Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Night on the Town event

Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
I just discovered/realised that Elder sims apparently don't care about Night on the Town, the calendar event when you can get free food and drink in any venue serving them. That seems like a weird and ageist oversight. I knew child sims don't care either but the same applies - surely any sim has should appreciate freebies, regardless of their age?

Then again, I'm sure I've seen teen and child sims not care about Harvestfest. I'm not American so Thanksgiving is a thing I see on TV or hear about from online friends, but having younger sims not care about the festive meal and so forth seems odd to me.
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I think that the child sims cannot order in restaurants so it makes sense that they don't care about Night on the Town.
  • Options
    Yeah, that makes sense, however, we have food stalls, and the kids can definitely order from those.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    What do you mean when you say elders don't care about the event?
  • Options
    It's greyed out at the top of the screen. They can still do the activity, though it appear not to be something they "want" to do.
  • Options
    This is the screen I meant. It varies by event and activity, of course. Night on the Town has already passed in my game but I made a test event so I could show something similar.

c6faf728a93b9030a08b1ecd93ff79cf4a611a64.jpg

Strangely. my vampires don't ignore the Grand Meal tradition due to their vampirism. Lamia ignores it due to her life stage, while mum Carmilla doesn't have it greyed out even though human food makes her sick. Lamia's grandpa, Vlad (not canon Vlad, this is a guy of my creation), ignores it because he has the mean trait. Lamia's toddler brother Draugr loves the same tradition because he has the clingy trait - I am not sure of the logic there!

• Options
    SteveBridgerSteveBridger Posts: 106 Member
    It would be nice if there was a way to edit traditions in the sense of who will participate in or ignore them, in regards to particular holidays.

When it comes to vampires, a funny solution would be to give them a "Pretend to Eat" option, if they're high enough with the Vampire Lore skill. I can imagine that being a useful skill for those trying to conceal their status as vampires.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    It's a shame elders are excluded from enjoying a free drink. I am surprised by this decision. In reality I have a feeling people with a small pension are more interested in free drinks than a large group of the younger people.
    It would be nice if there was a way to edit traditions in the sense of who will participate in or ignore them, in regards to particular holidays.

When it comes to vampires, a funny solution would be to give them a "Pretend to Eat" option, if they're high enough with the Vampire Lore skill. I can imagine that being a useful skill for those trying to conceal their status as vampires.

It would be nice if we could decide for ourselves.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited January 2023
    I think it’s because the theme ‘night on the town’ implies a nightclub or a party rather than just a freebie. I agree older people are more interested in free stuff 😂
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,038 Member
    In general the "ignores/loves this tradition" is weird and should be more traits related. And yes, best would be if we could set it on an individual level (although I'd love it on a family level as well, not everyone celebrates the same holidays)
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I think it’s because the theme ‘night on the town’ implies a nightclub or a party rather than just a freebie. I agree older people are more interested in free stuff 😂

The name of the holiday seems misleading, in that case.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    I feel like "night on the town" implies multiple locations over a longer period of time. That is the part that perhaps the elders I know might be less interested in.

• Options
    I feel like "night on the town" implies multiple locations over a longer period of time. That is the part that perhaps the elders I know might be less interested in.

That's how it sounds, but it's not what actually happens. There's no benefit to doing a "pub crawl."
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    There's nothing stopping you from letting your elders enjoy it whether you interpret it as a pub crawl or not. The devs have tried to set up some different approaches to the events and I agree they're a hit and miss. But you can still play however you want. I'm not sure if it will affect the satisfaction points you gain, I've never paid attention to that.
  • Options
    I made my elder sim participate in the event anyway, it just bothered me a little bit.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited January 2023
    Perhaps an Elder with the Frugal trait would mind more?

btw: I always thought that event was to take a night out, like visiting a night club, acting, drinking and behaving a bit irresponsible, so I never would send my elders out. A free meal would not be as tempting because I could just cheat their hunger bar for free, lol. Love restaurants though, often send my sims there even if they are not very hungry.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    I always found the same with the teens not wanting the Christmas meal.

It might have been a better idea to just remove younger sims from things like the lottery and night on the town, and make older sims available for everything but have their traits decide instead.