Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Scent, Smell or Aroma Do You Think Your Sims Houses Smell Like?

When you walk in to a room or house in real life the aroma of the house is the thing you might notice. If you walked in to your sims houses for the first time, what do you think they would smell like?

Here is my sim self's house. He's lived there for eleven sim years
3Lbg8zv.png

Nine children have passed through here and two step children from his second marriage.
Here is what i think i would smell if i entered my sim self's house:

- Laundry
- Fried Food
- School Supplies
- The scent of his second wife's perfume.
- Hard wood from the floorboards.

Comments

• Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    My main family has lived in their house for ten years now. The floor/entry room is sparsely furnished with a couch, fish tank, dart board and cat tree. Seven doors lead deeper into the house.

- My sims are so accustomed to the smell of their cats, that they do not notice it anymore, but visitors will definitely pick it up.
    - There's always the scent of coffee in the air, a good brand, too. Sometimes it's a cocoa speciality instead.
    - Printer ink, paint, glue and whatever else is needed for the children's current school project.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    edited December 2022
    Ideally, something befitting a 8 generation household, like cowplant scented air freshener, old paintings from back in gen 3, or just money. But realistically it smells like stinky dishes because they won't clean up after themselves. :D

edit: And fire! Naturally!
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,849 Member
    In my main story save:

Danielle and Londyn Huntley- I think lavender, vanilla, and ocean breezes. They live on the little island lot on the southern end of Tartosa just a few feet from the ocean.

Liberty and Matteo Rossi- The same ocean breezes the Huntley's enjoy find their way to the Rossi's home, Villa Vigna. Matteo is a fabulous chef and a Tartosa native so in addition to the ocean, I think their home smells like jasmine which is Liberty's favorite, and all the rich, decadent aromas of Matteo cooking. Fresh baked bread, garlic, tomatoes, basil, olive oil. and so much more.

Summer Holiday and Darian LaRue- They live further inland so the scents of the ocean aren't as strong. Summer is also a master chef, but she hails from Willow Creek. Their home may smell of penne carbonara one day and gumbo the next. There is a hint of pine from Darian and honeysuckle that Summer remembers from Willow Creek.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited December 2022
    Mine is basically a ski hostel. It’s very spacious and clean. The main area is a reception with a big kitchen and a dining area. The rooms have luxury baths and they use a lot of the wellness stuff. Lots of plants and flowers on tables. Big fluffy carpets everywhere.

You might smell the sims, plants, food, the fireplace, and at the back there is a hamster and cat that are cleaned and looked after. But because it’s so big and cleaned all the time I’d think it would just have an airy hotel kinda smell.
  • Options
    JayeMover_16JayeMover_16 Posts: 17 New Member
    I don't really have a main save file, but it's usually one of three things: Flowers, freshly-cooked food, or whatever their pet smells like.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    My sims' house?
    An unearthly, ghostly sort of wet dog smell. It could be from the ghost dog, or from the funky salt-marsh air getting into everything, or from the werewolves the oldest girl hangs out with. It's hard to be sure.
    The vague miasma of multiple teens in the house, one of whom is a slob.
    Whatever got onto Dad's fishing clothes that day... and got left on the floor while he jots down his latest book idea.
    Last but not least, the unmistakable stench of Mom's sneakers. She's a professional athlete. No mystery about that one.

Um, come over anytime :D

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited December 2022
    I'm not fan of scented things irl as those tend to make me feel sick
    so tbh mostly I would just aspire to smell nothing as I walk in most of my sims houses :lol:

maybe something connected to current weather/ plants nearby

maybe something my sims have been cooking/baking

possibly smell of... death or plasma?
    smoke/ fire? shall there be fireplace or torched things
    muddy paws anyone?

scent for thought.
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

My goodness folks I can smell his thread from miles off.
    Go easy on them “perfumes” please, thanks. 💙
    My game smells like forest and fairy farts.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Dianthus Hall would smell of honey, peonies and raspberries.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I'm not fan of scented things irl as those tend to make me feel sick so tbh mostly I would just aspire to smell nothing as I walk in most of my sims houses :lol:

muddy paws anyone?

scent for thought.

