Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What lot category do you use for a church?

I just built a cathedral (pic on my blog soon), but I have a problem.

I made the lot a Museum, which was a huge mistake because all visitors insist on *view* items on and near the altar. In other words they walk up to where the bishop stands, and it ruins the fun. I don't mind one visiting sim going t the wrong spot, but 5-6 becomes a crowd... Another church of mine I think is categorized as a park, but in this case the outdoors is too tiny to have room for all the required stuff.

So, would be interesting to see what your church categories are, and how they work.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    I've never built a church lot, but maybe make the lot type generic and then create a club? That's what I would do as a start and then go from there picking or creating a sim to be the priest to lead the group and selecting sims at random to be the congregation. Assign some activities that feel like they are appropriate for a church group. Just tossing some ideas out there and hope that they help.🙂
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,930 Member
    I have one in Henfort. Village church Agatha Christie style. Its wedding venue. But I would go to generic or museum too if no MWS.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    Wedding Venue could be nice, but I also like community spaces. Museum is good too. I don't like generic because there are no visitors, but depends what you want to use the church for.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I suppose it depends on how you use the lot. One of my churches is actually on a lounge lot and I put the rope fence so sims can't reach the organ. The entertainer would go play there instead of the actual lounge. Sims can use this church to get married quickly, but the lot can be switched to wedding venue if needed. Another church is set up as a community space. I put a woodworking table and candle making station in the basement and planted some death flowers in the cemetery. Sims can get married here, but this lot is more about the afterlife and crafting, I put the wishing well in the yard and the sugar skulls in the church and sims can light candles and speak at a podium. And yet another church is set up as a Vegas style quick wedding chapel, sims can get married and make a toast. I also added the tunnel of love on the lot and a photo booth. This lot is a wedding venue. I have all these lots on my gallery if you want to check them out.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    My "Church of Brindleton Bay" is a Wedding Venue.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Oh my, I didn't know (or recall) we got a wedding venue category? I have MWS, and I guess this is EA's way to say church. Now I wonder what the wedding venue does fr visitors. Like someone mentioned, it's nice with random visitors. I like the idea of having the priest lead a club though. There are 2 religions in my game, not that I play them very thoroughly, but one is the state religion, and *this* is the former state religion. currently only represented with tis cathedral which is supposed to be from the medieval era. I based it on the Sims Medieval Yacobian Church. so, maybe this one is a smaller thing, wanting to challenge the current state religion (Church of Similius). It is very old fashioned with a crypt in cellar, preaching about the Watcher as a scary thing. Because the royal family needs to tend to the state religion, the regional duke supported this Yacobian church, and the old house that still holds the dukedom, took over the crypt etc. And there is of course a priest/bishop already, residing Bishop's House next door (San Sequoia). (Yupp, I'm having fun)
  • Options
    Oh my, I didn't know (or recall) we got a wedding venue category? I have MWS, and I guess this is EA's way to say church. Now I wonder what the wedding venue does fr visitors. Like someone mentioned, it's nice with random visitors. I like the idea of having the priest lead a club though. There are 2 religions in my game, not that I play them very thoroughly, but one is the state religion, and *this* is the former state religion. currently only represented with tis cathedral which is supposed to be from the medieval era. I based it on the Sims Medieval Yacobian Church. so, maybe this one is a smaller thing, wanting to challenge the current state religion (Church of Similius). It is very old fashioned with a crypt in cellar, preaching about the Watcher as a scary thing. Because the royal family needs to tend to the state religion, the regional duke supported this Yacobian church, and the old house that still holds the dukedom, took over the crypt etc. And there is of course a priest/bishop already, residing Bishop's House next door (San Sequoia). (Yupp, I'm having fun)

I have long given up trying to play stuff that's not really possible in game. Even in real life, churches are mostly empty apart from religious holidays and the occasional wedding or funeral, so I am fine with them being empty and just play the elements that are available. You could set-up a club for debate or reading or organ playing/listening if available. If you light candles on the Hanukkah menorah or Kwanzaa kinara during winterfest sims can sing together, so there are some things you can do if you want to have a sort of service separate from weddings.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I also use wedding venue now, but I do think that for your purposes, generic lot + the club system might also be a good option.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I've not tested possible solutions to my problem yet, so the cathedral is still a Museum. But, I am aware that most of the objects that visitors go to the altar to view are CC, so I tried to turn off some features there, and will report if it helps. A piece of furniture being tagged with "can be spoken to" (by erratic sims) makes no sense, and is probably a tag that belonged to the original object that the creator cloned from.

Anyways, I've posted a few pictures from my Cathedral on my blog, just in case anyone wants to see/read more :) If Museum, it should not require many packs to copy some ideas.

20230806a.jpg

20230806j.jpg

20230806r.jpg

(more on blog)
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited August 2023
    Yeah I use museum lot type for my churches and such have not really noticed much issues but I also like to control my sims via groups thing from gt when i use those venues

never use the wedding lot type cause I am too annoyed by sims endlessly running around taking pictures

one thing one could do is fence off the areas sims are not supposed to go to or raise it on platform but you'd need to teleport sims then
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    I think it depends on what you want NPCs to be doing at your church.

