Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Texture Memory/Nvidia Profile Inspector Settings

dest01dest01 Posts: 283 Member
How much texture memory should I set in my graphics rules?
Also, what should my Inspector settings be set to?
I currently have Antialiasing Fix, Vertical Sync, and Triple buffering turned on. Is there anything I'm missing?
Attached is my dxdiag for reference
Im also curious to what my cpu levels should be set to
Post edited by dest01 on

Comments

• Options
    dest01dest01 Posts: 283 Member
  • Options
    RuediiRuedii Posts: 168 Member
    Sorry for the late reply.

I'm just browsing again after a while and came across this.

Sims 3 cannot address more than about 4GB of video memory, and 4GB of system side memory.

Since it doesn't hard-cap it, setting it to 2GB is plenty as that is the most it looks for when configuring.

For the CPU, it's the highest level (uber) for any modern CPU unless you have a 2 Core laptop CPU. When adjusting settings, generally just turning down active lots is more than enough to save CPU time. However, on particularly weak computers you will need to have the settings limit the number of sims that can be active in the world.

You will want to run the game in XP SP3 or Windows Server 2013 Compatibility mode. This provides the best compatibility.

As of runtimes make sure you install .Net Framework 3.5 This basically is just the libraries for legacy programs like the launcher (seriously, EA, update that launcher to run the game's internal Mono subsystem that ships with the game.) You may also need to install Microsoft Visual C++ runtime, but this is far more likely to be already installed.

I really wish EA would remaster Sims 3 with a 64bit binary and a new launcher. This would save us having to worry about this compatibility stuff, and would also let it run out of box on Steam Deck which currently requires all sorts of hacks to run it.
  • Options
    octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    I am not great with computers but I did edit my graphicsrules file based on a tutorial I read about making Sims 3 recognize new graphic cards. I took a look at my graphicsrules file in my sims 3 game file and I had set it texture memory to 1024. If you have a decent or good graphics card you can probably do this too. But you could google a tutorial on making sims 3 recognize the graphics card and it may mention what to set texture memory to. Please save a copy of your graphicsrules file somewhere before editing it. If my info is wrong, I am sorry. Here is the excerpt from my edited graphicsrules file:

endif
    setb textureMemorySizeOK true
    if ($textureMemory == 0)
    seti textureMemory 1024
    # setb textureMemorySizeOK false
    endif
  • Options
    octotigeroctotiger Posts: 64 Member
    And I forgot to mention that the # has to be typed in front of setb textureMemorySizeOK false or the game will keep trying to set texture memory to 32. Adding the # makes the line:
    # setb textureMemorySizeOK false
  • Options
    SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited November 2022
    In addition, here is a tutorial that describes what you wrote about textureMemory (see #1 quickly accessible via the description and the first and pinned comment by acottonsock):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-uBFKOen-4

EDIT:
    #2 in the video is about matching your CPU to your game and #3 about limiting TS3's framerate.