Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Personal Nature of The Sims Games

cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
In the last month or so, we’ve had a great deal of upheaval in our little Sims Worlds, with the forum migration announcements, frustration over buggy releases and the shopping cart fiasco. But, in all of this, I’ve found a theme worth exploring. That is, how playing The Sims can affect each of us at a very personal level. Obviously, we all play it because we enjoy it and are entertained by it. But, I think the personally customizable nature of this game makes it different from others and makes our connection to it more personal, as well. We all play the same game, but none of our games are the same.

For me, it’s always been a creative tool. A way to get the stories that have always lived in my imagination out into the world, where I can interact with them. But, in the last 4 years, it’s become more than that. I worked in long term care as a therapist for years. Four years ago I was edging toward burn out and trying to work out my retirement. Then COVID hit, the facilities went into extreme lock down and patients were suddenly isolated from family, friends and each other. Meanwhile, we had to live in the larger world, constantly aware of the fact that just going to the grocery store could result in carrying a deadly disease to the most vulnerable of populations. I did retire, but continued to work emergency coverage throughout the pandemic. The stress was enormous. The Sims allowed me to escape that reality for one of my own making and was a big part of my self care during that time.

I suspect a lot of us feel this game at a personal level. We all enjoy playing it, but for some of us it may go a bit deeper than that.
I hope EA and the devs know that this uniqueness is what we love about this game. And, it’s also why we’re so intense about it, sometimes.

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I can relate. It's a creative outlet on many levels; building both to explore what can be done and to recreate in miniature places that have strong personal connections. Sometimes, TS2 is a better vehicle for this. As a writer am an incurable storyteller so the game provides a way to explore, in 'live action' various story venues and alternative routes. It also is a way to explore 'what if' scenarios, whether from past life or imagination. CAS can almost be a game in itself with its possibilities limited only by imagination and the contents of the relevant folders.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited March 21
    I, also, like writing about my Sims --- but, and this is an important aspect to me, I let the Sims tell their story. I just write up what happened, and add the motive and emotions, if you will. Whenever life gets too stressful, I end up building. I love to build and do hope my ability has grown since I began playing Sims in 2005. Most of my Sims (whom I create in CAS) live in a place built by me. I do use other players' work upon occasion from the Gallery.

I went through a very rough patch in my life that lasted close to two and one-half years is Real Time. My Dad passed away, and then about every so many weeks another close person in my Circle also passed away. Yes, some of these were older people, but still. It's hard to lose your parent. I was Daddy's Girl, so that created a HUGE hole in my life. Before all was said and done over that time period, I lost about 18 people from my life.

I was so glad to bury myself in the Sims2. However, I cried like a baby when Spock died in my game. I misunderstood that there was no pleading with Grimmie, if the Sim died of old age . . . I promptly deleted that save and began it again. The game gave me control. I could have a do-over. There was solace in that.

So, yes, this game is very personal. My current Main Character, Erik Cantrell, is a minor character in the Star Trek mini-series, I wrote. He's only in the story for a short time, being a minor character as he is. So, playing him in the Sims gave me more time with him. When we got Showtime in Sims3, Erik finally fulfilled his true aspiration. He was a struggling musician in my book. But in the game, he achieved it all. :)

I love this game!
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,642 Member
    I discovered the Sims (specifically Sims 4) a few years ago, when I was suddenly struck with a debilitating chronic illness. The simple joy of a creative, low stress but highly engaging game kept me going through the early months of that. It led me to these forums, this great community and the joy of creating and sharing my simlit stories.

The Sims has been, for me, more than just a creative outlet but also a vital part of dealing with health problems and the isolation they cause. I think that's why things like buggy releases and the whole shopping cart mess make me so upset. Still, even with those issues, this community and this game make me smile.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    The Sims carried me through a divorce and suddenly living on my own.

Although I had family close it was still a stressful time. I had gotten married as a teen and was not prepared for the single life after 25+ years.
    However I found so many ways on the original game to happily, albeit revenge driven, to work out some of those issues that I'm sure its what helped me keep going at that time. My previous employment was stressful as well so the sims that followed also became my crutch (so to speak).

