Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What to do after a new patch/update and you are having problems (for PC players)...

So, let's be honest, many of us use mods and CC. Those modders and CC makers are very creative, and their creations add a lot of spice to our gameplay. After spending hours on the forums after a patch, reading through bug reports and forum posts, it is very clear that some of you are very impatient and don't understand why your stuff just can't work like it's supposed to after significant changes to the game. It's because EA doesn't actually support modding and CC and they have no duty to consumers to ensure their games run properly with CC and Mods, especially after a patch. And, if your game becomes unstable after a patch because of CC or mods, that's on you. I have been playing The Sims since its inception in 2000, so I have learned a lot from lost saves, bad cc, and bugs. So, I have a few tips for you PC players. (I have never played on a MAC or console. Sorry.)

A little time spent on preparation will make the addition of new content a little less frustrating.

Some recommendations for before and right after patching:

First, before you add the new update or patch, remove your entire Sims 4 folder to your desktop or other location. If you want to test out the new content on a familiar save, make a copy and use that.

Once you remove your folder, do a repair of your game. (In origin, click on My Game Library then right click on the game and select "Repair.") I have long suspected that adding, using, updating, and removing mods and CC can affect the game files. Repairing will replace any missing bits of data, etc. (I actually re-install my game for every new update but I have really fast internet and a very nice PC so this may not be recommended for everyone.)

Once your game is updated, load it up and play on it for a while without mods and/or CC. Do this to see what bugs are present in the game. EA is responsible for its bugs! To make sure they see your post and take it seriously, you need to have been playing without mods or CC in it. This is the best way to separate true bugs from mod issues anyway for everyone's sake.

When you find what you suspect are bugs, visit the Sims Forums under the Help Center section and check out the bug reports. (This is separate from the Modding and CC section where they report broken mods.)

1. Haven't visited this forum before? Read the stickies at the top for instructions and expectations.

2. Review the listings and see if anyone else has reported the bug(s) you are experiencing. If they have, add your report there or click on the "me too" button. It's best to have all reports regarding the same issue in the same post.

3. If you have a unique problem and you don't see a post already, place it in a new post. Give a good description of what is happening and what triggered the event. For example, after the most recent patch, many people reported that their sims aged up after visiting CAS. Enough bug reports narrowed this problem down to players using the "long" life span. This is an example of a bug. It's a flaw in the game that is activated by a certain set of events. The more bug reports and sharing of information, the easier it is to narrow it down and figure out a workaround, and for EA to see it is a widespread problem and they need to fix it because it is not mod-related.

The Help Center is not a place to complain about missing features or gameplay features you don't like. It is a crowd-sourcing tool to gather information about issues occurring with existing content.

Returning CC and Mods to your game:

So, you are ready to get back to playing The Sims 4 in the way you are accustomed to, and you want your mods and cc stuff back in the game.

Here are a few steps you can take to make sure your Mods and CC will function properly in your new game environment:

First, you need to turn Script Mods back on in your game settings. This feature is automatically turned off during an update. Its located under Other in gameplay settings.

Then, there is a section of the Sims Forum called "Sims 4 Modding and Custom Content" where simmers can access various posts about mods and cc. First-time visitor? Read the sticky posts to learn the rules etc. It is especially important to note that certain mods are not allowed to be discussed on the Sims Forum because they change the rating of the game.

Under the General Modding Discussion, there is usually a forum Post called "BROKEN/UPDATED MODS & CC:...” which is one place you can go to see the status of mods after a patch or update. Modders are not required to report to this section, but many do, or in the alternative, they reach out to the moderator of this post. Luthienrising manages this cumbersome information gathering, and it's a huge undertaking so be patient. By following modder communications and crowdsourcing, Luthienrising compiles an ongoing list of mods and CC that have been updated, are broken, or are no longer needed. These lists are located on the first few pages of the post. Below these dedicated pages, other players will post their experiences with mods, and modders may post the status of their mods directly. There is a good chance you will find the status of the particular mods or CC that you use here, provided they don’t violate EA’s rules.

If you don't find the information you seek on the forum, visit the modder’s webpage directly, their Tumblr, their social media, or your Patreon if you pay for content. It is recommended that you do not add a mod back into your game unless you can confirm that it has been updated or was not affected by the patch.

Once you have downloaded your new updated mods and/or CC, place them back in your mods folder, a couple at a time, and play a bit with them to make sure they are actually working ok. (This first time loading up with CC or Mods is also a good time to uncheck the box that asks if you want to view your loaded content every time.) If you add everything back at once and one is giving you problems, it is harder to narrow down which is causing the problem. If you find any problems, let the modder(s) know directly, if you can, via Discord, social media, etc. Or, post your experience in the Sims 4 Modding and Custom Content forum. Things happen; sometimes they say it's updated but post the wrong link; sometimes an unforeseen issue pops up that was missed before, they post the updated package file but not the script file, etc. Behind all of this creative content are humans who work, have families, and other obligations so mistakes will happen. Be patient. If you are rude to someone, don’t expect and response.

I know this is a long post and I apologize for that, but I hope my shared knowledge will help some of you out.
The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2

Comments

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    THIS ^^^^

Invaluable information, especially for new mod/cc users!

There have been many, many posts about broken games after a patch or pack release, only to find out that it was a mod/cc conflict causing the problem. And sometimes it is something that you would not ever think would be causing the conflict.

I always, always, ALWAYS, do exactly what you listed to do
    • Remove TS4 Folder from My Documents to my desktop
    • Start Game and let it generate a new folder
    • Play Game for a while to test things out
    • Put Mods Folder, Saves, Tray and anything else back into the newly generate folder when I feel it's safe