Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are these constantly sad babies just broken?

In my game, Geoffrey Landgraab's got three babies, and they're either asleep or constantly crying. I'm gonna be aging them up soon (because this is ridiculous; the guy can't do anything for himself now, even with his child Sim helping to look after the two toddlers), but I wanted to give it a couple of days to see how he (and I) coped looking after all 6 by himself.

It's a nightmare for he and I both.

Since I'm gonna be aging them up later, it's not important but I'm just curious if these babies sound broken? They have a green or white background on their tab for a few seconds before they're asleep or screaming again, even with everything being done for them. I am having glitches with some other households (dog glitches, Sims getting stuck) so it's probably another one added to the list. I've never had babies in the game being this intensely needy lol.
"You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I don't think so. I just think some babies are colicky. I had one of my three in RL that was a grumpy baby. He's a fine young man, now. I do notice that multiples can be cranky. Think about it. They've been trapped in a womb too small for two (or more). Twin A in our family is a cranky girl. She's a bit of a drama queen and not even three years old, yet. If she's unhappy, you'll know it. If she's ecstatic, you'll know it. There is no in between with her. On the other hand Twin B, her brother is a chill kind of kid. I noticed he was all sprawled out in the NickU unit as if saying "awww I finally have some room."

I think this is just the way it is with babies. Their inherit personalities are showing.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,039 Member
    I wish there were more different types of babies, and more visibly so. I have noticed some babies are crankier than others in sims, and I wish they'd make more out of it. Just as I wish they'd make more about of being a new parent.

Imagine this:

When a baby is born it's given a hidden trait, for instance hungry, fussy, clingy, independent - more or less be the same traits given to toddlers, only you wouldn't see the trait until they grow up. When they age up, instead of you choosing their trait, they keep their baby trait - only now visible. This trait then dictates which possible traits are available for them, and which aspirations they're given, as they age up to a child (for instance a charmer would never get the trait loner, but would be more likely to get outgoing, cheerful or bro, a wild child would have a high likelihood of becoming active or adventurous, but wouldn't become lazy). You'd be able to change this if you wanted to, but could also just let them be.

As for parents, imagine a temporary personality trait that lasted while the baby was little with what type of parent they are. So a "worried parent" would check on the baby often, research baby illnesses online and get the option to talk about "is this normal" with their friends, partners or parents. A "loving parent" would be happy whenever near their baby, but tense whenever not near the baby. They'd also want to talk to, coo at or cuddle with their baby often, and brag to their friends about their baby and show off the baby often. A "relaxed parent" would mostly just want to continue like normal and so on. These traits could also tied in with their "normal" traits, at least when it comes with how likely they are, so a self assured person is less likely to be a worried parent for instance or someone who hates children or have a hard time with commitments would be more likely to get negative parent traits and feel trapped and get tense around the crying baby.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @hely0t did a family member recently die? The only time I had a baby cry all the time was when the grandmother had just died. I had no idea that was the reason except she aged up the next day and had the Very Sad grief moodlet right away.
  • Options
    hely0thely0t Posts: 345 Member
    @hely0t did a family member recently die? The only time I had a baby cry all the time was when the grandmother had just died. I had no idea that was the reason except she aged up the next day and had the Very Sad grief moodlet right away.

I've aged them up now and all three are "sad" from losing a parent. Nancy had died before I noticed Geoffrey was raising 6 alone. This makes so much sense! Thanks everyone.
    "You've got a face, I've got a face, it's all gonna be alright." - Noel Fielding
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    That’s a bit weird seeing as a baby wouldn’t be aware of emotions like this nor even the mother dying.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited May 2022
    I have found that lots of simmers are unaware of babies wanting social. I have helped several other players doing the 100 baby challenge when they say a baby is crying and in their video all they do is feed and change the diaper. I have realized this social need when my sim had her parenting skill maximized and she would get little pop ups from the babies if they needed something. Social does come up quite often.

ps. I also had some babies, daddies die during my 100 baby challenge and if the babies, social, hunger and hygiene needs are met, then they don't cry for no reason, they do however get the sad moodlet when they age up, unless you play them as babies for the duration of what a normal household will mourn. Then when they age up all will be good even with a toddler.

Hope all of my above makes sense LOL. Happy simming and remember babies want cuddles and talks too, not just diaper changes and feeds ;)<3
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited May 2022
    I always took care of the babies social needs because that is what I used to do in sims 2 and 3 when babies were actual sims, not just cribs with interactions. It makes sense for them to need attention and love from their parents or caretakers. I am surprised that they can grow up with a sad moodlet from a dying parent. I didn't realise that it was possible for them to gain any moodlet. It makes the babies feel a bit more like actual sims which is nice. Though maybe annoying when it is a constant sad moodlet.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • Options
    ItsMeThatGuyItsMeThatGuy Posts: 305 Member
    edited May 2022
    The needs of babies go down very fast. So feed your babies, and change their diapers when your baby has green puffy gas around! The needs are Hunger, Social, and Hygiene. and a real baby is a lot of work as well. So make sure you feed your babies at least a few times a day! You can improve Social by doing the crib interactions.
    I am NOT part of anything in EA and I'm just a player. I try my best to answer questions in the Sims forums, and showing info about the Sims, even posting answers and thoughts of feedback! I have been playing the Sims 4 for 2 years.
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    I do wonder if they arent abit buggy at times though. Ive just raised 3 toddlers in a challenge and their needs all got met by doing whatever was needed....then I started another one and for some reason the attention need either didnt go up or was so slow it barely moved!
    I ended up having to cheat needs coz no matter how many books were read to them, flashcards, baths, conversations, playtime, etc they were always in the red for attention.
  • Options
    @dogzdinner is the attention from a designated caregiver? Parents are caregivers by default. I think nannies might be too. Others have to click on the toddler and "adopt as care dependent" in order for their attentions to count toward that need.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Constantly crying babies who can't be happy for a second is how it tends to work in my games a lot of the time. I age them up right away, life is too short to be dealing with crying babies in a game I'm playing for fun and relaxation. lol
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Aren't we all just broken?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    I have found that lots of simmers are unaware of babies wanting social.
    I wondered if they do or not. I honestly haven't noticed, because most of my characters give them one anyway. It seems unnatural if they didn't cuddle and rock them. But I often wondered if they actually needed social.

