Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

i dont understand how to make my duplex home a rental for additional family ??

so i placed an duplex and move my sims in, how to get another family to rent the other side of duplex? the rent is almost 5k expensive...are there special door to use ? how please?

Comments

• Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    You have to have your lot as "Residential Rental" and choose which space is the other side of duplex. Then you move in a family from Manage Worlds. I learned this from the Early Access videos as I am still getting download errors on For Rent unfortunately. :(
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited December 2023
    I don't know what i did wrong here! Why is the rent so sky high?
    SdxeMTV.png
  • Options
    bandit5bandit5 Posts: 919 Member
    That is a ea bug that was supposed to be fixed with the patch.
  • Options
    LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    mine say 4,000+ rent per day as well. i move in a family from manage worlds, then exit. then move in the family i want to play ?? i will try it, but i moved in my family first. and it seems like they are using both sides of duplex..
  • Options
    LisameesimsLisameesims Posts: 1,125 Member
    will have to wait for the lets play videos :)

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I think you have to have a residential rental lot and a home lot. I have a home lot and bought a empty lot that I turned into a residential rental lot. I'm playing that my sim has to earn money to build a residential rental. I'm going to have her move in the bottom rental unit when she can afford to build the whole lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I think you have to have a residential rental lot and a home lot. I have a home lot and bought a empty lot that I turned into a residential rental lot. I'm playing that my sim has to earn money to build a residential rental. I'm going to have her move in the bottom rental unit when she can afford to build the whole lot.

It seems to be working this way for me but, i thought they also said we could live in these custom apartments as a tenant as well without playing landlord?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't know how to change the rental agreement.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited December 2023
    Brd709 wrote: »

It seems to be working this way for me but, i thought they also said we could live in these custom apartments as a tenant as well without playing landlord?

To rent just as a Tenant you have to convert the lot to RR and assign units before moving in. If you move in before you convert it, then because your sim owns the lot they become the Property Owner.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

You don't need to own more than one lot. In fact, you don't need to own any, else you become a Property Owner or just a plain old Home Owner and not a Tenant.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

To rent just as a Tenant you have to convert the lot to RR and assign units before moving in. If you move in before you convert it, then because your sim owns the lot they become the Property Owner.

I seem to be getting there but why are the bottom two units still showing the 4 million+ rent?
    AT0g9s6.png

• Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Because it's a bug, unfortunately. Hopefully there will be a swift patch.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    greydonn wrote: »
    Because it's a bug, unfortunately. Hopefully there will be a swift patch.

I've discovered that switching everything back to "shared" then creating that unit again fixes the rent display. It's a temporary fix but a bit of a pain when i have nine units already pre-built before this pack.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

You don't need to own more than one lot. In fact, you don't need to own any, else you become a Property Owner or just a plain old Home Owner and not a Tenant.

Thank you for letting me know.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I find this EP to be a bit more difficult for start, that's actually quite cool. I try to figure out stuff, and I slowly learn how to set up those units and decide the owner etc. There's so many possible combinations, and I constantly run into something that did not work as intended. Right now I had set the rent for 3 units, but when a sim moves in as tenant, it turns out the rent is set to §0. So, I had to cancel and return to owner... It fells like most of my time is wasted on loading different households, but hey-ho, as soon as I understand more it will work more smoothly for me, too.

It's been a while since I had to spend time on learning a new pack, and I like it. If it will work satisfying in the end, that is :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ryouma17ryouma17 Posts: 49 Member
    would love to experience these bugs myself however iam not even able to create a residential rental lot iam stuck with the 2 default ones you get in the new world
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    edited December 2023
    SdxeMTV.png

Here is the bug report! Please add your info @Brd709 @greydonn and anyone else
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FR-Impossibly-High-Rent/m-p/13288458

(Brd709 would you be willing to post this on AHQ as a workaround?)
    I've discovered that switching everything back to "shared" then creating that unit again fixes the rent display. It's a temporary fix but a bit of a pain when i have nine units already pre-built before this pack.
    Post edited by mightysprite on
  • Options
    SdxeMTV.png

Here is the bug report! Please add your info @Brd709 @greydonn and anyone else
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FR-Impossibly-High-Rent/m-p/13288458

(Brd709 would you be willing to post this on AHQ as a workaround?)

@mightysprite I've added my findings to the thread above.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    SdxeMTV.png

The amenities adds value. My rooms in the Inn I created for my other save let for 1 Simoleon a day. I add some kitchen 'toys' they wouldn't have had in the 18th century and rent went up to 2 Simoleons a day. :open_mouth: Pretty steep for that day and age. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SdxeMTV.png

The amenities adds value. My rooms in the Inn I created for my other save let for 1 Simoleon a day. I add some kitchen 'toys' they wouldn't have had in the 18th century and rent went up to 2 Simoleons a day. :open_mouth: Pretty steep for that day and age. LOL

The flat the 4 million + price is hovering over a re-creation of my grandfathers flat (His landlord in real life would have a field day if he saw this bug!) Now i can see the actual rent, my sim self's daughter Beatrix pays $155 a day to live in that same unit.

• Options
    VyollaVyolla Posts: 77 Member
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this, I read a few posts down and didn't see anything, but the more stars a place has, the rent will be more. I read that as I entered a lot, I was also trying to move others in and set up their units. But also what I saw some others did post is that the amenities would add more to the rent value then as well?
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited December 2023
    Vyolla wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this, I read a few posts down and didn't see anything, but the more stars a place has, the rent will be more. I read that as I entered a lot, I was also trying to move others in and set up their units. But also what I saw some others did post is that the amenities would add more to the rent value then as well?

I read that rent is basically based on number of floor tiles and Rating, but the equipment (probably both inside unit and in shared unit/common space, and possibly a few more things will get calculated. Landlord doing good maintenance is probably only one of numerous details that can build a good rating, lot challenges/traits might add to this as well.

What disturbs me is if adding a tenant's personal belongings will increase the rent! I wish it was as simple as having a set rent when move in, then not adjusting it on a "daily basis" but maybe only if rating goes up. Personally I would do fine without the rating system, in my save it's more a matter of adding a few more residential possibilities in hoods where there are too few lots. If system was less complicated I guess there might be fewer bugs as well, but hey-ho, we'll learn as we go, and there's normally a soon-after-release patch anyway.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    edited December 2023
    @Simmerville It does seem weird if adding personal belongings increases the rent. But on the other hand, adding personal belongings to an apartment in San Myshuno or Evergreen Harbor has always increased the rent of those, so maybe it will work the same with residential rentals?

Never mind, might be mistaken about how this works in other apartments