A church service seems to me like it would have to be done either with controlled sims or with the club system or a Seasons holiday, I wouldn't know how to get there with lot autonomy.

If your plan is more to visit the church at non-service times, like to socialize or eat or study, a Library or Park or Rec Center would give you a good mix of sims of all ages coming to socialize.

If you're pretty much only going to use the church for weddings, then you probably don't want NPCs there at all, so Generic would be better for that.

(and with that, I'm off to RL church ;) happy Sunday)
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited August 2023
    Just a thought, but rather than ropes, perhaps you could use one of the more ornate, low to medium height fences with a gate that is locked with access unlocked only for your religious leader(s) to enter the lectern area. I have seen many real life churches of various denominations that use railings in this way. (Not necessarily actually locked, but to indicate that it is an area only for certain people to enter.)

ETA: it looks like you already have a low railing, so you could just extend it across the front, and then add a small locked gate to one side of the steps.
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,972 Member
    You can’t actually hold club meetings on a generic lot! I’ve tried and it doesn’t work.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Depends on what I wanna use it for, one of my churches is a wedding venue, another a night club (for vampires), another a park....
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    My one and only church is a marked as a Wedding Venue. I've had one wedding so far with no plans to visit the lot without a wedding. I don't really know how well the lot type functions outside of a wedding event.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I have one marked as a wedding venue and one marked as a community center
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited August 2023
    My churches are community spaces. I've also like others used both generic and wedding venues before but you cannot have club gatherings there. Community spaces works though. I have a church club that gathers once a week to listen to the reverend's service (aka speech) and it works, if you don't count the fact that sims are terrible listeners and rather speak amongst themselves than listen. But then that's life I suppose.

To make sure the space isn't transformed into something else, I've built a hidden basement where I put all the community space necessary equipment so it can't be changed. I suppose you could use a library, if you only have the basegame, and put computers, desks, chess table and bookcases in a hidden basement.

By the way, I love the altar area. It's beautiful!
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    Thanks, all! My problem was now solved, but it's still cool reading all those alternative ways of arranging a church lot.

My problem of visitors flocking to the altar area was smaller than I suspected - I had used a cc candle that was programmed to get admired (probably like the hand crafted candles are meant to be). After switching to a different (and older) cc candle, I have not seen a single sim walking up o the altar.

Yes, some sort of fence would made it, but I prefer the open line from the centered path/aisle (sp?) to the altar, not the least at weddings.

I don't quite get how so many play a church only for weddings. I'm not a religious person, and I never played very religious sims either, but I have several churches with assigned priests/caretakers, and they normally have other functionality, too. Like the main cathedral of my state religion, Church of Similius, is actually categorized as a retail store (!) because the wife of the High Priest serves the shop that is always part of the CofS churches. I found that selling wedding bouquets in the church was quite practical :) There is also a herb garden which is base of some products she cooks for sale, and a meditation area. Most churches are also great arenas for (secret) paranormal clubs.

No space for retail at the San Sequoia cathedral, but I don't think the Yacobians are into that sort of business anyway :)

Btw, created clubs for both my religions, it's harder finding good members than I expected though, as Likes/Dislikes and more come into play...
  • Options
    Most churches I know just sell candles and wine, most often through a trust system, you take the candles or the wine and put the money in a box or tray there. I have a sales tables on the community space lot church, but it's a hit and miss on what it sells and I can pretend it's for charity or something. Other sims can bring their own sales table there if they want to sell something. I like your idea of selling flowers, in my country you always find flower vendors at entrance gate to cemeteries.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Glad you found a way that works for you @Simmerville :) That's amazing that you were able to track down the npc autonomy to one candle.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Most churches I know just sell candles and wine, most often through a trust system, you take the candles or the wine and put the money in a box or tray there. I have a sales tables on the community space lot church, but it's a hit and miss on what it sells and I can pretend it's for charity or something. Other sims can bring their own sales table there if they want to sell something. I like your idea of selling flowers, in my country you always find flower vendors at entrance gate to cemeteries.

I forgot that those bouquets can also make for gravestone deco. And candles would too, so I really should add candles to that cathedral store in Windenburg. Unfortunately it's a oldtown lot with no room for a graveyard, but I could add a "memorial room" where my played sims can place the newly bought candle/flowers in the memory of someone who is buried elsewhere. The good thing about retail stores is that they will work fine even if the owning sims are not played, so the High Priest's wife won't need to craft candles constantly, but can just restock. Maybe this store can be one selling point for the candle crafters to deliver their goods...

I don't have the nectar making yet, but will definitely consider selling nectars, too. In my game both Aarbyville (San Sequoia) and Windenburg are trad. nectar regions.
  • Options
    momelimberhammomelimberham Posts: 75 Member
    I have two churches and I made them both "generic". One of them is basically a park (just with tombstones and a cathedral), the other is technically a wedding venue but it's in the 1890s so I didn't want to classify it as that and be required to put in a DJ booth or whatever.
    Can one awkward man find love when nobody knows what he looks like? Check out Joe Baghead season 1