I'm with you on that, am also sensitive to fragrance and will start itching if I can't get away from a home filled with scented products, no matter if it's natural or synthetic it's all a problem. I can't be around scented laundry detergent either, or use it.

I do appreciate temporary scents of things I do at home, like making coffee, peeling a mandarin, and I love the subtle spiced scent of my Badger shave soap, but it started making me itchy so I will have to see if I can still use it.

If I want my home to smell super welcoming to someone coming over I would bake a batch of bread, cinnamon rolls, or cookies, and put on tea or coffee when they arrive.

I admit to liking to smell the scented wax packs at the store but it is just a matter of time til that makes me itchy too.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Never thought of what my sims' houses would smell like, but depending on who's house you visit and the time of year, I think they would most probably smell like coffee or tea, freshly baked cookies or some homemade dish, fresh laundry and likely pet smells. And some houses have fireplaces, so some warm toasty fire smell too. And some that live in wood cabins would probably smell of wood. I have a couple that lives in a dusty old house, I imagine it probably smells like dust and old perfume and cigarette smoke and a sim who lives in one of those TLC apartments with bad drains and bad airflow, so imagine it must smell like drain pipes and probably neighbours' cooking.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited December 2022
    I'm not fan of scented things irl as those tend to make me feel sick so tbh mostly I would just aspire to smell nothing as I walk in most of my sims houses :lol:

muddy paws anyone?

scent for thought.

I'm with you on that, am also sensitive to fragrance and will start itching if I can't get away from a home filled with scented products, no matter if it's natural or synthetic it's all a problem. I can't be around scented laundry detergent either, or use it.

I do appreciate temporary scents of things I do at home, like making coffee, peeling a mandarin, and I love the subtle spiced scent of my Badger shave soap, but it started making me itchy so I will have to see if I can still use it.

If I want my home to smell super welcoming to someone coming over I would bake a batch of bread, cinnamon rolls, or cookies, and put on tea or coffee when they arrive.

I admit to liking to smell the scented wax packs at the store but it is just a matter of time til that makes me itchy too.

Bread and cinnamon rolls for win :blush:
    it also comes with perk of eating the said bread and cinnamon rolls ;)

So very disappointing it is though when there is the scent but not the food :( whyyyy

also tea is sometimes disappointing when it smells so good but it doesn't taste the same :(
    but it is nice when it also tastes as good as it smells
    meanwhile I suddenly remember that one tea that smells like cat litter and therefore cannot be consumed
    yeah, not that one, I would prefer to not taste that one, or the one that smells like rodent cage
    just christmas tea traumas
    as for orange fruits scents I have to disagree though
    only because my cat hates orange fruit of any kind
    and will not cuddle me if I smell of them :sweat_smile:
    and the scent stays on you for such a long time after eating the fruit :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    In real life, my sister lives with me and she is a cook. I say that with a capital "C." She is very good so our house always smells like bacon frying, coffee brewing, cookies, and rich aromas. My room smells like incense, Rose, Lotus, Opium which is a very nice smell.

My sims' houses, I would imagine would smell like mine if they were a cook, like fresh linen and the good part of barnyard animal smells, canning, candle making, all the really fun stuff if you lived on a farm. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,124 Member
    For most of my sims, some of the words that come to mind; dirt, mold and rotting food, along with a general air of indifference.
  • Options
    LarrikatevenLarrikateven Posts: 99 Member
    For my occult save, they would definitely have that "old wood" smell from the house itself. Since it's a very sparsely-furnished, somewhat haphazardly decorated place, I would expect a slightly chemical smell of them trying to keep the place clean. And maybe like, men's grooming products, since one of the inhabitants is a (struggling) actor and takes pride in his appearance.

For my legacy save, it would be a mess of different things. I just recently built them a new Victorian-style house, so they would get that "new wood" smell. Also burning wood smells from the fireplaces and the wood-burning stove. They have a very well-decorated house with a lot of fabrics with the curtains and beds and other textiles, so I think they might be building up a bit of dustiness. Oh! And they have two cats as well, so cat-related odors. Lastly, the father in the family keeps sneaking off to the pool when I'm not watching him, so the smell of wet mermaid, which I assume would smell like fish.

