Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help, my map plays but cant load a game save

Hi, im really stuck with my new map, ive been working on it constantly everyday for about 3 weeks, it will load up in game and i can play the map with hardly any bugs at all, but at the end of last nite i saved it and now says it cant load the game save because of missing content!

Ive been testing it all day, ive uninstalled sims3 and addon pack 3 times, tested it with store stuff and other 3rd party stuff, ive tried it without too on a fresh game, ive even gone through my whole map, removed everything so the lvl is just roads and terrain but after ive saved it in game, it still says ive got missing content thats no longer on my computer, but its just roads and terrain!

please help, my map looks ace and i just wanna be able to get it working properly =,,,(

Comments

• Options
    Diskette66Diskette66 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I am having a similar issue. I just installed a world, played for about an hour, successfully saved twice. Without ever exiting the game, had gone to Main Menu, but my saves are grayed out saying that they were created with "expansion pack data that no longer appears on my system". Excuse me? I never even exited the game before getting this message. How can this be?
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited February 2010
    I had the same problem the error massage was "Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system."

I'm still not sure what fixed it but this is what I did I took out all custom content files and put them on my desktop, I uninstalled and reinstalled all three programs (sims,WA, & CaW), I ended up doing this three seperate times. I also unistalled my world and then saved it in CaW under a different name and reloaded. I gave up on it and then a few days later I tried it and it was fine, I was able to reopen the world with no problems. So like I said I don't know what fixed it :?:

I did find this thread in another forum after mine was fixed

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=386192

Good luck I know how frustrating it is.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    edited February 2010
    Meh, never mind. It looks like AuntLynds has answers whereas I only have questions! :lol:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    freedom0777freedom0777 Posts: 11
    edited February 2010
    ok, im gunna do another uninstall of sims3 / WA and CAW, i installed the new loft addon last nite in hope it would be a game bug but didnt work, so here goes a new fresh copy of sims 3 (im deleting the folders in my documents and program files too)

nice and fresh!
  • Options
    shipofsimsshipofsims Posts: 905 Member
    edited February 2010
    I have the same problem, but uninstalling and installing doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hi again, ive been trying to fix my map again, this is what ive done.

1)uninstalled all sims stuff (sims3, WA, Loft addon and CAW)
    2) deleted all the left over folders in my documents and program files
    3) reinstalled a fresh copy of sims3 (sims3, WA, loft addon and CAW)
    4) opened up my map from a backup folder (on another hard drive)
    5) saved my map as a different name into the default CAW folder
    6) loaded it up the map and saved game.....

still doesnt want to load, im not totaly stupid about these things, my comp is fine, but the problem is kinda pointing towards WA addon not functioning with CAW.
    some instructions and bits and peices arent working. I still want to fix this, but im stumped as to how, i hope the new release of CAW will be supported fully. If anyone else has any ideas about this problem let me know.
  • Options
    osbornfenreadyosbornfenready Posts: 42 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Did you all patch?

I had a lot of problems with my game AND Caw before I patched.... but after I patched all seemed to be fine.

Did you disk clean-up and defrag after patching?

Finally... make sure you turn off any programs that are running in the background that could cause interference with the game. My machine was crashing for a few days, everytime I got into the game.... and then I realized it was the stupid Microsoft "indexing service" running in the background that was causing a lot of the problems.... it would make the sims 3 application hang.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    hi, back again, ive been messing around with the game again today, ive still got a fresh new install of sims3 (sims3, WA, lofty and CAW) with no custom content, i cant say its an issue with how the game is being run, its smooth as it will get, but anyways.
    i had ago at making a new map on CAW, placed a road or 2, a couple of parks, and started to build a new art gallery (which looks beasty).
    loaded my new map into the game, and it starts up as normal, but still have the same issue, cant open a game save file because of missing content.....
    im still stumped as to what is wrong, maybe CAW is just made for sims3 with no addon pack stuff =/

but wouldnt it be cool, if thre was a button to press so i could go onto my hard drive and find those stupid missing what evers and fix it lol

fully patched, no antivirus...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i know im rabbiting on about this, ive been searching forums aswell, i dont think its anything to do with whats on the map, if there was missing content to start with then i dont think the map would load at all, or atleast having missing peices.
    im gunna carry on building stuff, im starting a new map and just goin to have fun on my old one.

