Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing the Sims 3 with all the DLC in 2022?

Sul sul, I've been getting into the Sims for the past few months now, and I've tried out the Sims 2 and the Sims 4. Sims 2 was probably better overall, but the Sims 4 had a few extra features which were missed in the Sims 2 (I mean Sims 2 is 18 years old so makes sense). After a bit of research, I've decided that the Sims 3 looks like it would probably be the most interesting Sims game, and I've decided I want to try it out. However, I had a few questions about obtaining the game and all the DLCs.
Firstly, due to the fact that there are a few Origin exclusive items, apparent easier mod loading, the fact that Origin is on a newer version of the game, and another reason I'll get into a bit later, it seems like it would be best to use Origin to run the game, however, the game hardly goes on sale on Origin, and it would be much cheaper to buy the base game and the DLCs on Steam. I heard that it was possible to buy the games on Steam, and then Steam would give you Origin codes that allow you to play the game on Origin instead, presumably getting the best of both worlds. Does anyone know if this is still possible? And if so, are there any risks/disadvantages to doing it this way?
Secondly, is the reason I alluded to earlier, the Katy Perry Sweet Treats DLC. I'm a completionist and prefer to have every DLC for the game if possible. I understand that it's no longer possible to get the DLC on Steam, but apparently it's possible to get the DLC on an Origin copy of the game if you have a physical copy of the game with an unused Origin code. But I was wondering, are these codes region locked in anyway? Or will they work no matter where they are from?
Lastly, performance. I've heard that the Sims 3 has perhaps the worst performance of all of the Sims games, but, I heard that there were some mods that helped improve that. So I was wondering, are there any mods that I might want to look into to improve the performance of the game or fix any notable bugs?
Thanks for reading, and any help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    texanskytexansky Posts: 1,347 Member
    Over 5 years ago, I had the game installed on Origin and took advantage of the supplied codes from Steam to buy some expansions and stuff packs that were greatly reduced. I don't remember which ones though. I did have to buy a copy of the game from Steam in order to buy the others to take advantage of the sale. I don't know if that still works now.

The mods from NRAAS are absolutely essential in improving the performance of your game. Specifically, ErrorTrap and Overwatch take care of bugs and stuck sims and animals, as well as clean up the game of excess vehicles, turning off stereos, etc. Master Controller allows you to customize your game in many different ways, which can also improve the graphics. And Story Progression replaces the glitchy EA story progression. I've played my game for years with just these four and have slowly added almost all of the others over time. They have helped me in so many ways when I wanted to find out about a specific Sim. I can look to see if they are pregnant and who the father is. I can view their family tree to see how they are related (a must-have for playing Legacy generational games). I could go on, but I will spare you the details.

I just discovered the youtube creator "acottonsock". I just watched her video called ULTIMATE SIMS 3 FIX GUIDE 💫 (2022). She is very good at explaining things to the point that I think anyone with limited knowledge of computers could actually follow her instructions (with some pausing and backtracking if needed.

She has an entire series on the NRAAS mods. There are eight in all if you search for "acottonsock nraas". I haven't watched them yet, but I intend to in the near future.

Regarding KP Sweet Treats, I would love to have a definitive answer to this as I want to get it as well. After a lot of research, I was under the impression that this DLC is no longer available and they are selling on ebay for hundreds of dollars. I will never buy a game, expansion, or stuff pack on ebay, because there is never a guarantee that a key code has never been used. People can shrink-wrap packages to make them look like they have never been opened, and EA will never provide a code for a product that wasn't sold on their site.
  • Options
    lunar_s0ulslunar_s0uls Posts: 4 New Member
    As the person before me replied to mostly everything else

I finally got my copy on KP pack, it was on ebay so I did take a big risk. But I got lucky; it was 21€ so only 2 bucks more than its release price! and still sealed so it was unused and I finally have it now.
    If you want to be able to redeem it then you should try to find someone selling a sealed box, some bought it back then to re-sell later!
    Just be sure to double and triple check their reviews, and be sure you are able to get your money back in case of a scam. (My mother ones threatened a scammer into refunding me a few years back)

Also both Origin & Steam have an "Add non-Origin/Steam Game" Option, so you can launch them from the other app. I am not entirely sure how that works tho.
    I got most of my TS3 Keys I didnt own yet from InstantGaming, as there each pack is 3-7 bucks nowadays. You get a key and redeem it