Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Training a Spoiled Cat (Edit: Solved...Nevermind!)

StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
I rarely adopt cats or dogs into any of my played households...so excuse me that this is such a dated question.

Right now one of my played households has a cat with the "Spoiled" trait. I'm trying to train the thing to NOT jump on counters and eat the human food, but it seems like the training isn't working at all and the trait does say it makes them "hardly ever" respond to being scolded. Thing is, that is really, really vague.
I read in a guide some time ago that normally it takes like 3 interactions to train a behavior. I'm just curious if anyone knows, does "Spoiled" just mean I will just have to scold them a bunch more times? Or does it mean there's like a flat chance it doesn't count at all, so I could spend forever trying without getting this cat trained?

...I'm going to give up and just let the cat do what it wants if there's not at least some guaranteed light at the end of this tunnel. :lol:

Edit: Well... I guess there's a threshhold at which point the game gives you a new command to "BEG" the cat to stop doing something. I just successfully trained it to not jump on counters.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• Options
    @babajayne, as a cat lover irl I laughed at loud all the way from my belly reading your reply. I guess the game simulates real cats very well. :lol:
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I have tried to keep them off the counter but there is a limit to how much scolding a cat will tolerate before it turns on his/her owner. I had that happen to a sim who was trying to get the cat to come down off the counter. The cat spent 24 hours on the countertop so I know there was something wrong. The cat started hissing at her owner and that's when the relationship bar dropped dramatically, lol.

My sims only have dogs. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    bshag4lv wrote: »

:lol: Yah, I now have two played households who have adopted cats. BOTH times the cat has the spoiled trait...I really wish I could look at traits before picking which one to adopt. I guess that's the point of the lady coming with the carrier and then you can choose to adopt or not, but once they are right in front of me I can't just turn them away...

So far it's been fine though since I begged the cat to stay off the counters. Crossing fingers it stays that way.

To be honest, I don't really care if they jump on counters. I just don't want them eating people food. And I keep that on the counters...
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »

:lol: Yah, I now have two played households who have adopted cats. BOTH times the cat has the spoiled trait...I really wish I could look at traits before picking which one to adopt. I guess that's the point of the lady coming with the carrier and then you can choose to adopt or not, but once they are right in front of me I can't just turn them away...

So far it's been fine though since I begged the cat to stay off the counters. Crossing fingers it stays that way.

To be honest, I don't really care if they jump on counters. I just don't want them eating people food. And I keep that on the counters...

Just keep the food somewhere else, where the cat doesn't get to, like a small side table with a slot just for one plate of food and no room for a cat.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited March 2022
    -Wrong thread-
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member

I just got Cats and Dogs and adopted a puppy. The cas.fulleditmode cheat works for pets if Your unable to train a trait out of it that You do not like. I trained a puppy yesterday diligently and managed to change its traits and I used that cheat to keep checking them. I wish there was a cheat to fix the problem with the Vet never treating your pet. I went through that yesterday to. My Sim spent the entire day at the vet and I finally gave up bc the Vet kept leaving the lot to go across the street to the beach.
  • Options
    @spend4zen, I didn't know you could train the traits! I need to head over to Carl's guides to research that. Thanks for sharing that info!

I have, fortunately, not had any issue with the vet in my game so far. I've visited 3 times and my pet has always got in very quickly once I signed up. Once it was for a sick pet, the other two times to spay the cat after it aged up from kitten. I don't have my vet clinic in a neighborhood where there is much to do off-lot though, so that probably helps.
  • Options
    spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    @spend4zen, I didn't know you could train the traits! I need to head over to Carl's guides to research that. Thanks for sharing that info!

I have, fortunately, not had any issue with the vet in my game so far. I've visited 3 times and my pet has always got in very quickly once I signed up. Once it was for a sick pet, the other two times to spay the cat after it aged up from kitten. I don't have my vet clinic in a neighborhood where there is much to do off-lot though, so that probably helps.