I do have a couple evil sims or "hates children" sims that don't do much with them, but they usually hire nannies so they won't have to deal with them. I haven't really had any babies that don't get enough socialization, so I didn't know if they needed it.

I did notice that older babies cry more than newborns. The longer they are in baby form and not aged up to toddlers, the more they eat and fill their diapers, and probably need more attention too. It seems realistic, but I wonder if they were designed that way intentionally, or if it's just my imagination.

• Options
    BTW, I've found that it's very easy to overfeed babies and toddlers. For awhile it seemed like most my babies were aging into cubby toddlers, and ALL my toddlers aging up into chubby kids. If you don't want ALL the children to be chubby, you need to ignore some of the "feed this baby before it gets taken away" warnings. I think those warnings scare me into overfeeding them.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I wanna go back to the thing about babies aging up into toddlers that are in mourning because a parent of grandparent died.

How would a baby know that? I've had babies age into toddlers that are in mourning because a grandparent died, when that grandparent was not in their household and the toddler probably didn't even know them. Isn't it a little unrealistic that a baby starts crying on their first birthday because a grandparent that isn't even on their friend list died? Does a 12-month-old baby even know what death is?

I can understand if they witnessed the death, or if it was a parent they had a strong bond with, but how would they even know that the grandparent or father they don't even know was dead?

Are sims so cruel that they actually tell toddlers, "Happy 1st Birthday! BTW, your grandpa died, and death is a terrible thing, so start crying now!"

• Options
    Tammors wrote: »
    BTW, I've found that it's very easy to overfeed babies and toddlers. For awhile it seemed like most my babies were aging into cubby toddlers, and ALL my toddlers aging up into chubby kids. If you don't want ALL the children to be chubby, you need to ignore some of the "feed this baby before it gets taken away" warnings. I think those warnings scare me into overfeeding them.

Oooh don't ignore the message that they will get taken away, when you receive that message its because the baby is actually near starving and needs to be fed. One way I find to not over feed your baby is to always start with a social interaction when the baby cries and there is nothing obvious like a cloud of green smog for dirty diaper. So baby cries, pick her/him up and cuddle then, do they still cry afterwards no, then just let them be, or if you feel like it you can rock or bounce, or coo at. If they still cry and there is still no sign of a dirty diaper then feed them. You will find that shortly after a feed, a diaper will need changing, sometimes, just sometimes it does not and baby cried for another cuddle or bounce. So basically in short always start with a social interaction and see what happens ;) I must say I am truly surprised how many times they actually only require social, its more often than you might think :) Happy simming <3
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    I wanna go back to the thing about babies aging up into toddlers that are in mourning because a parent of grandparent died.

How would a baby know that? I've had babies age into toddlers that are in mourning because a grandparent died, when that grandparent was not in their household and the toddler probably didn't even know them. Isn't it a little unrealistic that a baby starts crying on their first birthday because a grandparent that isn't even on their friend list died? Does a 12-month-old baby even know what death is?

I can understand if they witnessed the death, or if it was a parent they had a strong bond with, but how would they even know that the grandparent or father they don't even know was dead?

Are sims so cruel that they actually tell toddlers, "Happy 1st Birthday! BTW, your grandpa died, and death is a terrible thing, so start crying now!"

I totally agree. It’s definitely odd. I’ve had similar, where toddlers have cried over the loss of a grandparent they’ve never met.
  • Options
    I agree with you both. The mourn moodlet needs some tweaking. Its one moodlet that gets applied to the whole family for the same duration no matter age. I usually keep my babies in baby stage until the family's mourning has passed and then age them up. A sad toddler is not easy to care for, and it breaks my heart to see them sobbing in little corners for something they completely don't understand.
  • Options

@Tammors in my game the grandmother was in the household and was a caregiver for the baby along with the dad.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Babies are pretty simple: if they are crying and do not need a diaper change, I feed them, cuddle and rock them. They will sleep or be awake and happy green until diaper change. Change the diaper, coo at them and make a silly face. (Don't talk to them - your Sim will complain about the stinky diaper half the time, and this results in a negative social. Can't think why.)

Sometimes, the diaper and feed interactions are close or simultaneous, but do some cuddling and rocking (after feed/diaper) and the baby will be fine for quite a while. If you have the high parenting level that allows you to do 'quick' baby care (feed/diaper in one move), be sure to give the baby plenty of attention, afterward, because they're not getting the social they would normally get from feeding. (I don't use that option for that reason.)

The only time I've had an issue with babies was a couple of years ago, when there was some sort of bug that kept babies from turning blue and crying when they were hungry. They'd be sleeping or happy-green, and all of a sudden, I'd get a warning that I was going to have the baby taken away.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Honestly I think I rarely ever get crying babies....just when their diapers need changing.
    Thats probably because I queue up practically every interaction to increase the parenting skill!