Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Camera file saving issue

This probably should be asked in the help centre but I thought it'd never be answered there, so I'm sorry for asking here. And I don't know if it is actually an issue with my laptop or an issue with the game in some way.

Okay, on my old laptop I could edit the camera file in the res folder to stop the camera drifting, especially in Build Mode. With every update on the game, I simply edited the file and it was no problem to save it. On my new laptop, this won't work, and it keeps telling me this when I try to save the camera file:

"You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file of an administrator to obtain permission."

But I am the administrator of this laptop. I've also just gone through a tutorial video to change the settings on my laptop to make sure I am the administrator. I don't understand why editing this camera file was fine on my old laptop but not this new one. (Unfortunately I can't play the game on my old laptop as it's incredibly slow and seriously overheats the poor thing.)

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about and how I can actually edit the file? The camera drifting is highly irritating me. Do I need to be the administrator of my game or something? I'm really not au fait with these things so I'm trying to learn as I go along, and if anyone is able to help then I'll need it all spelt out really simply lol. Thanks in advance.
"You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding

Comments

• Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 339 Member
    @hely0t I've never edited the camera file myself. I'm not entirely sure I know which camera file you're referring to, but have you checked if the file permissions allow you to alter it?

Step 1: Right Click on the file and select properties.

Step 2: at the top of the window that appears, there are 3 tabs. Under the security tab, click your username and see if the checkmarks are there that allow you to read and write the file. (These will be towards the bottom of the window.)

If the checkmarks are not there, you'll have to give yourself permission. As for how to do that, I'm not completely sure until I know what the checkmarks say under properties.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Are you using Notepad to edit this file? I think Windows already has this program installed by default but if not, it should be free to download it.

Right-click Notepad > Run as administrator
    File > Open...

Open the Camera file this way instead. See if that does the trick.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    MrPlumbob wrote: »
    @hely0t I've never edited the camera file myself. I'm not entirely sure I know which camera file you're referring to, but have you checked if the file permissions allow you to alter it?

Step 1: Right Click on the file and select properties.

Step 2: at the top of the window that appears, there are 3 tabs. Under the security tab, click your username and see if the checkmarks are there that allow you to read and write the file. (These will be towards the bottom of the window.)

If the checkmarks are not there, you'll have to give yourself permission. As for how to do that, I'm not completely sure until I know what the checkmarks say under properties.

Thank you! This worked! I had looked at this tab via the video on YouTube I found, and I thought I'd done everything it suggested correctly but in-fact I hadn't. None in the list under the Security tab had a tick next to it, but I figured it out with your help. Thanks again! :)
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 339 Member

hely0t wrote: »
    Thank you! This worked! I had looked at this tab via the video on YouTube I found, and I thought I'd done everything it suggested correctly but in-fact I hadn't. None in the list under the Security tab had a tick next to it, but I figured it out with your help. Thanks again! :)

You're welcome! Glad you got it fixed! :)