Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If the sims 5 is free, the sims 4 content continuing?

I believe since the sims 5 is going to be free to play, I believe their will still be the sims 4 content rolling out for like a year after the sims 5 release, or at least 6 months after the sims 5 releases. Why do I speculate this? Because if the sims 5 is free to play at the beginning, the sims 5 is probably not going to be rolling out expansions real soon after, I think the sims 4 will still be giving content until the sims 5 has a descent amount of content to sell, I also believe the sims 5 creators will release it a bit early now to see how it compares to the sims 4 and what players have to say about the difference between the two and what players really love and what they dislike about the sims 5 compared to 4. I think it would be a smart idea business wise because then while deciding what kind of paid content to make for the sims 5, their still making money with the sims 4 and comparing the two to decide what paid content they should create for the sims 5 to make it better. Just a speculation. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I think many of us are hopeful that the sims team will continue to produce content for the sims 4 after sims 5 releases. Unfortunately that is not the way it has been done previously.
    The sims 5 will likely be filled with microtransactions from day one but we will see. At some point in the future we will all have to decide if we want to move on to sims 5, keep playing 4 even if no new content comes out, or move on to a competitor.
  • Options
    Bren91Bren91 Posts: 300 Member
    Yeah you’re right it hasn’t been done before. But I think project Rene would be smart to do it that way to learn more from their consumers about how to go about the new the sims 5. I think the ways things happen with it will be different than any other, just because the sims 5 is going to be spread across all platforms even the game will be available on mobile it sounds like, so for how wide it’s going, I think to test it they will continue the sims 4 for a while, the may even release the 5th game as an early access type of thing to see what people like about it or don’t like and what needs to be worked on and what elements to keep regarding the fourth entry, and what to explore or get rid of when it comes to the new entry. I don’t think they’re going to stay with the same routine of releasing things. I think the information they have given us, is telling us to prepare for a revamp of what we know to be the sims, or at least their going to at first shoot for that and see how it pans out, I feel like they kind of want to remake “the sims” as we know it. But it’s a risky thing to do l, so I think they may keep the fourth entry running early on or for a year or so to see how it goes and to test us as players and consumers about how to market the extra content and what to do with the 5th entry updates
  • Options
    I’m expecting a release in 2025 sometime. Just a guess
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Still hoping that Rene is really just a mobile successor with PC compatibility, while TS4 continues. Too many things (i.e. Head of Monetization job listing) lead me to believe that I'm not gonna like what Rene will become. Seems like unlike the best of each game rolled into one, we're ending up with the worst of each game and scrapped ideas from what became TS4 rolled into one.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    MichelleW wrote: »
    I think many of us are hopeful that the sims team will continue to produce content for the sims 4 after sims 5 releases. Unfortunately that is not the way it has been done previously.
    The sims 5 will likely be filled with microtransactions from day one but we will see. At some point in the future we will all have to decide if we want to move on to sims 5, keep playing 4 even if no new content comes out, or move on to a competitor.

Sims 4 maybe an exceptional case - no Sims series could last for nearly 9 years after their first releasing.
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member
    Most likely Sims 4 will be dropped by EA as soon as Sims 5 gets a trailer. You will continue to be able to play it, unless they break it before then. >:) Not saying they will, but you know EA. Then there will be no more official Maxis content, and no more bug fixes. No more patches. Nothing.

It was the same way for Sims 1-3. I doubt they will change things up now.

My advice to anyone, is to wait before adding new content to the game. Wait for the first glitch reports, because if it is the last expansion, you may have to live with those glitches for the next 10+ years.

• Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    Sims 4 is basically free to play with how many times they made it free for a limited time
  • Options
    MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    Sims 4 is basically free to play with how many times they made it free for a limited time

Sims 4 base game is free to play.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 727 Member
    I think Sims 5 on PC will be entirely reliant upon what Microsoft does with Windows. I think Microsoft has plans that will shorten the life of Sims 4. Even if EA allows us to play Sims 4 offline again, I don't think Windows will work offline. I think it will be like the Shockwave Player issue. I think with every update, Windows is already doing things behind the scenes to prepare for a future that will not provide a operating system that enables the older style of Sims gameplay that we have been able to enjoy. The day the final update comes through will not be the day that the enddate was installed. I can only imagine what is already installed upon my computer as the Edge Browser is becoming more and more impossible to control.

