Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dead Toddler?

Okay, so I have a wicked little game I like to play with sims sometimes. When my active sim is male, I find humour in getting him a girlfriend (or fiancée) then getting him the lifetime reward of fertility treatment. After that, I continuously impregnate her every chance I get. When I visit her household, she (and whatever roommates she might have) are overrun with screaming babies and toddlers who they have no control over and they haven't compensated for with any suitable furniture. They never buy cribs or anything, so the whole household is often going insane from lack of sleep due to the children.

Anyway, I started using this method with my family-oriented sim, Jordan. His lifetime aspiration is to raise five children to teenagers (though I wouldn't mind if he had more). I kept them living in their mother's house and terrorising her; deciding that I'd get them to move in with me once they were all at least children (so they had they some independence and didn't need to be cared for 24/7).

They've only had four kids so far (two sets of twins; one pair of toddlers and one pair of babies). I checked the family tree today and one of the toddlers was greyed out - dead! I thought that maybe she'd been taken by social services because the madness of the household had resulted in her neglect, but I realised that all of the children would have been taken in that case, and I doubted that they'd grey her out like that if she was taken, anyway.

Is this just story progression playing its evil game of killing off randoms? If so, is there any way I can ressurect her?

(Sorry for the long post. I'm not obsessive, I just like explaining things from the start.)

Comments

• Options
    greendaygirl19greendaygirl19 Posts: 7
    edited April 2010
    hmm... I wonder if the toddler wondered off somewhere and accidentaly killed itself. If it was taken by the social services, I don't think you can get him back. I dunno... maybe you should check the cemetary. It might be a good idea. (I'm soooooo sorry you lost your toddler. I hope you can find out what happened to him!) :cry:
  • Options
    itsEliseyitsElisey Posts: 396 Member
    edited April 2010
    It's possible it died of starvation. Go into the house and make it active, find her grave or whatever, and take it to the science lab and for 5,000 you can resurrect her as a ghost.
  • Options
    CemeteryDriveCemeteryDrive Posts: 9 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Is it possible that the child died before social services were able to retrieve it? Because the household where the family (with the mother, her roommates and the children) used to live is no longer lived in. Only one of the twin boys has grown into a toddler, while the other remains a baby (this is leading me to believe that a social worker arrived on their birthday, and took the children before the second twin grew into a toddler). I can't find the family anywhere in the neighbourhood, though the adults can still visit if I call them to my house.

So now I am assuming that the madness of the household resulted in the neglect of the children; particularly one of the girl toddlers who died before social services arrived. When social services did arrive, they took the remaining three children (who are frozen at their current ages until the point when/if they're adopted - which consequently leaves one of the boy twins as a toddler and one as a baby).

The rest of the household will have to show up in the neighbourhood sometime, and then I'll visit and check whether the children are still there or not. The fiancée is pregnant again, so I'll have to be able to see her house sometime.
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited April 2010
    The dead toddler is probably just a random death caused by story progression.

I don't think you can complete the Surrounded By Family lifetime wish by moving Children into the household. The description of that lifetime wish says to raise them from Baby to Teenager.
  • Options
    NICO4NICO4 Posts: 2,260 Member
    edited April 2010
    This happens to me constantly
    They don't die they just get taken away by the social worker,you'll probably see them in the streets as townies whenthey are YA Hope I helped! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited April 2010
    this is a story progression thing. not sure if its a glitch, or if its supposed to do that, but occasionaly toddlers will die. i think its the ONLY way toddlers can die. (not counting mods)
  • Options
    firestar77_2firestar77_2 Posts: 10,144 New Member
    edited April 2010
    That happened to me. I had a sim that I wanted to get 2 girls pregnant. They had the children and they died as toddlers. So, I had to go and get them pregnant AGAIN. :?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,581 Member
    edited April 2010
    The only time I've lost children in the game like that(one baby, one toddler), has been when the parents went on a World Adventure. I left their roommates to care for the children (the first go-around) and when the parents returned, Baby Boy was gone. His sisters were still there, which led me to realize the Social Worker had not intervened.

After twin girls were born, and the oldest girl was a toddler, I wanted to send the same parents overseas again. This time I had them hire a babysitter, thinking the roommates must in some way be incompetent. The toddler daughter was missing from the household when the parents returned!

I've never recovered the missing children, nor read in the newspaper what might have become of them. No clues could be found, they were simply "Gone Without a Trace".

Needless to say, I've kept all of my parents home. Sadly, this means WA isn't really being used --- although I've really enjoyed it. I just don't like exchanging an adventure for children. :-(

(I did lose two others in my Legacy household due to a glitch, wherein the father sat down to teach the toddler to talk and both were stuck! Mom couldn't take the toddler and Dad couldn't get up from the floor. Mom tended to baby brother, but after a few days it was clear the toddler was starving so guess who shows up at the door! Funny thing was, once the children were gone, Dad was no longer stuck to the floor boards. I never found the Toddler, but the baby boy showed up in town as a teen many Sim days later. He made friends with a younger brother!)

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well that is a strange glitch. time usualy stops for the family at home when you go on WA, so children are in the same state as when you left.

WA does seem to have its share of glitchyness
  • Options
    CloverStarDropperCloverStarDropper Posts: 1,873 New Member
    edited April 2010
    wherein the father sat down to teach the toddler to talk and both were stuck! Mom couldn't take the toddler and Dad couldn't get up from the floor.
    The EXACT same thing happened to me! :?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    did you try reset sim?
  • Options
    CloverStarDropperCloverStarDropper Posts: 1,873 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Zeri wrote:
    did you try reset sim?
    I, myself, didnt try anything. I had saved only a few minutes before it happened, so I just reloaded the game.
  • Options
    CemeteryDriveCemeteryDrive Posts: 9 New Member
    edited April 2010
    I found the rest of the family, and they're all okay.
    They just moved to one of the lots of the outskirts of town (I guess they needed a lot more room with all the children). About two days after the little tyke died, it said in the newspaper that she had indeed starved to death. Cruel, cruel story progression.

Oh, and just in response to SketchElder, you can fulfill the Surrounded By Family lifetime wish this way. Regardless of the wording, it's pretty much just asking you to have five children who live to be teenagers. I've fulfilled this wish for fathers who never even met the children they conceived. I've also adopted five sims (who were in the stage of childhood; only one stage away from being teenagers) and the wish had registered as being accomplished come their birthdays.
  • Options
    SketchElderSketchElder Posts: 3,517 New Member
    edited April 2010
    Thanks, that's good to know for the next time I do that lifetime wish.
  • Options
    randommermaderandommermade Posts: 1,372 New Member
    edited April 2010
    You have to look out for those suicidal toddlers.