i hope EA has some answers, i bet its something small lol
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited February 2010
    I did do a registry clean. but I don't remember when in the process I did it. I did so many things in frustration and hope of fixing it. I also started a brand new world and just plunked down a few roads and lots and installed that and it worked fine. but again I can't remember when that was in the whole process either.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just wondering, is anyone using WA while making a map? i could do a registery clean but dont trust any programs out there, i know what the registery does, and moded some of it too in the past, its not worth messing with the registery.

currently still using sims3, WA, CAW and lofty, im going to get riverview again too, ive had alook in the forums and seems some objects are with riverview map.

no antivirus, fresh copy of sims3, defraged and that, someone must find this out eventually exactly what the bug is, and im all ears.

made a nice art gallery today =)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Roughly 80% of the maps being made are on games with WA installed.

I use CCleaner which also has a registry cleaner. It allows you to make a back-up before you do anything just in case you mess it up. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ive tried cleaning my registery and still wont load, i did look up about save games being corrupt, there is a list of errors but doesnt really mention the error im having, in the morning ill look it up again and see if i can go through thier trouble shooter on how to fix a corupt game save and see what happens. soon as i found out what it is ill post again here.
  • Options
    Moonseeker23Moonseeker23 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited February 2010
    The owner of a world I'm using apparently had her world working before even when saving and coming back to it. It was when she updated to the two newest patches did she have the same problem you guys are having. So it might be a patch problem.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ok im cool with that, EA do alot of updates so im sure they get around to it eventually, im now making a new world map so i can wait for now. ill keep an eye on the forum daily though soon as i find out its a patch problem ill scream it here and let everyone know.

thx for everyones help =)
  • Options
    NukapeiNukapei Posts: 88 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I'm having the same issue; and, let me tell you, I'm sick of it. My sister (another avid Simmer) and I have had nothing but trouble with this game since we brought it back in June. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Last night, I downloaded this beautiful world created by another user. I played it for hours, saving every so often like I should. Never once did I have a problem with saving. My Sims had a baby, my gardener Sim (the mother) reached two skill challenges with gardening, my other Sim (the father) mastered the handiness skill and got all the way to level five in his brand-new career. I went to bed having a sense of accomplishment, for having done so much. This afternoon, I open it up to play it ... and this happens.

I've tried removing all my CC and running a CC-free version, opened it up, started a brand-new game, moved a Sim into a house, saved it, then exited to Main Menu ... no banana. I then tried deleting all my caches, then did the same process, with similar success. Now I'm going to try a clean install, in the hopes that that will help.

It's just so ridiculous, as I've sunk over $100 (after base game, expansion pack, and stuff pack) into a game made by a company that seems to be more concerned with profit than with producing a quality product ... or even one that works. As long as the sales keep coming in, who cares, right?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ye it is annoying, i was on holiday last week, rushed to finish off my map some so it was at least playable and done the same, spent an evening having fun playing it to find the game doesnt load up again. Most out of anything, i made my new map because i didnt like the official maps, the houses are so small and there hardly any houses at all, ive only played the game like normla for like 10hrs tops, and spent more than 200hrs building a new map......of which i started my map again and it looks sweet...just only have 4 buildings after constructing for 5 days (very nice buildings)
    im still looking forwards to the addon packs though, theyll fix this issue eventually, its not one they can afford to ignore, emagine, thousands of customers angry. ive seen it, when a big company messed up on a ''pay for'' patch and they messed it up. hope things get better with this though, not good having angry customers when the total game and addons comes up to bucket loads of money.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    freedom0777, the problem with EA is that every time they release a patch it fixes certain things and breaks things that were fixed before. I've seen this with every patch that has been released for Sims games for the past five years. It's like whoever's making the new patch doesn't have access to the last updated code or something. It's ridiculous. I also agree it's ridiculous to expect people to spend money on their products with a track record like this. This is why I won't pay any more than I absolutely have to to support my Simming habit. I'll buy expansion packs at discount and will completely bypass the stuff packs (I also bypass stuff packs because the amount of content included isn't worth the price tag).

It appears that as long as EA can continue to bring in new customers with their shinies they don't really care how many old customers they turn off.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ye i figured it fixes some and breaks others, and well, concidering this is my first proper sims3 game and im a heavy gamer, EA you better keep me happy because there are another 100 games every year i could freely pick. apart from that, im sitting patiently to see what happens. still working on my new map, got 4 big buildings so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A WORKAROUND HAS BEEN DISCOVERED!

Someone posted this method on another thread, and it seems to be working for a lot of people. I haven't tried it personally myself, I thought I'd post this before going to do so. It makes sense, though.

Move your family into the custom neighborhood and send them on vacation. Once at the exotic location, save there for the first time. You'll be able to access your files then!

Another workaround that has worked for some but not others: delete all but one of your saved games, the "greyed-out" one you're trying to get into. Then, when the game is forced to select that one (because it's the only one left), click the check mark anyway. Some people have said that it'll let them in if they do that. Just be sure to back up any other games first! :D

EDIT: I've tried both, and the "vacation method" works, but unfortunately only as long as you're away on vacation while you save. The second you return to your home neighborhood, the greying-out problem comes back. The "only saved game method" works for me, but interestingly enough only when I first load the game; if I then return back to the main menu it won't let me select that game but instead insists I start a new game.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Diskette66Diskette66 Posts: 842 New Member
    edited February 2010
    FOUND A WAY TO RECOVER YOUR OLD NON-USABLE SAVES - YAY!!! :D

Personally, I think this is easiest of all methods as you can then save your game normally and don't have to mess with removing other world files. In the end, all that will be required is overwriting ONE file before each play session.

**Before doing this, make a full copy of your old unusable saved game and put it aside somewhere. While I never had any problems using this method, it is always a smart move to back up your files.

PREFERRED method:
    1. Start a "new game" of the world which is giving you grayed out saves.
    2. Create one sim (you won't be keeping him so don't spend too much time)
    3. Use "motherlode" cheat and immediately send him on vacation (anywhere)
    4. The minute the vacation area loads. Save and then exit the game.
    5. Go into your "saves" folder (in My Documents) and open the save folder you just created. Make a copy of the file inside called Meta.data. Save it to your desktop as you will need it each time you want to play this particular world.
    6. Locate your previously unusable saved game. Open the folder and overwrite the old Meta.data file with the new one that you copied.
    7. Load the game and have fun playing!

NOTES: (Two things)
    1. When your game is loading, you are going to see the name of that dummy sim you created, don't worry about it, once the hood fully loads, it will be as if he never existed. Only your recovered saved game data will be there as normal - just like you want it to be.
    2. Each new time you save, it will still appear grayed out in your "Main Menu" - but no worries, next time you are ready to play, just overwrite that same Meta.data file and you will be good to go.

I tested this with about 20 various "grayed out" saved games and it worked each and every time flawlessly. Your old save games will still contain everything they had before - your sims do not lose relationships, skills, jobs, lifetime happiness, inventory, etc - everything will be exactly how you left it.

I also tested with adding additional skills and other changes then saving and using the Meta.data replacement on the new saves - everything was retained by the game without issue.

If you don't have a previously unusable saved game, you can start a new game, knowing that you will be able to play them by simply replacing the Meta.data file before each play session.

NOTE: You CAN simply use another world's Meta.data file and it does work. However, I feel less comfortable merging two different world's data so that's why I recommend going the vacation save route to generate a new Meta.data file specific to that particular world and using that one.

For info, It seems that the minimum number of files created during a save game are:

Neighborhood file (this records the current state of the map, including who lives there - do NOT replace this or you will lose your families!)
    Traveldb file (this seems to record your overall hood progress in the vacation areas - not necessary to replace)
    random letters file - I believe THIS is the file that maintains your actual sim data for each save - never overwrite this file.
    Meta.data file (this seems to be the general game info, exp packs, patches applied, etc)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Diskette66 wrote:
    FOUND A WAY TO RECOVER YOUR OLD NON-USABLE SAVES - YAY!!! :D

Thanks so much for the info, Diskette! The other way was rather cumbersome; your method I think will be far easier! :D