What is coming will not be EA's fault. The more that I think about this, the more I am convinced. I expect to buy whatever is available for Sims 5, because I expect Microsoft to break Sims 3 and 4. For awhile, I looked into my options to try and set up an offline Sims 3 computer, but I will only need to miscalculate one tiny detail and my whole house of cards will crash. I am not smart enough to outsmart Microsoft. I am just going to enjoy today. I am just going to play my game for as long as I can before it gets taken away from me.

Yes, we are probably not going to like what is coming, but I think EA will be our ally more than our enemy.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    You can see, the game producers are releasing games together in PS4 and PS5.
    Therefore, I guess Sims 4 content will continue to release even if Sims 5 is free
  • Options
    lunnarilalunnarila Posts: 221 Member
    Sarah26Cat wrote: »
    Most likely Sims 4 will be dropped by EA as soon as Sims 5 gets a trailer. You will continue to be able to play it, unless they break it before then. >:) Not saying they will, but you know EA. Then there will be no more official Maxis content, and no more bug fixes. No more patches. Nothing.

It was the same way for Sims 1-3. I doubt they will change things up now.

My advice to anyone, is to wait before adding new content to the game. Wait for the first glitch reports, because if it is the last expansion, you may have to live with those glitches for the next 10+ years.

The previous parts haven't been dropped, but finished
  • Options
    lunnarilalunnarila Posts: 221 Member
    Haven't they said that they have a few years of ideas and plans for ts4 and it will continue even if ts5 releases? But who knows
  • Options
    I think it will for marketing strategy
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,188 Member
    edited July 2023
    I hope they continue as this is probably my last in the sims series. Buying sims5 will depend mostly on my health & somewhat finances. I'm probably looking at being able to play maybe another 5-10 years (hopefully more) so not sure I want to reinvest in another series.
    I'm so glad they put horses in 4 while I can still play.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    I don’t want or care for another new Sims Version game. My Sims 4 is enough & I do love that it keeps growing. Also, I still really like my Sims 3 & can’t wait until I get a new memory chip put in my CPU so I can reinstall my other PC games.😉
  • Options
    mollie1998mollie1998 Posts: 446 Member
    I think they’re making more sims 4 games and I can’t wait for more sims 4 games to be made whoohoo
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    The shots showed during Behind the Sims tells me that we've got at least another year. It seems that Rene is still pretty early in development.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 513 Member
    I fully expect there to be no more TS4 content once Project Rene is released. But I also fully expect to be able to keep playing TS4 for a long time to come after Project Rene is released - the same way I can still play TS2 and TS3. And I’m optimistic that there’ll still be some kind of team working on serious issues in TS4 once Rene arrives. In 2020 a new 64 bit version of TS3 was released for Mac users so that we could still play it on Mac. In fact, I hadn’t been able to play TS3 for years before then because of various graphics issues, but this new release has made it totally playable for me again. So I’m hoping the same will be true for TS4…
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    edited July 2023
    Project Rene seems to be very early in development and they seem to be split into different teams when making it, at least that's the impression I got from the recent sims summit because they all seemed to be working from different places and I don't think that will be enough to make a full game... but maybe they will pull it off?

Depending on what they are aiming for I think everyone at Maxis needs to shift to Rene when they have decided on everything that they need to make so they can go into full production. There were familiar simgurus working on rene in the sims summit video so I don't think it's unlikely that they will shift more and more people who have worked on the sims4 over to rene.

So they might still make content for the sims4 after rene is released, but I'm not sure that is something that Maxis would like to do because they have all shifted over? and maybe people would not want that either because the content will be made by different teams who might not make content that people want.

I think simguruAzure said that they had many ideas yet on what they wanted to make for the sims4 a couple of years back and what they said had come true, they talked about generations for example, but she was shown working on Rene in the recent sims summit as a producer. So I think it will be very much up to Maxis if they feel that they can handle making content for both games.