However no children or pets were ever put in danger. I swear.

Now I am retired from that job and actually enjoy living alone. And for the most part can play all of the series at my leisure.
    Thanks for this thread. It actually made me feel better. 🧡
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,434 Member
    So nice to see the positive impact the game has had.
    I first started playing Ts3 and shortly after the launch of Ts4 I couldn't quite get into it. I forgot all about the game honestly. I returned years ago when I was hospitalized. I was alone and couldn't have visitors for long. I had very little contact with anyone for weeks that period. For some reason I remembered about Sims and started playing the mobile apps and browsing the forums. When I got out discharged I came back to the game. A few months after that, my father passed away and that really hit hard. Easily the worst year for me, but Sims really helped to escape reality. Years later it has become a creative outlet.
    The game really got me through that rough time, it has its flaws but I'm thankful for it.
  • Options
    @Bluegayle @BlueSeaWaves thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited March 23
    Hm. I've been simming since TS1, and although I was hooked from the very start, my adventure did expand greatly (probably too much) over the years (or should I say decades). I always loved creating and developing unique characters, including my own added DNA string on the side to find logics in my many sims' detailed personality and heritage, looks as well as mindset. Recently I also expanded their community. I recall I had elections and stuff back in TS1, but nowadays it is way more detailed and making the game more interesting to me, reflecting LR community fragments.

Story telling is still my biggest pleasure with the game. In the past I wrote RL short stories and could use the game to build the main characters and their home, some times even getting ideas for plots while gaming. This is still a useful thing as I try writing novels. I'm a person with way too much creativity needing to find its ways, and because such things are difficult to make good use of in RL, I see this game as a good thing. I also built a large website with facts from my game, which allowed me to practice my self-learned programming in projects like building their family trees and personal data pages - I'm into RL genealogy so I find the sims' generations interesting). The site is still growing as I get more ideas to challenge myself. When the day comes that I'm too old for gaming (you never know the state of your brain and fingers when you reach 120 years), I can still browse that website for tons of memories ;)

I can't list positives without mentioning the negatives, though. Periodically I spend way more time on simming than I did in the beginning. It's no surprise that some of this time could rather have been used to socialize. I know I would advise a friend simming for hours to maybe slow down a bit and play maybe a couple hours every week. But we all know 2 hours of simming gets you nowhere... If that was required, I would probably just quit playing at all. However, being an adult, finding new RL friends out there is not as easy as before, even with plenty of time available, so I try telling myself that as long as I'm investing in my old friends, I'm fine. And that if I played less, I would probably spending hours on something even less useful. Might add that for about 15 weeks every year I'm out of town and away from my game, so it's not like I'm stuck to my game 24/7.

At times it scares me that I have been simming for 23(?) years. The fall will be extreme when this journey stops. I can still play my game when there are no new packs, but technically there will probably be a day when it won't work or feel very dated. It's a troubling thought that the adventure will stop - on one hand it will be like breaking up with a great friend or losing the job that you love, on the other hand it might give me the time needed to actually find one more great fiend or the job that I'd love ;) No matter what, I hope I won't get a TV instead. To me simming is a two way activity, while watching TV for hours is normally a passive one way thing. It's very rare that creativity is triggered by watching TV. I certainly know which one of those two I prefer :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Enjoying hearing everyone's stories :)

I started playing TS2 in April 2020 or so, with my daughter (referred to here as minisprite) who was then a suddenly-isolated 12 year old, and it was a special thing for us to do together as well as important stress relief for me at that time.

We quickly moved on to TS4 and it's been a fun creative outlet even as real life has returned to normal, or something like it. These days I play on my own more often though, as she's out being a busy teen :)

I like the mix of gameplay and creativity. I enjoy storytelling, although not to the point where I would enjoy spending time setting up shots and poses in my game or dealing with custom content. I'm mostly just having fun goofing off in my game but taking screenshots and stuff to share later.

