Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Engima of 13 Nettle Lane

What is the deal with the rental in the Bramblewood, Henford-on-Bagley? It seems like the usual laws of physics don't apply in some of the rooms upstairs.

For no apparent reason, the game won't let me put anything on or close to the wall facing the yard, not even a rug or a curtain. The same problem exists in the adjacent room, which is by default a bathroom.

ts4_x642022-05-0317-3fdkb4.jpg

There isn't anything blocking the way, at least not in the room itself, because when I pick up the entire room and move it somewhere else, the problem disappears... at least until I put it back again. I tried deleting everything around this room, including the entire ground floor and all roofs, but still, no luck. The wall is still cursed.

The gamechanger who originally built the lot apparently couldn't figure it out either, because if you look at those rooms in their default unmodified state, the bed and other furniture that would normally be placed against the wall are actually placed a few steps away from it.

I know it's ridiculous, but this just won't give me any peace! Can anyone enlighten me? :s

Comments

• Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Sorry to say I can't offer any insight about that weirdness, as I've never done a thing with that lot. Thanks to reading about your problems, I probably never will. I'll just knock it down and put something else there if I ever feel a need to use it. :lol:

I do with you good luck in finding a solution, though!
    What is the deal with the rental in the Bramblewood, Henford-on-Bagley? It seems like the usual laws of physics don't apply in some of the rooms upstairs.

For no apparent reason, the game won't let me put anything on or close to the wall facing the yard, not even a rug or a curtain. The same problem exists in the adjacent room, which is by default a bathroom.

ts4_x642022-05-0317-3fdkb4.jpg

There isn't anything blocking the way, at least not in the room itself, because when I pick up the entire room and move it somewhere else, the problem disappears... at least until I put it back again. I tried deleting everything around this room, including the entire ground floor and all roofs, but still, no luck. The wall is still cursed.

The gamechanger who originally built the lot apparently couldn't figure it out either, because if you look at those rooms in their default unmodified state, the bed and other furniture that would normally be placed against the wall are actually placed a few steps away from it.

I know it's ridiculous, but this just won't give me any peace! Can anyone enlighten me? :s

FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Is there a platform near the other side of the wall?
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Sometimes roof do that when they cut into the wall.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    There are several roofs, and the roof of the room below does appear to be a platform, but as I said, the problem persists even if I remove those. I've experimented with that lot for quite some time, and I can't figure it out, it's driving me nuts!
  • Options
    Have you tried to place stuff using the MOO cheat? If it's an object that's causing the interference, you should be able to place stuff on that wall with MOO activated. However, the game sometimes does weird things and I've had a couple of instances when I could not place or build on a spot even though there was nothing visible there, even after using the buldozer tool.
  • Options
    Yes, MOO does override whatever problem that wall has, but the thing is, I really, really want to know whyyy. :D

It's not the first time I'm unable to place an object even though there doesn't seem to be anything in the way. But all those other times before now, I did eventually figure out what was causing the problem, usually another object so well hidden that I didn't spot it immediately. This time... ugh! I'm going to die on this hill, aren't I?
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    edited May 2022
    It's the platform/roof outside (just checked). Drag the roof & ceiling outside out of the way, and the bed goes just fine against the wall. Then you can drag the roof back. It should work, no MOO required.

jkK10ot.png

Lk4LRfh.png

JXy8KJF.png

EDIT: Although, not sure if it will cause problems in routing for Sims. Personally, I'd consider re-orienting the bed away from that wall altogether, but mileages may vary.
  • Options
    @Ceridwen Ok, this is really weird.

If I do as you suggested and simply drag the platform roof away, I can put the bed where I want without MOO, and it even stays there when the platform comes back, as you said. (At least until I grab the bed again, then the game once again tells me I can't put it there.)

ts4_x642022-05-0320-5yykpr.jpg

However, if I do it like before and delete the entire platform roof, which should have the same effect, just more permanent, the problem persists.

ts4_x642022-05-0320-5yukuz.jpg

Oh well... I think I'll just ALT-place the furniture as close to the wall as I can and call it a day, that shouldn't cause any issues. But still... weird.
  • Options
    @Ceridwen Ok, this is really weird.

If I do as you suggested and simply drag the platform roof away, I can put the bed where I want without MOO, and it even stays there when the platform comes back, as you said. (At least until I grab the bed again, then the game once again tells me I can't put it there.)

ts4_x642022-05-0320-5yykpr.jpg

However, if I do it like before and delete the entire platform roof, which should have the same effect, just more permanent, the problem persists.

ts4_x642022-05-0320-5yukuz.jpg

Oh well... I think I'll just ALT-place the furniture as close to the wall as I can and call it a day, that shouldn't cause any issues. But still... weird.