For my celebrity save, they have three children at the moment, so the smells of dirt and grass and art supplies, especially in the back hallway and their bedrooms. The father of the family is a very famous musician who tends to have paparazzi hanging around as well, so of all my saves, I think he would be most likely to consciously think about how his guests would perceive the environment, but there's not really enough stuff in the house to balance out the child smells, so it would be something more artificial like an air freshener with one of those that are marketed towards guys with scents like "black lightning" or "cool rush".
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    This thread had me perusing scented candles aimed at men, recently. After carefully smellong the to see any initial reactions, I bought one called "whisky tabacc" which really does have the scent of good whisky and whereas I hate the smell of smoking, the edge of sweet haze in it was not strong, so I bought it. I also bought a smaller one that said it smelt of leather, which astonishingly, it did!

I won't burn them til it's warm enough to open windows, because breathing VOCs is not my plan, but uncovering them for a few minutes is nice.
    You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I would say burnt food, because at least one Sim in each family keeps burning the food, despite me trying to get their food level up.
    Musty for some, because some houses have at least 6 teens, and only a couple showers/baths.
    Probably smells from dirty dishes, kids, and pets as well.
    I don't think it would smell nice, because I have large families in each house, so even with flowers and scents, it wouldn't smell good.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I'm not fan of scented things irl as those tend to make me feel sick
    so tbh mostly I would just aspire to smell nothing as I walk in most of my sims houses :lol:

muddy paws anyone?

scent for thought.

Unscented for me too, I am allergic to a ton of things.

My sim homes would smell like whatever they cooked that day, plus any pet smells if they have pets or are Werewolves B) . And all the plants both inside and out are silk or plastic. :D
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Morgyn’s house smells like various mystic incenses: Sandalwood, Patchouli, or palo santo.

The Blue Moon smells like old wood, books and whatever the specials are that day.

Guidrys house smells like gumbo and oil paint from his latest art project

Greg’s house smells like wet dog.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Well, Erik Cantrell is all but addicted to using his cologne, so I imagine that would prevail in the rooms he breezes through. Kayleigh is a very good cook, bordering on being a chef, with her mad cooking skills. I would guess the aroma of chocolate chip cookies, bread, and taco casseroles, roasts, turkey, et alia, would permeate from her kitchen. Of course, somebody does get around to doing the laundry. Personally, I love the smell of fresh laundry. Things must smell good in that household. Erik is always smelling the air and seems happy about it. (I have Bust the Dust.) Oh, and since Uncle Aaron ordered up pepperoni pizza for the kids when their parents went out, that would also linger, for a bit.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    WhatCobblersWhatCobblers Posts: 2,758 Member
    Ikkanu's shipwreck: Slight scent of sea breeze from the outside Sulani air. There would also be a slightly burnt smell indoors as he lights a lot of candles for various ceremonies and to ward off bad spirits. The strongest smelling room would be his bathroom because he likes his luxury bath products.
    I think his home would mostly smell of wood and florals.

Samphy and Kio's lighthouse: There would be an almost constant aroma of freshly baked pastries, biscuits and cakes, occasionally interrupted by the stench of a botched magical potion.

Jiya's house: Old books, the fireplace and a lingering doggy smell. (She doesn't have any dogs, she's a werewolf). As she's still getting used to her powers, there is occasionally the smell of something else, but she's usually quick to clean it up.

The Strange-Quest household:
    Norrell and Leoni's rooms would smell strongly of whatever perfumes/colognes they were wearing that day
    Tadeo's room would smell faintly of books and paint.
    Rhydia's room would smell probably of laundry and sweaty gym clothes as she likes to work out a lot.
    The rest of the house would be relatively neutral, unless Norrell and Leoni have been practising pranks; in which case at least one room would reek of either something rotten, trash, poop or the most noxious farts imaginable (Norrell is especially skillful at not only clearing a room in this manner but also in doing so without anyone being able to trace the smell back to him).