Over the last couple of weeks I haven't been playing much. I injured my hand in early February and it healed up to about 85% then stopped getting better. I'm pretty careful about hand health
    I'm a pianist and need my hands to function in order to go to work!
    I figured out that mousing around on my laptop trackpad is aggravating it so I'm trying to stay off my laptop as much as possible for the time being. Which means no gaming and just minimal web browser time. Still checking in sometimes to read what you are all up to!
  • Options
    edited April 6

I started playing TS2 in April 2020 or so, with my daughter (referred to here as minisprite) who was then a suddenly-isolated 12 year old, and it was a special thing for us to do together as well as important stress relief for me at that time.

We quickly moved on to TS4 and it's been a fun creative outlet even as real life has returned to normal, or something like it. These days I play on my own more often though, as she's out being a busy teen :)

I like the mix of gameplay and creativity. I enjoy storytelling, although not to the point where I would enjoy spending time setting up shots and poses in my game or dealing with custom content. I'm mostly just having fun goofing off in my game but taking screenshots and stuff to share later.

Over the last couple of weeks I haven't been playing much. I injured my hand in early February and it healed up to about 85% then stopped getting better. I'm pretty careful about hand health
    I figured out that mousing around on my laptop trackpad is aggravating it so I'm trying to stay off my laptop as much as possible for the time being. Which means no gaming and just minimal web browser time. Still checking in sometimes to read what you are all up to!

@mightysprite Thanks for sharing your story. I’m so sorry you’re having health issues that are being aggravated by the game. I had to drop back last year because of migraines, so I understand. I hope you heal quickly.

My approach to sim storytelling is more like yours than it is Simlit. I mostly just play through my game and take screenshots as I go. Usually there’s a short narrative that emerges, so I post that in the “What Happened…” thread, but I consider my “stories” to be snapshots in time of my game. If I want to develop one of those narratives out, I write a short story and fill in blanks with a few staged screenshots. Those go into the Tales From The Myst thread. I really don’t have the time or energy to set up poses, adjust lighting, etc. Something that arduous would actually take the fun out of the game, for me. Maybe it’s because I directed community theater for so many years. I’ve done that in real life, so I don’t want to do it with sims. But, we’re all different, and we appreciate the game on so many different levels. That’s what I find special about this game.

• Options

Sorry about your hand. May it fully heal soon. Being a published author am an incurable story teller, have been since TS 1. Mostly just let them play out with little to no planning. More like recorded goofing around and relaxing after a long stressful work day.

Laptops in general are aggravating, especially the track pad, so hear you on that one. Mine is reserved for when need to use one but am not at home with its desktop.

Wishing you well.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 8
    As lone depresso bean its just nice to have something I can sink endless hours on all by myself in my room in my pyjamas regardless of time of the day or alignment of the stars and just forget existing.

I also really like that unlike other creative stuff I do it doesn't really lead to accumulation of physical stuff

and its fun to share sims builds and stories here on forums with other people who actually might be interested in talking about The Sims

Idk where else I would even do that... Talk about Vlad in... Grocery store? Church? Uh, hiking trails? Knock on peoples doors and ask if they have time to talk about Vlad?

Who knows.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    edited April 9
    Simmingal wrote: »
    its fun to share sims builds and stories here on forums with other people who actually might be interested in talking about The Sims

Idk where else I would even do that... Talk about Vlad in... Grocery store? Church? Uh, hiking trails? Knock on peoples doors and ask if they have time to talk about Vlad?

Who knows.

@Simmingal : *knock knock* (Reading from notes) Hello, sir or madam. My name is Simmingal, and I attend the Church of the Eternal Mesmerizing in Forgotten Hollow. I was wondering if you have time to talk about our dark lord, Count Vladislaus Straud I,II, III and IV? Or perhaps you would accept this pamphlet, “The Gift of Plasma,” which explains our outreach into other communities. We also have a musical concert we would like to invite you to attend this weekend. It’s entitled “The Haunting Pipes,” and is one of our most elegant events. Um…beverages…will be served afterwards.