You could try re-define the bedroom as a room with the custom room tool. Instead of deleting the platform, you should have just lowered it.
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    Did you try dragging the ceiling as well? When I did my example, I dragged the platform roof and the ceiling together, then after I just dragged the roof back, and not the ceiling. Don't know if that really makes a difference; but I think I could happily agree with your sentiment: it's weird! but that's the Sims 4, apparently. :D
  • Options
    @crocobaura OMG, you're a genius! Redefining the room didn't change anything, but lowering the roof platform by just one click solved the problem! The platform is still there, but the wall is now useable:

ts4_x642022-05-0321-2hok04.jpg

I don't usually have trouble putting things next to platforms, so I still don't understand why there was ever a problem to begin with, and why deleting the platform altogether doesn't solve it, but at least there's a workaround for now.
  • Options
    Glad you could fix it. You could also try and see if it gets fixed if you remove just the platform trim without lowering the platform.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    I've had similar issues when adding a platform to a build and then changing my mind and removing the platform. Even though I've deleted the platform, I get an error like "Object can't intersect obstructions" when trying to place an object across where the platform edge used to be. It's like the game remembers the platform even though I've deleted it. Doesn't matter if I delete it or if I hit "undo" to a point before placing the platform. I have to revert to a saved game from before I placed the platform.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Yeah, I was getting ready to say, lower that platform thing
    I'm glad you got it to work.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited May 2022
    This feels to me like one of those things where letting Community Builders (formerly Gamechangers) build using MOO... It's just not a good idea.
    There were many reasons earlier packs had "boring" houses; one major one was that the internal rules at Maxis were No MOO Allowed.

Now you get better looking builds but not neccesarely better builds. Like this one, or the Crane build where the lamp blocks the bookshelf (and the bed?) in Evergreen Harbor, or some of the houses in Snowy Escape where platforms are used to block access to space, or...

I am not naming names, but we can't blame Maxis for not game testing their lots (Cough No Toilet Cough) but at the same time tolerate "Simtubers" doing mistakes in "official" builds because they were allowed to use MOO.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    It is simple really, the wall the bed is on has a platform on the other side {as a flat Roof}, you can either click on the platform and lower it or put the bed on the other wall.
  • Options
    gc6164gc6164 Posts: 516 Member
    This feels to me like one of those things where letting Community Builders (formerly Gamechangers) build using MOO... It's just not a good idea.
    There were many reasons earlier packs had "boring" houses; one major one was that the internal rules at Maxis were No MOO Allowed.

Now you get better looking builds but not neccesarely better builds. Like this one, or the Crane build where the lamp blocks the bookshelf (and the bed?) in Evergreen Harbor, or some of the houses in Snowy Escape where platforms are used to block access to space, or...

I am not naming names, but we can't blame Maxis for not game testing their lots (Cough No Toilet Cough) but at the same time tolerate "Simtubers" doing mistakes in "official" builds because they were allowed to use MOO.

I agree with this however I believe if there was some QA from either Maxis or even the builders themselves this could be solved..
    I thought having the community builders create the houses would stop my habit of bulldozing and rebuilding every lot, however I still find myself having to resort to this. The routing issues really annoy me due to the unnecessary, excessive use of platforms and 'alt' placing they do without testing the function of the build.
    rqjiqrf78ux6.gif

• Options
    gc6164 wrote: »

I agree with this however I believe if there was some QA from either Maxis or even the builders themselves this could be solved..
    I thought having the community builders create the houses would stop my habit of bulldozing and rebuilding every lot, however I still find myself having to resort to this. The routing issues really annoy me due to the unnecessary, excessive use of platforms and 'alt' placing they do without testing the function of the build.

(This is an entirely different discussion, but if anyone look up my posting history can obviously see I have been ranting against overly cluttered houses even by famous gamechanger builders who clearly only build these days and never play, hence has stopped playtesting their builds).
  • Options
    The community builders are actually not allowed to use MOO in the builds that end up in the game, and there are other rules they have to follow as well, as explained in their videos, but some try anyway and get away with it. In this case, however, the builder didn't use MOO in these rooms because, as I said in my above post, if you look at the rooms in their default state, nothing is placed against the walls that don't allow it.
  • Options
    lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    The community builders are actually not allowed to use MOO in the builds that end up in the game, and there are other rules they have to follow as well, as explained in their videos, but some try anyway and get away with it. In this case, however, the builder didn't use MOO in these rooms because, as I said in my above post, if you look at the rooms in their default state, nothing is placed against the walls that don't allow it.

I would say it is not a rule if the packs are released with builds made with MOO. More like a suggestion.
    The reason you can't place the bed next to the wall is because there is a platform on the other side {the flat roof}. If you click on it and lower the platform, you can then place your bed. And it doesn't really make any difference to the house.
    There is no way to place floor items on a wall with a platform on the other side without MOO.
  • Options

That was a hard rule, but both there are obvious examples in both Snowy Escape and Eco Lifestyle for example where there is no possible way to put objects the way they are without MOO.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

That was a hard rule, but both there are obvious examples in both Snowy Escape and Eco Lifestyle for example where there is no possible way to put objects the way they are without MOO.
    I'm not disagreeing with that, just with your earlier statement that they were allowed to use MOO in official builds. They weren't supposed to, some just did it anyway. I also agree that the use of MOO to a point where it interferes with functionality is a bad thing, but I'm not sure why you view this particular build as an example of that, because MOO is not what's causing the problem here. It's the equally annoying, new can of worms called platforms.

lori171957 wrote: »
    The reason you can't place the bed next to the wall is because there is a platform on the other side {the flat roof}. If you click on it and lower the platform, you can then place your bed. And it doesn't really make any difference to the house.
    I know, thanks. Crocobaura already suggested that and it worked.

This is what the room looks like now:

jillszimmer1bjys.jpg

Thank you all for helping me solve this problem. It would have been a shame if I couldn't have used that wall, and I didn't want to resort to MOO. The only "cheat" I used was ALT placement for the little plant between the bed and the wardrobe.