Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ways that Sims has made your life better

fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
edited June 2023 in Off Topic Chat
So I know that we all need a little escape now and then. Personally, while playing sims og was a problem with my ocd, it eventually evened out, and now it keeps me occupied in a healthy way during the times that everyone I know is working. I used to get really lonely, and I would message people and message people in hopes of getting replies (I am a bit outgoing), but now I have something else to think about. Actually the first time that my partner went on a work trip after I started playing the sims, he was concerned by the lack of messages lol! I feel a lot less dependent on other people for daily socialization. I mean it doesn't replace it entirely - I still need to socialize. But it does help to keep me going while, like I said, everyone is at work.

These forums also have helped to quench that need for socialization while my partner and friends are working. So I thank you for that!

How about you? In what ways has the sims been a positive in your life?
All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Still waiting to see results of Sims making my life better. At this point my time management has gotten worse.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Made me realize that, when I forget why I went into a new room, it's because my Watcher just cancelled the action.

Thank goodness! For the longest time, I thought it was insanity setting in!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Made me realize that, when I forget why I went into a new room, it's because my Watcher just cancelled the action.

Thank goodness! For the longest time, I thought it was insanity setting in!

Bwahaha!
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited June 2023
    I love to say " if only they had Sims" whenever someone has done something terrible or awful or otherwise problematic because i find that to often be true in all the different ways

for example I have tendency to hoard sims dlc but if I hoarded literally anything physical that would be much bigger issue to people around me :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Jotaerre3DJotaerre3D Posts: 954 Member
    For more than 20 years, I used to be really critic towards EA, about sims games and their lacks, but right now I think I should be grateful with them for those lacks as they made me discover some other activities that I really love, it started with shy attempts to draw a diffuse texture for an object, then went to do humble moves of some vertices and polys in a low end tool named "Milkshape 3D" looking for stuff I couldn't make with the ingame tools, unlike the "artistic" side, I never went too interested into coding for the game, then the learning and usage of tools like Simpe and S3pe was a sort of "necessary evil" for the stuff I was trying to do.

Attempt to shape a sim face, moving by hand any needed vertex with Milkshape:
    lsFwRIz.jpg
    Creating an alpha mesh for clothing items
    dUOiElM.jpg

And the results of those endeavours, four clothing pieces (I did several textures more for that clothing mesh), and the girl on the right side is the face on the 1st Ms3d's screenshot.
    K76yAdo.jpg

Right now after several years that include some long hiatus (years) of those activities, I enjoy creating characters and other 3d stuff with better tools and improved skills, also creating imagery of them, and it made my life a lot more enjoyable, this hobby even became a source of "hustle" income for me.

Using sculpting brushes in Hexagon to get some nice epicanthic folds:
    nVBrKeP.jpg

And the unavoidable result, I named her Kaede and she's my avatar for my Ea account:
    K40MPM2.jpg
    Feel free to call me J.R., all my friends call me in that way.
  • Options
    Jotaerre3D wrote: »
    she's my avatar for my Ea account

That's super cool! You are very talented!

My avatar for my ea account is Remilia Scarlet - I love her.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    fujicakes1 wrote: »

That's super cool! You are very talented!
    I'm not talented at all, but I do my best to hide that lack of talent when I'm doing my stuff.
    My avatar for my ea account is Remilia Scarlet - I love her.

The Scarlet Demon? so cool!!!
  • Options
    The Scarlet Demon? so cool!!!

Yessss I love the Touhou games!!! So colorful, beautiful, fun!
  • Options
    Yessss I love the Touhou games!!! So colorful, beautiful, fun!

I always liked games/anime/manga imagery and hence avatars, but never used them due to possible issues with rights infringement, I know most of those right owners sometimes makes a blind eye on these things, above all when it comes to "Fanart", and I did some fanart too, since I'm doing 3d I called it "3D cosplay" as I depict my own characters cosplaying as other well known chars.

Changing a bit the subject, I thought I could see/read many other simmers telling us the impact sims games had on them and I'm still waiting, hopes they get encouraged to do it in this topic.
  • Options
    I thought I could see/read many other simmers telling us the impact sims games had on them and I'm still waiting, hopes they get encouraged to do it in this topic.

Same, I thought for sure that people would have been positively affected by the game in some way, but I suppose it all depends on whether or not people want to share.
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I literally owe my life in part to the Sims so there's that I guess. I hit some really rough times early in the Sims 3 days. I'd been on a bit of break from the game and was hanging around all the wrong places that just beat me down even further. Until eventually I turned back to the game to escape the real world and my own head. The community soon followed and it was much nicer than the communities I had been hanging around with so I left those and never looked back.

I found my way to the stories and legacies community which I think was the best of all of it. I'd started to have an interest in writing a few years before but was just beat down for even trying and lost that interest. But the nice community helped me find that interest again in the Sims and beyond. The stories community was even how I found out about NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month) which I now look forward to every single year for going on 8 years. When I first came crawling back here I so did not have the confidence for that but the Sims community is pretty nice and supportive. And of course the game nurtures creativity which also helps.

Now I can't really play sims because my laptop is old and struggles I definitely notice the drop in my creativity and stuff but I'm still better off than before. it was just a lot of fun to combine hobbies of writing and simming. And either way it still provides a saner place to hang out on the internet than many alternatives 😅.
  • Options
    dreamerz13 wrote: »
    it was much nicer than the communities I had been hanging around with

Totes - I have never found a community online that keeps things so positive. Even when people have negative comments, things don't get negative. I really truly enjoy that because I hate stress and drama. I'm so thankful that you found your way out of a bad place and that you found help in the sims and in the sims community! That's so great! <3
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I worked in a long term care facility during the COVID pandemic. Because of lockdown, I was essentially alone for 8 months and highly stressed. My cats were my companions and The Sims was my escape.
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »
    I worked in a long term care facility during the COVID pandemic. Because of lockdown, I was essentially alone for 8 months and highly stressed. My cats were my companions and The Sims was my escape.

That's so rough! I only had my partner and that was difficult enough - I can't imagine being completely alone. I hope that things are better for you now!
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member

That's so rough! I only had my partner and that was difficult enough - I can't imagine being completely alone. I hope that things are better for you now!

Thank you. Things are back to normal now. I retired about 6 months into lockdowns and was able to visit my mom again, but since I was also covering emergency quarantines for others, I still had to sometimes limit outside contact for a few more months. I played a lot of Sims.
  • Options
    Thank you. Things are back to normal now. I retired about 6 months into lockdowns and was able to visit my mom again, but since I was also covering emergency quarantines for others, I still had to sometimes limit outside contact for a few more months. I played a lot of Sims.

I'm glad you had the Sims! Throughout lockdown and afterward while my ocd was super terrible about covid still, Animal Crossing was my ...what are they called? Those rings that float in water. One of those things.
  • Options
    I just want to say that all of the simmers here are so kind! I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank all of you for being you!
  • Options
    @cyncie touched a great and true point as simming and some derived activities had a stress relieving part for most of us, and to have a way to relieve the stress is a good and positive way to improve our lives, someones took a creative path, like @cyncie @dreamerz13 and others did, writing their histories, others like me took the time to create stuff, in first instance for the games and later we found our way to other creative endeavours, which are also exciting and hence helped to keep our spirits with good health.