Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which is Better: Nintendo Switch Lite or the OLED Model?

Hi! I'm looking into asking for the Nintendo Switch Lite or the OLED Model as a christmas present. However, I'm not sure which is better. I'm leaning towards the lite since I do plan to invest in other gaming stuff in the future.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Are you planning to play in handheld mode a lot or do you want to be able to play on the TV? The OLED can do either. The lite can only play handheld.

If you are playing handheld how important is the OLED screen it's a little bigger and nicer but it's a lot more money. For me I can play comfortably on any of the switches so I wouldn't spend so much extra my friend doesn't see as well as I do so he really wants the OLED for a little more comfort. So that's something to consider. If you have a best buy or similar electronics store near you they may have demo switches so you can try them out for a few minutes and get a feel for what you like

The lite has no motion controls because it doesn't use the detachable joycons. So this does mean some games are unplayable on it. I believe it's only a few games though. So may not be a huge deal.

Performance wise they're all the same.

Personally at this time I'd get the lite. I think the OLED is just too expensive. I have the standard right now and I think it's the best version for its cost. But the rumors of the next console being very close are getting really convincing now. If I had to replace my switch right now (which I prob should with the condition mine is in lol) I'd get the lite. It does everything I really need it to and it's a lot cheaper than the other 2 models so I can put the cost difference to savings for the next console.
  • Options
    passionfruitpassionfruit Posts: 218 Member
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    Are you planning to play in handheld mode a lot or do you want to be able to play on the TV? The OLED can do either. The lite can only play handheld.

If you are playing handheld how important is the OLED screen it's a little bigger and nicer but it's a lot more money. For me I can play comfortably on any of the switches so I wouldn't spend so much extra my friend doesn't see as well as I do so he really wants the OLED for a little more comfort. So that's something to consider. If you have a best buy or similar electronics store near you they may have demo switches so you can try them out for a few minutes and get a feel for what you like

The lite has no motion controls because it doesn't use the detachable joycons. So this does mean some games are unplayable on it. I believe it's only a few games though. So may not be a huge deal.

Performance wise they're all the same.

Personally at this time I'd get the lite. I think the OLED is just too expensive. I have the standard right now and I think it's the best version for its cost. But the rumors of the next console being very close are getting really convincing now. If I had to replace my switch right now (which I prob should with the condition mine is in lol) I'd get the lite. It does everything I really need it to and it's a lot cheaper than the other 2 models so I can put the cost difference to savings for the next console.

I think I'm leaning towards the lite due to the expenses. Plus, I may want to get a playstation/xbox to play games on my tv in the future.
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,386 Member
    The lite definitely is a good affordable option for a handheld and I love mine. I have a regular switch too, it’s nice to be able to have it on the tv for the physical movement stuff, but, I never got an oled, just the original switch and that was still not too expensive considering how much other consoles cost. I love handhelds and I love small controls so I was always super happy with the switch lite. I don’t think you would regret it if you like playing handhelds. But if you prefer playing on the tv or want to play any exercise games, you will probably want the switch that can dock. So it’s just up to your personal preference, those are the things I would take into consideration,
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    passionfruitpassionfruit Posts: 218 Member
    fujicakes1 wrote: »
    The lite definitely is a good affordable option for a handheld and I love mine. I have a regular switch too, it’s nice to be able to have it on the tv for the physical movement stuff, but, I never got an oled, just the original switch and that was still not too expensive considering how much other consoles cost. I love handhelds and I love small controls so I was always super happy with the switch lite. I don’t think you would regret it if you like playing handhelds. But if you prefer playing on the tv or want to play any exercise games, you will probably want the switch that can dock. So it’s just up to your personal preference, those are the things I would take into consideration,

Thanks for your valuable insight! I'm planning on getting the regular Nintendo switch soon!