Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When you lose a challenge

I hope I provided enough answers so that everyone finds one that’s at least close to what they do in their game.

The moment you lose a challenge, what do you do?

When you lose a challenge 27 votes

Stop and reload the latest save
7%
SERVERFRAFlikka_Flikka 2 votes
Stop and start over from the beginning
0%
Stop and play other sims/saves
7%
usualsuspectSimmingal 2 votes
Acknowledge I lost, feel bad, then continue playing
3%
EnkiSchmidt 1 vote
Acknowledge I lost, don’t care and continue playing
55%
rudolphaSimpatsyannStrangerthanBoergeAarg61friendlysimmerscchant86loubyloulousillyangel0906Dakota1377Chicklet453681Lady_BalloraKimmerUmbreon12mightyspriteTempest329 15 votes
I don’t track lose conditions in the first place
25%
haneulfreindlylolChampandGirlieMDianaSimsWildIrishBansheeSeashoreLiviaDaWaterRat 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,349 Member
    I distinctly remember writing “Technically I’ve lost the challenge, but I want to finish the story”, although I do not remember which challenge that was. I’m more absorbed in the story of my sims, but even so it’s important to me to know if I lost or won.

For example in the Oregon Challenge I enjoy playing with a full household at all times. Whenever my sims reach a waystation, I add in new ones to replace those that have died. When in the second playthrough the wagon finally reached its destination only two of my original sims were still alive. So even though the household had more sims in it, my final score was only two. Had all my original sims died, I’d still played on.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,932 Member
    Acknowledge I lost, don’t care and continue playing
    I wouldn't have finished one of my all time favorite stories, "Aliens Stole My Alien Parents," if I had given up when I lost the scenario :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1003023/aliens-stole-my-alien-parents/p1
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,676 Member
    edited December 2023
    I have never viewed this game as a win or lose game. Now, if you're talking about taking up a Challenge, such as Pinstar's Legacy Challenge for instance. I totally blew it in Sims4, the first time. I forgot about the codicil that would have allowed me to choose my own Heir, even if they didn't fit the selection, I made up front. I chose a Trait he must have. After several babies were born, trying to achieve this, I had no other choice than to move out the firstborn son. (Rules are, the heir cannot move out of the house and still be the heir.) I could have simply decided he was the heir despite lacking the required trait. My bad. At first, I was going to roll back, if you will and take up things before, I moved him out and his parents were still alive. Or to just go back to their beginning. That's when I discovered the walk-Bys don't regenerate. I was devasted. I didn't attempt that Challenge for a full calendar year in RL.

ETA: That's before I understood how to recover a save, like we have now. Or maybe it didn't exist then. This was way, way back in 2014.

If this is what you're talking about, then I would have to choose: Stop and start all over.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    @GalacticGal Yes, I was referring to codified challenges: Legacies, Orphanage, Asylum, Rags to Riches, Seven Toddlers, BACC and so on.

When I first joined the Sims internet community in 2012, challenges came with much stricter rulesets than today. In addition to win/lose conditions and general rules there were often long lists that gave or took points from you for things like fires or growing up in platinium mood. I remember being part of a discussion in, hm, 2014?, and the general consensus back then was that most players didn't care for their score. The overall experience was deemed more important and if I look at the poll results so far, that hasn't changed.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,982 Member
    edited December 2023
    Stop and play other sims/saves
    I don't really play challenges anymore since i play all things in same save and itd be messy to do 100 babies or whatever when theres already so many sims

also i often just feel meh about trying to follow more than 3 rules

but I imagine I would just start new save with new sims and different challenges

or maybe its same challenge and i have restartitis :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited December 2023
    @GalacticGal Yes, I was referring to codified challenges: Legacies, Orphanage, Asylum, Rags to Riches, Seven Toddlers, BACC and so on.

When I first joined the Sims internet community in 2012, challenges came with much stricter rulesets than today. In addition to win/lose conditions and general rules there were often long lists that gave or took points from you for things like fires or growing up in platinium mood. I remember being part of a discussion in, hm, 2014?, and the general consensus back then was that most players didn't care for their score. The overall experience was deemed more important and if I look at the poll results so far, that hasn't changed.

As someone who doesn't do challenges, I have never really understood the incentive structure here, especially when it comes to things like keeping score. Is it just for bragging rights? Is there some sort of tangible reward? (I don't even know what that would be... prizes offered by the person running the challenge?). I get the general idea of having a challenge, as a motivation to keep things fresh and look at the game in a new way. But concepts like scores and winning/losing have never made sense to me in the context of a game like TS4. I'm not judging, I just don't really get how it works.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »

As someone who doesn't do challenges, I have never really understood the incentive structure here, especially when it comes to things like keeping score. Is it just for bragging rights? Is there some sort of tangible reward? (I don't even know what that would be... prizes offered by the person running the challenge?). I get the general idea of having a challenge, as a motivation to keep things fresh and look at the game in a new way. But concepts like scores and winning/losing have never made sense to me in the context of a game like TS4. I'm not judging, I just don't really get how it works.

No reward that I know of, so pretty much only for bragging rights. Maybe also for the sense of community from following the same set of rules compared to the sandboxy regular gameplay? I'm a big fan of putting my sims against each other, so when I do that the winning faction always gets something via cheats (money, the right to choose a new building). But prizes are rarely if ever included in written challenges.