Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University in Legacy Game Play

Does anyone have any tips for incorporating university into legacy play? I have a sim I want to put through the robotics stream at university since I haven't done that one before, but I still want to play my main family and younger siblings. Normally I just skip and cheat the degree because it takes so long to earn one, but this time I actually want to play it.

Should I keep the sim who's attending uni at home? Or move him in and rotate game play? Like play him for a week at uni and then the family? Not sure how to go about this!

Thanks for any advice! :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I would suggest keeping him at home. Yes, you'll miss out on dorm life, but he will get through classes. Just make sure that he's not doing homework when it's time to go to class.
  • Options
    itsTheSimsGuyitsTheSimsGuy Posts: 77 Member
    I just have all my sims study at home. If I do send them to campus, I usually just turn off aging and rotate to the main family on the weekends (if you enroll on a Friday, the term will end on a Friday you’ll get the weekends completely free)
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    The advantage to playing the sim in dorm housing at university is that you have a chance to focus only on that sim, what are their goals and relationships and hobbies going to be when they aren't in their same old home with their family of origin.

If you want also to play the rest of the family then you can do it rotationally as you suggest. Switching households after turning in all work for the term, but before choosing classes for the next term, is easiest.

You could also turn off aging while at university- many people do this since university does take a disproportionate amount of the lifespan anyway, and it would solve your problem of not wanting the rest of the family to continue their lives without you.

I feel like trying to play the university student living at home with the family would end up causing you to miss a lot of the main family's life anyway, since you'll be on campus so much with all the robotics stuff.
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2023
    I don’t enroll any Sim in university unless I intend to babysit the household for however long it’ll take for them to complete the program and graduate. I only do off-campus and it’s still too many buggy things that happen when you switch to another household. Sims get stuck with incomplete degrees, or on academic probation but can’t restart, graduated but still says they’re enrolled. SMH it’s a whole thing.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Oh interesting! Turning aging off just for that time is so smart. I enrolled him but he didn't get into the program I wanted him to so.. there goes that whole idea 🤣

These tips are great things to keep in mind for next time!
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I’ve come to the conclusion that unless you have multiple same household sims living in dorms (which I assume is possible) then it’s a solo game.

I guess if they don’t have too many classes you can switch back and forth from them and the rest of the household but generally you’re going to miss things for both parties.

Maybe just turn aging off the household while the sim goes to university and you give them your full focus is the best - otherwise I think you have to do it from home really.
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I either have them live at home or I turn aging off.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I’ve come to the conclusion that unless you have multiple same household sims living in dorms (which I assume is possible) then it’s a solo game.

I guess if they don’t have too many classes you can switch back and forth from them and the rest of the household but generally you’re going to miss things for both parties.

Maybe just turn aging off the household while the sim goes to university and you give them your full focus is the best - otherwise I think you have to do it from home really.

It is possible to have multiple sims living in a dorm. I have played two sims going through uni at the same time while living in a dorm. You have to enroll one sim and move him/her into a dorm and then immediately switch to the second sim to enroll.
  • Options
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    Oh interesting! Turning aging off just for that time is so smart. I enrolled him but he didn't get into the program I wanted him to so.. there goes that whole idea 🤣

These tips are great things to keep in mind for next time!

I had this problem a lot, make sure your sims have about 3-4 points in the relevant skills before you enroll, the distinguished degrees especially are skill based. Having a few skill points in logic, gardening and fitness for example will usually guarantee you a spot in the biology subject (those are the skills that course focuses on)

• Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    JustinB113 wrote: »

It is possible to have multiple sims living in a dorm. I have played two sims going through uni at the same time while living in a dorm. You have to enroll one sim and move him/her into a dorm and then immediately switch to the second sim to enroll.

Yeah pretty much this. Just make sure ALL of the sims have their acceptance letters ready to go and have only to just choose their major. That way you can just enroll them one after the other and add them all to the same dorm, AND it will keep all their classes in sync.