Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Walls start to glitch, then game closes.

Hello. I'm building like a madman and now the game has closed 3 times already without a warning. At the 3th time I saw the walls were glitching, like half invisable. Tried to drag those walls, then it closed again. Anyone know what might be the problem?

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    How much memory is Sims 3 using while you're building? Put the game into windowed mode, open the Task Manager, and check it both when you first load the game and after you've been building for a few minutes. Let me know how high the game's RAM use gets, in absolute terms. If you're seeing a percentage instead, right-click on the Memory header and select absolute values.

And if you use custom content, please try building without it. You don't need to save your progress; just mess around a bit in build mode and see how things go.

If the game still crashes with no cc present, please test in a new save instead, again with no cc.
  • Options
    nonyabusnesnonyabusnes Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks for your response. I found the problem. It's always the cc. Always. *makes notes* Always... check... cc... first... It was even confirmed that this piece of window (hehe) is crashing people, seems like I downloaded the old file (mod the sims).

But, is it normal that the power usage is 'very high' with this game? It says so in my task manager. With red and everything. I've got a brand new comp, and it sounds like it's about to lift off on a mission to the moon when I even leave the launcher of the sims on, it's also on 'very high', even if the game itself isn't running.
    Should I be worried?
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Yeah, no surprise that it was your cc, or at least one item.

It's absolutely normal that Sims 3's power usage is "very high." I don't know what the cutoff is, but any game that's even moderately demanding will exceed that, and you want that to be the case for performance reasons. Your CPU and GPU will need to draw a lot of power to run the game, and that's what they're designed to do. I'm a little surprised the launcher is so demanding, but I wouldn't worry about it.

If your fans are running loud, that could be perfectly normal too, depending on how many and what kinds you have. It could also be a sign of overheating, so it's worth checking out. Have you taken steps to manually limit your in-game framerates? If not, let me know what graphics card your computer has, and I'd also like to know whether it's a laptop or a desktop regardless of framerates.

There are plenty of ways to measure hardware temperatures, but my preference is for hwinfo, which reads pretty much all the sensors it can find. The portable version and the full installer are both free and available here:

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

For the portable version, just unzip it and launch it from Downloads or wherever you want. For the full installer, be sure to click the button for hwinfo itself, not for lansweeper. In either case, launch it and choose sensors only, and you'll see a very long list of measurements. You can ignore most of the data; just look at CPU and GPU temps, near the top and at the bottom, respectively. I'd like to know the overall CPU temps (not per core, just the others like CPU package) and however many GPU temps you see (possibly only the chip itself, possibly also the hotspot and/or the VRAM).

Please check both as soon as you have a save loaded and after you've been playing for at least 20 minutes. When you do so, put the game in windowed mode, but don't minimize it, and let me know the max temperature as well as the current one.
  • Options
    nonyabusnesnonyabusnes Posts: 52 Member
    Yeah, no surprise that it was your cc, or at least one item.
    Have you taken steps to manually limit your in-game framerates? If not, let me know what graphics card your computer has, and I'd also like to know whether it's a laptop or a desktop regardless of framerates.

Sorry I couldn't reply anymore until now, too busy.

I tried to follow some steps on getting the in-game framerates down, but as I am very bad with following steps from guides, I stopped trying to find what I had to do, cause it looks different on my computer for some reason, maybe a different windows version or whatever. I simply lose patience and give up. I'm willing to take another try though, I must find a different guide.

I'm definitely going to try this hwinfo thing, just to make sure things are alright.