• Options
    whatkatieknitwhatkatieknit Posts: 11 New Member
    @Simmingal I would love it if someone would knock at my door to talk about Vlad.
  • Options
    whatkatieknitwhatkatieknit Posts: 11 New Member
    I've been playing the sims pretty intensively for the past four years during a period of especially poor mental health (I have a few chronic illnesses) after my daughter introduced me. I did not expect to become so absorbed by a life simulation game but now my sims and their stories mean a lot to me, I think about them when I'm not playing and it's become a creative outlet when I haven't had the concentration to focus on my other hobbies. I love the romance in the game, I kind of squeal on the inside when my sims get a proposal or a lovely autonomous kiss. This has made me realize how important romance is to me personally. I also love playing with occults, they're just so much fun and I love how more unexpected things happen with them, like you're focusing on one member of a vampire family, only to come back to another who has autonomously attacked some random sim outside.
    I'm not super imaginative with the stories I come up with, they're probably more like explanations for why certain things are happening, but I love that the sims has got me using that part of my brain.
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »
    its fun to share sims builds and stories here on forums with other people who actually might be interested in talking about The Sims

Who knows.

@Simmingal : *knock knock* (Reading from notes) Hello, sir or madam. My name is Simmingal, and I attend the Church of the Eternal Mesmerizing in Forgotten Hollow. I was wondering if you have time to talk about our dark lord, Count Vladislaus Straud I,II, III and IV? Or perhaps you would accept this pamphlet, “The Gift of Plasma,” which explains our outreach into other communities. We also have a musical concert we would like to invite you to attend this weekend. It’s entitled “The Haunting Pipes,” and is one of our most elegant events. Um…beverages…will be served afterwards.

Ah yes we just love our charity events
    all the profits of these events go to the communities in need ofcourse

Every little bit counts ❤️😇
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited April 13

Who knows.

I take it, "sticks" are not allowed? :mrgreen:

Need a walking stick as my back got thrown out by fighting practice.
    Always been enthralled by organ music.

Sincerely, Jim Fluffy, Werewolf, Esq. 🤣
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options

Who knows.

Sticks are okay as long as they are not shaped like cross or too pointy/sharp 😊 we would not want to have any accidents now would we
  • Options
    I've been playing the sims pretty intensively for the past four years during a period of especially poor mental health (I have a few chronic illnesses) after my daughter introduced me. I did not expect to become so absorbed by a life simulation game but now my sims and their stories mean a lot to me, I think about them when I'm not playing and it's become a creative outlet when I haven't had the concentration to focus on my other hobbies. I love the romance in the game, I kind of squeal on the inside when my sims get a proposal or a lovely autonomous kiss. This has made me realize how important romance is to me personally. I also love playing with occults, they're just so much fun and I love how more unexpected things happen with them, like you're focusing on one member of a vampire family, only to come back to another who has autonomously attacked some random sim outside.
    I'm not super imaginative with the stories I come up with, they're probably more like explanations for why certain things are happening, but I love that the sims has got me using that part of my brain.

Thanks for sharing that. Having our little sim worlds to distract us from the real one is important to a lot of us.

Who knows.

Sticks are okay as long as they are not shaped like cross or too pointy/sharp 😊 we would not want to have any accidents now would we

I’m thinking the Moonwood Mill branch of the Church of the Eternal Mesmerizing might be in trouble. 😆
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    Mostly for me it's an escape from the real world. January last year we found out that my dad had cancer and only had 3 weeks to wrap our heads around it until he passed away. My oldest sister hasn't spoken to any off us since then, six months later I had to have my 17 year old dog put to sleep. Between then and now we have also lost two of my dads dogs and recently evacuated for a bushfire. So the game helps me get out of my own head, even if it's just for a little while.
  • Options
    @blueybluesky I’m so sorry for all of the loss and trauma you’ve experienced, and am sending well wishes your way. I’m glad you’ve been able to get a break from it all with your Sims world. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Belatedly expressing gratitude for your well wishes @cyncie and @Oldeseadogge <3 My hand is doing much better, or better enough for me to go out and make it cranky again by gardening :D
  • Options
    blueybluesky, very sorry for all you've been through. That's a lot even if it had been over a longer time period, let alone one so compressed. That Simming has helped reduce the stress and carry you through is indeed a blessing. Wishing you all the best, a lighter path, and abundant peace.
  • Options
    mightysprite, You're most welcome. Hopefully, you're not overdoing it so hand can continue to heal.