Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Magic Realm pack if not into magic?

I'm in need of more lots, and I was wondering whether I should get Magic Realm. I like the vibe of the world (have not seen much though), but I'm not intending playing any of the magic stuff. I already do some vampires which is enough in my quite realistic game.

So, my question is - does the MR pack content enough new stuff if not into the magic/witch thing?

Does anyone play the world more realistically, or is there world elements making it too magical for that?
Is there enough Cas/BB items that are not strictly for magical use?

Are there any new features that can (also) be used with realistic play?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    The world itself is one of my favourites, but then again I like magic. It is pretty realistic except for the magical portal near the waterfall. If you don't mind Sims (mainly spellcasters) occasionally walking by and disappearing into the portal, then you can use the world for realistic games. The portal is at the edge of the map, not really near a lot.

Gameplay is almost exclusively magic. The only thing I can think of for realism is using the cauldron to cook 12 portion of food at once. You don't need to be a spellcaster to cook food in the cauldron and it's perfect for off the grid or historical situations. In the game there are only 3 dishes available with maxed cooking skill but Bienchen has a mod that adds more recipes. The only other magical object that might be useful is a broom as decoration.

Good thing for you (and sad for me) is that spellcasters are nearly noticeable unless you play one actively or visit the magic realm. Spellcasters in other households don't do autonomous magic except occasionally arriving on a broom.

As for the build/buy it is art nouveau. Art nouveau existed in real life so up to you if it fits your visual style. Most of the furniture is normal furniture, to be used by any sim.
    I don't know if the clothing suits your style, maybe you can take a look at them in a video or article.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited November 2022
    I think the world is probably nice. I bought the pack when it first released, but I haven't used it at all. Maybe I've touched just two BB objects from the pack :# because it turns out that I'm not that into magic, but maybe one day...
  • Options
    EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    I've found the world itself to be quite beautiful, but the builds and BB items to be ugly and unusable in regular gameplay. Much of the CAS works, but some items won't translate into the real world well. Spellcasters don't bother your gameplay much, but unless you really love magic, they are very bland and indistinguishable from any plain sim, except that when you try to make one in CAS it keeps doing that very annoying spellcaster animation over and over again.
    I keep it disabled in my game. Wish I could return the pack. Worst one I ever bought.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    edited November 2022
    Thanks for input! Some times I really wish we could buy the worlds without the rest of the pack. I don't own Glimmerbrook, Batuu, Snowy Escape world, Copperdale and Moonwood Hills. Being able to add those worlds (empty lots would be fine) without adding tons of features and CAS/BB never to be used, would be a dream come through :)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2022
    Gameplay is just magic as far as I know, mixing realistic and RoM furniture doesn't look too off, especially if you have sims that are interested in gardening or writing.

You can probably make some realistic sims with CAS, clothes are a good mix of dark clothes, historical clothes and some fantasy themed clothes.

The world is an odd one, it's small, it has a lot of roads with large parking areas (when they released the world I thought that we were going to get a car update) and the bar in the world is programmed so only spellcasters will visit it.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    The world is very nice and the magic portal is far enough that it doesn't interfere visually with regular gameplay. I've had the pack since release and only in the past year or so I've started seeing sims falling off their brooms in the neighbourhoods and realized they must be magical sim, otherwise I didn't see them. And one of my sims has only very recently met Morgyn and befriended him. The magic realm itself is good as a theme park and underworld sort of place and the build and buy stuff is good if you want to play scientist or herbalists sort of sims. The stuff that's strictly for magical use it's mostly hidden in debug, brooms, wands, potions, you need to do magic gameplay to find it or buy it from the magic vendors.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    the bar in the world is programmed so only spellcasters will visit it.

Oh, will it be stuck like that? Can the lot not be recategorized?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited November 2022
    I play lots of occulty things so I'm afraid i do not know how it fits in realistic play :sweat_smile:

but one thing about that world I will say is that is drives me insane as builder (the weird lot placement etc) so builder to builder I might not recommend :lol:

you can change all lot types and lots sure but the magic portal and its sounds might also annoy you if you are trying to not be magical there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2022
    the bar in the world is programmed so only spellcasters will visit it.

Oh, will it be stuck like that? Can the lot not be recategorized?

I booted up the game and did some testing since I got curious myself, it seems that if you replace the bar with another lot type (like a night club) then other sims will visit, but if it's a bar lot then it will be mostly spellcasters that will visit the bar.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    edited November 2022
    The pack is pretty much geared for a magical vibe all around. The build style is Art Nouveau, which was a popular style in the early 1900’s that I’ve always found interesting. If you’re not into that niche style, individual pieces can be used for accents. Clothing has a very distinctive style as well that’s modern but with a fantasy twist.

