Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to disable ENABLE DATA LOGGING - anyone experiencing this?

In the options area - where you can enable aging, etc., there is a new option to enable data logging.

i uncheck it, go to play and go back to options and it is automatically rechecked.

so, are we really not able to uncheck this option?

Comments

• Options
    MirrorsEdgeFanMirrorsEdgeFan Posts: 1,168 New Member
    edited June 2010
    what on earth is data logging.
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited June 2010
    It states that enabling this option provides Electronic Arts with game play data that will be used to improve the play experience.

Why aren't the forums enough to provide feedback for this info?

Also, why won't this option stay unchecked?
  • Options
    SabrosaSabrosa Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited June 2010
    not having this problem, some one else posted this, so i check it out, and I am able to uncheck the box, and it stays uncheck.
    make sure you click the check mark to apply changes before going back to the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I did make sure to apply changes and have a ticket in with EA help to see why it does not stay unchecked.

• Options
    SabrosaSabrosa Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited June 2010
    that is strange that it won't stay unchecked. I hope EA is able to help you. :) Happy Simming
  • Options
    SimGuruLilySimGuruLily Posts: 85 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi Simmers,

Can you tell us what install combination you are using when you are seeing this? Also are your games updated with the latest patches? Are you using any mods? We are unable to reproduce the problem on our end at the moment.

Any information you can provide helps, thanks!

Edit: Yes, install combination meaning Sims 3 base game, World Adventures, Ambitions, High End Loft Stuff, and/or any Store content.
  • Options
    NarmezNarmez Posts: 34 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I'm having the same issue.

By install combination, do you mean which expansions? I have the base game, WA, and Ambitions. All patches have been applied as far as I know, and I don't have any mods or CC in my game atm.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hi, SimGuruLily - i am not ignoring your questions - i am unable to log into the forums as the site maintenance page keeps popping up when i login to reply.

The only custom content we have is from the store, and we have Sims 3 base game, WA, HEL and Ambitions installed - that's it.

If I don't reply right away - i am not ignorning you.
  • Options
    piddlesimpiddlesim Posts: 3,251 Member
    edited June 2010
    Here is a thread that I posted yesterday about this.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/208411.page

That way you can see it isn't limited to just one or 2 people.

I have the base game, World adventures, High end loft stuff, and ambitions. I DO NOT have any mods. I have store custom content ( and only a little bit of that ) and a few custom patterns.

I am completely patched up- according to my launcher.

Everytime I start up the game, data logging is turned back on. Even when I save the settings over and over.

Plus when I have the data logging turned off, my firewall is alerting me, that it is still trying to connect to the internet- even though I turned data logging OFF.
  • Options
    SimGuruAceSimGuruAce Posts: 115 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi all, just to clarify are you seeing this on PC? Which version of windows do you have?

~SGA
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited June 2010
    I saw someone mentioning this last night, but never checked on it.
    I did just now, and I can't uncheck it either.

Altho, I don't actually mind it being checked anyway.

EDIT: I have Windows Vista
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited June 2010
    sorry it double posted
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have a pc. It is also windows vista.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SimGuruAce - we have windows 7.

Piddlesim - apologies - did not see your post initially.
  • Options
    uhlissuhroseuhlissuhrose Posts: 144 Member
    edited June 2010
    Having the same problem, everytime I turn it off and go back to live mode, it turns back on.

I have no CC/mods installed, only items from the store, install order - Base Game, WA, HELS, Ambitions, also completely patched up and I have a pc running 64-bit Vista.

k0ac2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Piddlesim - apologies - did not see your post initially.

Absolutely no apology required. :)

Even with the forum maintenance error - this forum moves fast. Posts are always getting bumped down.
  • Options
    kaloesche68kaloesche68 Posts: 815 Member
    edited June 2010
    Hey everyone, I AM NOT TRYING TO RILE UP THE MASSES. LOL, that being said, I posted about this in another forum, here's some info about what another website thinks this may be:

"They are talking about this data collection thing on the website we can't talk about or put links to in this forum. The general concensious is to shut down your internet through your firewall while you play. There's speculation that this program is just logging info to better help the Sims team know our wants-by how we play.

Or, this has been mentioned as possibly being more invasive, and actually being able to weed out illegal copies of games and Store Stuff.

This is the file that is thought to be what they are gathering-it is in your Sims 3 folder in your documents-"Sims3Logs" it can be opened with notepad.

There is the option of turning this collection thing off, through your game options. But someone noted that even after they did that, the game was still trying to "phone home". And even after the option is turned off, when Simmers go back into their games, it's back on.

No matter what data is being collected, I like the shutting down the internet while I'm playing idea. If they want to know "how I play", they can just ask."

The thread that I wrote this in had been buried down in the forum, and it wasn't even titled Data Logging or anything, so I am putting part of the post that I wrote in here.
  • Options
    VeraVera Posts: 218 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi Simmers,

Can you tell us what install combination you are using when you are seeing this? Also are your games updated with the latest patches? Are you using any mods? We are unable to reproduce the problem on our end at the moment.

Any information you can provide helps, thanks!

Edit: Yes, install combination meaning Sims 3 base game, World Adventures, Ambitions, High End Loft Stuff, and/or any Store content.
    SimGuruAce wrote:
    Hi all, just to clarify are you seeing this on PC? Which version of windows do you have?

~SGA

I have installed the Sims 3 base game, World Adventures, High End Loft Stuff, and Ambitions (in that order). I also have some Store content installed. I have no mods.

I am seeing this on a PC with Windows 7.

Just to clarify what happens: At both the Main Menu screen and within a loaded game (it doesn't matter which), I click on Options. I unclick "Enable Data Logging". Even if the game is still paused and I immediately go into the Options menu again, the Enable Data Logging option is once again selected.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [/quote]The thread that I wrote this in had been buried down in the forum, and it wasn't even titled Data Logging or anything, so I am putting part of the post that I wrote in here. [/quote]

thanks for the additional info, kaloesche68!!