Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is going on with the Custom music in the game?

hello folks
I recently tried to put new songs in my custom music folder. When I came to game and tried to play the songs through the stereo or the settings it didn't work, like there is not sound when I play it.
The files I placed in the folder are mp3, their size is fine. When I play in the folder (outside the game) the songs are played normally and I don't know where is the problem. I had some previous songs that I put a long time ago in the folder, I tested them and they did work fine in game, so only the new songs I added had a problem.
So, what do you say? is it a familiar issue lately?

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    The only thing I can think of at the moment is to check that the new mp3s have a bit rate no larger than 320kbps. If that's not the problem, the recorded volume may be too low, but it seems unlikely in this case, given your description.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    Shira3000Shira3000 Posts: 348 Member
    VeeDub wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of at the moment is to check that the new mp3s have a bit rate no larger than 320kbps. If that's not the problem, the recorded volume may be too low, but it seems unlikely in this case, given your description.

how can I check this?
  • Options
    I believe that this is a problem in the game because the files are truly regular, nothing special about them...
  • Options
    Shira3000 wrote: »
    I believe that this is a problem in the game because the files are truly regular, nothing special about them...

You can usually find the bit rate info in the Details section of the files' Properties, assuming you're on PC. If you're on a Mac, I don't know; I'm not familiar with that file system. There might be a problem with something in your game, but I've never had problems with custom music files myself, and I use a lot of Custom Music in my game. A LOT. :flushed:

I don't know where your mp3 files came from, but if you're 100% certain they're truly .mp3 compressed files (and not FLAC files renamed to use the .mp3 extension, for example), they won't have a bit rate larger than 320kbps. If you're uncertain, you can look at the files' Properties to check. Note that a file's bit rate isn't the same thing as its file size, but the higher the rate, the larger the file size is going to be as well. Mp3 files technically can't be larger than 320kbps to still be classified as such, but certain lossless file types can be (such as FLAC, as I mentioned before), but those types can sometimes be played on devices that only accept mp3 files. There's nothing wrong with them, but some things that require mp3s won't play anything that isn't an actual mp3. I'm guessing the game may be one of those things. And... that's probably way more information than you even wanted or needed. :lol:
  • Options
    I have a pc, and yes the files are mp3 format sound. totally regular... It is really strange.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’ve always added mine under the genres given by the game. Did you put them in a “custom music” folder? If so, I would try moving them to a game-generated folder and just make sure they’re checked in your options (I often uncheck songs from the same folder that the game put there).
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2022
    Maybe don't use a custom folder. As far as I know the Sims does not accept a custom music folder without a mod to do that. I put my songs in one of the genre folders and it works fine. If that doesn't work maybe try repairing the game?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    babajayne wrote: »
    I’ve always added mine under the genres given by the game. Did you put them in a “custom music” folder? If so, I would try moving them to a game-generated folder and just make sure they’re checked in your options (I often uncheck songs from the same folder that the game put there).

@babajayne @Babykittyjade
    Those are excellent points, and can't believe I didn't think to mention them. :blush:

@Shira3000 Another thing I overlooked pointing out is to be sure that your music files are actually in one of the Custom Music sub-folders generated by the game, not in the main Custom Music folder it generates. The game won't "see" them if you just toss 'em into the main folder it creates, and the same goes for any extra folders you might create for Custom Music. You can create extra music folders if you want, but I'd recommend doing that outside of the game, and for storage purposes only, because the game wouldn't be able to use them.