Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spellcasters v.s. Werewolves (Gameplay question)

Hey! So I can't get in-game to test this out myself for a while and was very curious... hence why I'm here.

I'm currently working on a story/challenge based around occults... and fun fact, it's my first time actually playing with most of them. 3500 hours invested in this game and I've never touched a vampire or werewolf until now (I did briefly play with spellcasters when they came out so I'm a bit more knowledgeable about them).

OK sorry, back on trach. My actual question is this: can spellcasters cast spells on werewolves when they're transformed/raging, specifically the one to freeze them in place? I had an idea for a scene that would require it and I just wanna confirm whether it's actually a game mechanic or not... and if not, is there a mod for it?

Another option could be to use the freeze ray from Get to Work and just "pretend", so if one or the other is possible that'd be great!

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited January 2023
    Does it have to be real gameplay? Because you could just turn off free will while Rory rages, then have Silver cast any spell on himself and arrange the screenshots to create your scene.

I distinctly remember that my caster once cast a delirioso spell on my two weres, but not if they were in full rampage mode or just high on fury. But I will test it and also the free ray and vampire powers!
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited January 2023
    Oh, that was a quick test. No occult sim (vampire, caster, freeze ray owning scientist) had an option other than "Run away" for the rampaging werewolf. My caster and vampire both have the werewolf ally trait, the vampire also Brave, but that didn't change anything. All powers and spells work normally on a merely transformed werewolf. But no such luck with a rampaging one.

On a sidenote, one of my test weres has the Speed power and started dashing across the lot, when my spellcaster delirioso'd him. Then the same spellcaster stopped him cold with chillio, it was a sight to behold B)
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Werewolves have magical immunity while they are rampaging. No spellcaster or vampire can use their powers on them. Its part of their lore. Its why they became werewolves in the first place. To survive from vampire attacks.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Werewolves high in fury look very similar to werewolves who are actively rampaging. Maybe you could use the spell on a were who is high in fury and it would be close enough?
  • Options
    MelsieYTMelsieYT Posts: 289 Member
    Does it have to be real gameplay? Because you could just turn off free will while Rory rages, then have Silver cast any spell on himself and arrange the screenshots to create your scene.

I distinctly remember that my caster once cast a delirioso spell on my two weres, but not if they were in full rampage mode or just high on fury. But I will test it and also the free ray and vampire powers!

Wait woah you mentioned my sims by name, that caught me off-guard. hi!!! I feel recognized. 🤣🤣 but yeah I would PREFER if it were gameplay or at least not too pose-y. I'm sick of downloading poses and staging scenes, and so far this series has been almost exclusively gameplay... but if it has to be done I will do it. I'll figure it out, thanks!! ❤
    kostasmpi wrote: »
    Werewolves have magical immunity while they are rampaging. No spellcaster or vampire can use their powers on them. Its part of their lore. Its why they became werewolves in the first place. To survive from vampire attacks.

OOOH OK I can add that lore to my story too then. That would change things for the story development but it's fine. I'll work it out!!
    Werewolves high in fury look very similar to werewolves who are actively rampaging. Maybe you could use the spell on a were who is high in fury and it would be close enough?

*Sigh* Yeah I did consider that too. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another option first. Thanks everyone!!

• Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,771 Member
    I just noticed this thread, and I know you said that you'd PREFER not to use poses, but since you said if it has to be done you'll do it- I have a few spellcasting / magic fight poses and some werewolf poses I made that might possibly suit such a scene, would you like me to link them?
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    edited January 2023
    Oh, that was a quick test. No occult sim (vampire, caster, freeze ray owning scientist) had an option other than "Run away" for the rampaging werewolf. My caster and vampire both have the werewolf ally trait, the vampire also Brave, but that didn't change anything. All powers and spells work normally on a merely transformed werewolf. But no such luck with a rampaging one.

On a sidenote, one of my test weres has the Speed power and started dashing across the lot, when my spellcaster delirioso'd him. Then the same spellcaster stopped him cold with chillio, it was a sight to behold B)

That's generally true, and probably supposed to be the case 100% of the time, but I've run across some strange exceptions. I haven't quite figured out what causes them, and have to test it further, but from what I can tell a rampaging werewolf can at times be interacted with "normally" if some combination of mood modifiers puts them in an emotional state other than angry/enraged. When that happens they become entirely vulnerable things like magic and freeze rays. Granted this isn't easy, considering how powerful the Rampage modifier is. In my experience so far, it's been the result of a werewolf having been Beguiled or drinking a CelebuSerum before rampaging.

There are also some autonomous behaviors which seem to overwhelm the Rampaging state. For instance, a rampaging werewolf will stop their reign of terror and immediately head to class when the bell rings at high school, and even sit down and start taking notes. The fact that the teacher and their classmates flee the room doesn't seem to stop them from wanting to attend class. They will also feel the overwhelming urge to watch the Countdown to Midnight on New Years Eve, even if they're rampaging at the time. When this sort of thing happens, their normal social interaction options become available.