Gameplay is pretty Magic oriented, but the Spellcasters aren’t intrusive. They don’t autonomously cast spells. You may see them come and go on a broom occasionally, but that’s it.

Glimmerbrook and the Magic Realm are some of the most beautiful scenery in the game, in my opinion.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Glimmerbrook is a very beautiful small forest world. The non-magical objects are so pretty, especially the doors, windows, pictures, beds, couches & chairs. Also, the clothing is very, very nice.
    I recommend Realm of Magic with Cottage Living & Windenburg for Historical gameplay. :p
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited November 2022
    I’m playing in Glimmerbrook for quite some time now.

World is lovely, small but there’s no neighbourhoods and it’s all one map. It’s a forest with roads and a river running through it. There’s some nice views and a nice background. No real secrets. The lots are quite small - 4 30x20 and one 40x30 which is where the Charms live.

There’s several fishing spots, and lemon trees, sage and mushrooms. There are dig spots and frog logs. Glimmerbrook is fully affected by all seasons. There’s two plants exclusively to realm of magic that you can grow - mandrake and valerian root and these are logged in the collection and you can research them.

You will see the magic portal if you send your sim jogging or if you look for it, but otherwise it’s at the top of a river and it’s not really intrusive. I’m yet to see anyone casting magic.

The NPCs are mostly good quality. Morgyn, L Faba and the Charm family etc are all frequently walking by my house and join fishing. The bar is really nice. You can customise it but it’s a great little local pub and your sims can just walk home from it. I’ve seen non spellcasters from the gallery there. But it does feel ‘local’ and you will see the sages there.

I don’t personally use much CAS/Build buy. It’s all of a good standard - the less packs you have the more likely are to use it. You’ll find some bits you like for sure but you may have better options for a lot of it. Haven’t been in realm itself so won’t comment.

If you intend to actually play in the world I’d say yes. Otherwise it might be a bit of a waste - not much you can do in glimmerbrook you can’t do elsewhere and the lots aren’t the biggest. Gameplay appears to be magic based. I love the world personally though - really nice backdrop with real feel of community.
    Post edited by JustinB113 on
  • Options
    TzivaTziva Posts: 19 Member
    You mostly asked about gameplay stuff, but I do want to add that if you're mainly interested in more lots, Glimmerbrook only has five lots, so it's a pretty small world.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited November 2022
    If you like a Victorian and Art Nouveau style then yes this pack has what you want. I use the BB/CAS items often. As far as lots there's only five of them. Then the lot in the magic realm.

I personally love the magic and my sims being spellcasters but I dont know of any realism gameplay with this pack. You can brew potions and i dont think you have to be a spellcaster to do that. However, since you're not interested in that part but you have all world packs except this one then I'd recommend getting it while it's on sale. Otherwise if that's not your style and you dont have all the world packs I'd go for a different pack.

Edited... I just went through comments and saw your reply on the worlds. I don't own HSY yet as I'm waiting for a better sale but it would have the most realism as far as worlds go. Otherwise I'd recommend Moonwood Hills. The only thing about it is there are a lot of werewolves walking around so might interfere with your realistic gameplay. But the world and items in it won't. I'm actually not a fan of the Glimmerbrook world. It is the least world I go to other than to get my sims to the portal to become spellcasters. But all the world's in this game are spectacular and beautiful.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    Thanks for all good input!

Yes, Copperdale seems like a bigger world, but I don't want the gameplay there either, as I already have my own high school system. For Moonwood Hill I would not mind werewolves, as I don't really mind magicians either, but it just gets too much having all vampires, magicians and werevolves in a game that mainly is realistic. I already got vampires and I love that pack.

Seeing there are only 5 small lots in Gimmerbrook I might hold back a while to see if there will be announced a new pack with a world soon. If I like that pack's content, it might be a better option for me right now.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Gameplay is just magic as far as I know, mixing realistic and RoM furniture doesn't look too off, especially if you have sims that are interested in gardening or writing.

You can probably make some realistic sims with CAS, clothes are a good mix of dark clothes, historical clothes and some fantasy themed clothes.

The world is an odd one, it's small, it has a lot of roads with large parking areas (when they released the world I thought that we were going to get a car update) and the bar in the world is programmed so only spellcasters will visit it.

Agree with most of this but have seen sims that I know are not spellcasters walk into the place. My played installation does not go beyond DU, so maybe whatever causes the limitation doesn't exist in my games.

As for the pack itself, I use the CAS and BB a lot, even for non spellcaster households, same goes for the world. It has a nice out in the woods kind of feel. Sort of like Granite Falls but you can live there.