantly misinformed. I am not thrilled with the Store prices at all, by the way. I agree with the person who suggested that all prices should be cut to a third of what they are now or one penny should buy you three Sims point instead of just one.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh.. I wish I'd of known, I could of billed them.
    ;D I was only using that as an example, mind you! I was so beloved they gave cutting my ethernet cord in half a second thought.

I'm trying to imagine what would happen to itunes if, when you clicked buy song and it said 99 cents, it turned into '103 (tax)' when you clicked again for confirmation...

Kray - ahh, it wasn't meant to be literal, at least on my part I was joking around. A lot of simmers won't get the point of WoW, though, and to them virtual chairs might be more or less the same as a subscription. What I do find somewhat telling though is how quick people are to defend WoW and how generally praised Blizzard is for it's business practices... I wonder if that's something EA will be able to boast after too long, now :P
  • Options
    KraylessaKraylessa Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2009
    ahnnajade wrote:
    What I do find somewhat telling though is how quick people are to defend WoW and how generally praised Blizzard is for it's business practices... I wonder if that's something EA will be able to boast after too long, now :P

There is a reason they have over 11 million active subscriptions. They are doing something right!
  • Options
    shaon94shaon94 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Just be patient with the community they will eventually come out with stuff. do not waste your money on the store. Use your free points up but do not spend any further money.
  • Options
    grapecoffeegrapecoffee Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009

11.5 million subscribers is not equal to 11.5 million active players, that being said... Comparing it to the Sims is like... comparing The Sims to WoW. lol
  • Options
    SteamSeraphSteamSeraph Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I just realized that I have a balance of one cent left on the website, meaning that along with the $00.61 tax, there will forever be a single cent that I can't remove without spending more money. I can see where this is going. It will always end up with a one cent balance, won't it?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ahnnajade wrote:
    I'm trying to imagine what would happen to itunes if, when you clicked buy song and it said 99 cents, it turned into '103 (tax)' when you clicked again for confirmation...

Actually, it's more like itunes only giving you 90% of the song for 90 cents rather than making you pay $1.05. It makes sense since it's $10 but she is getting $9 worth of simpoints.

I pity you, and most of all I pity EA for making the stuff so freaking expensive. A chair that I cannot sit on is not worth my 75 cents, mind you. It's like selling ice to eskimos.
  • Options
    Satelitte-RuleSatelitte-Rule Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Unless you live in the same state that is offering the "merchandise" then internet sales tax is unconstitutional and illegal. If you are a victim of this then you should provide proof of this to the IRS. It is interstate commerce. The internet has no geographical boundaries. A state taxing business activity in other states violates the Constitution of the United States. Look up Interstate Taxation and the Commerce Clause and Due Process Clause. :wink:
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    edited December 2012
    When you buy the cash card it is like buying a gift card and they don't charge tax on gift cards. So you pay $10 cash for a $10 gift card.

Usually when you buy merchandise online from anywhere, you get charged tax for it. I can't imagine why EA would go through all the trouble and paperwork of charging tax for their merchandise if they didn't have to.

Generally a simpoint is worth one penny (here in the U.S.), but if you buy a large simpoint bundle then you are paying less than a penny per sim point and the larger the bundle, the less the individual simpoints costs. It would be a nightmare for EA to try to charge tax for individual store purchases because a 50 simpoint shirt may work out to have only cost you 48 cents in real money because of the simpoint bundle you purchased. So would they charge you tax on 50 cents or 48 cents or what? That's why I think they charge the tax on the bundles. If you buy $20 worth of simpoints, you're basically paying tax on the $20 worth of stuff you intend to buy with the simpoints.

I'm sorry you felt taken advantage of, but I hope this explanation helps you to feel better about your purchase.
  • Options
    VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I hope you guys realize that this thread was from 2009.
  • Options
    A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    edited December 2012
    Seriously?! :oops: I've got to start looking at the dates of these posts...