Thanks for your tip to, I am going to try a Vet in a location that is not a vacation destination type world. I have noticed that Sulani is very buggy in that regard, it is fine for houses or rentals, but trying to build retail, or vets does not work.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited March 2022

It's not just the cats sampling the food, but also jumping on the counter while food preparation is underway. You'd think that after their humans have prepared a mixed cat and lettuce salad or a cattail tomato soup a few times, they'd learn, but, no.
  • Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,024 Member
    You'd think that after their humans have prepared a mixed cat and lettuce salad or a cattail tomato soup a few times, they'd learn, but, no.
    y4m5XA4crTHkDOha2AFXkpqTnMTJIlz60xgXV8LBOeG2LrB9UnbrX8CjYNK-rOemEm6HIdU56WK4GUKXCE_wtwK1n0KX-08a-txtAatDoeICJAnobxuB5vl_ikBrLtR3q5NJoFUI063ZJJY7sHWWkNNGnIUNvS4Iuv2rstIOKHbqnexR9BEoN93iRDNxZZBkU5g?width=768&height=432&cropmode=none
  • Options
    Yup, this.^^^

Kinda ruins the game immersion. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I dunno, @bshag4lv....have you ever had a cat in real life? That screenshot is actually kind of reminiscent of a cat I once had. Regardless of what I would try to do, she would get herself right in the middle of it. If I was cooking, she'd get right up there where I was preparing food and lay down in the way. If i was using the computer, she'd get up on the desk and lay down on the keyboard. If I was taking a shower, she'd jump in the shower with me.

I did eventually train her to stay off the kitchen counters and dining table though...cat hair in food is not something I'm fond of.

Some cats, if you raise them from a kitten and spoil them a lot, really just don't like to be alone. :lol:
  • Options
    Hey Stormkeep, I have had many kitties in real life and all but 2 were trained to stay off the kitchen counters and table. Those two made the cats in Sims 4, adorable, lol.

Now, my kitty sleeps on the bed with anyone willing to lay down for a few minutes, jumps on my computer desk and lays on the keyboard, and he snuggles with me every night. Sims 4 cats, meh. :D
  • Options
    GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    :lol: Yah, I now have two played households who have adopted cats. BOTH times the cat has the spoiled trait...I really wish I could look at traits before picking which one to adopt.

I usually only have my sims adopt strays, where you can make friends and learn the traits before adopting.

...of course, when the cat is right there in front of my sim, AND they've already made friends with it, it's even harder not to adopt!
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    @Grouchybeast, for sure...there's no way I'd be able to resist adopting a stray once I got to the point that my sim knows it's traits.

In my game, there were no strays. There were no pets at all, anywhere, until the patch which added NS pet adoptions. I had 0 cats and 0 dogs in my save game according to MCCC population logs. All the strays which the game generates when it's a new game had long since died of old age and the game never generated any new ones. No idea why.
  • Options
    I've tried to adopt strays before as it hits a nerve with me, lol. Problem, I've never been able to adopt them as the interaction never comes up even though I have made friends with the stray. If it had shown up I would have had them in my games.
  • Options
    GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    In my game, there were no strays. There were no pets at all, anywhere, until the patch which added NS pet adoptions. I had 0 cats and 0 dogs in my save game according to MCCC population logs. All the strays which the game generates when it's a new game had long since died of old age and the game never generated any new ones. No idea why.

IIRC, in vanilla Cats & Dogs, the strays only spawn in Brindleton Bay, so if you don't go there you won't see them. I have a mod that spawns them in all worlds, though, so I don't know that for sure.
    I've tried to adopt strays before as it hits a nerve with me, lol. Problem, I've never been able to adopt them as the interaction never comes up even though I have made friends with the stray. If it had shown up I would have had them in my games.

You need to keep raising the relationship with the stray for a bit after reaching friendship level before you can try to adopt them.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde