Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are essential plants for your Sims 3 gardens?

simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,412 Member
Hi all,

I'm back and exploring some of the systems and mechanics of the Sims 3 that I never explored fully. My question is about gardening. There are over 60 different crops you can plant in the game, excluding store content. I want to try gardening as many as possible, so I need some help whittling down this list.

My first question is, if I only have 1 single plant per species, which is my plan, is that enough to be "worth it"? For example, 1 perfect quality bell pepper plant. Is the yield enough to get some use? I'm not looking to do this for money-making purposes. What's your standard number of the same crop that you plant?

Full list of plants: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Gardening_(The_Sims_3)#Plants

The second and main question is about the type of plants. I'm thinking to exclude the following please correct me if I have the facts wrong or disagree with my logic:

• Money Tree - kind of gimmicky and no utility besides money
  • Omni (egg, steak etc.) - gimmicky and just for replication of produce and books
  • 10 World Adventures nectar grapes and fruits - I'll just do nectar making in WA if I buy a vacation home unless there is a reason why this is essential?
  • Plasma fruit - I have no vampires in my family so don't think there is any other reason to garden these besides filling hunger need for vampires?
  • 17 University coffee beans and herbs - The herbs are for short-lived specific moodlets and coffee beans require commercial barista to use I think?
  • Forbidden Fruit from University - I already made a plantsim and don't think I need to dedicate a spot in my garden for more fruits
  • 5 Into the Future Crystal Flowers - I've never played with ITF and don't know what these are for. I plan to explore that pack later

Include the following
  • 10 base game standard crops e.g. lettuce, bell pepper
  • Life Fruit
  • Death Flower
  • Flame Fruit
  • Carrot
  • Banana
  • 11 Supernatural crops
  • Pumpkin

A total of 27 unique crops. What do you think?
He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

I'm not sure what you mean and I don't think any are essential. If you want a garden, then plant something.

Plants have uses. The better the quality of the harvest the better the food quality will be when used.
    Making better quality WA Nectar you can use Life fruit other plants
    Pumpkins for carving.
    Carrots for horses....
    It's what you want to do. Even the University plants are for more than just moodlets. Coffee beans can be eaten and get a caffeine buzz. Eating sweet grass when they crash will clean it. Cinnamon can be used for romance moodlets. I forgot what plants are for learning and social.
    The plants for Alchemy is fun but not necessary.

Nothing is essential, it's up to you how you want to play. A lot of them you can buy if your Sim doesn't want to plant: The Store harvest stand; the Alchemy Consignment store...
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,430 Member
    The Crystal plants involve having ingredients for the production of advanced nanites which in turn help you create advanced trait chips.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 726 Member
    I love the recipes in Sims 3. I use all the herbs and fruits in the recipes.
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,124 Member
    I need the death flower, plasma fruit, and life fruit right now in my game. :)
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,412 Member
    I decided I'm just going to plant two of everything. :D I have enough space with 4 sprinklers. 4 rows of 9 per sprinkler. 144 spaces total.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464