Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University while unplayed

I've read a lot of posts here that say if you don't play a Sim through university they will fail their classes, but just as an experiment I had one sim enroll for 3 classes right before rotating to another household. I basically did not play the semester at all other than to do her homework the first time before rotating away.

She got an A+ on all 3 classes.

I suspect having the responsibility character value trait and the fact that she was already high in the skills in question was sufficient for her to get good grades. Either way, imo, this is useful information....I don't need to feel like I have to play a sim for an entire semester now that I know it isn't as bad as some people have made it out to be.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    That’s interesting. I’m curious to know, was it her first or second term, or a more advanced term? The classes seem to require higher skills the closer they get to graduation. I do think skill level has a lot to do with it. I’m just not sure about the responsibility trait (you may be right, it just seems deep for how this game usually functions).
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    @babajayne, it was her 2nd term. I played out her first term (and she got A+). I'm playing through her 3rd term right now.

She will need just 2 more classes to graduate after this term is over and I'm thinking of rotating away from her for that as well, just to see how the final term goes. Worse case scenario is I have to take a class or two over if she does fail.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @Stormkeep Sounds like a good test. Let us know what level her relevant skills are too, if you don’t mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The relevent skills for her degree are Fitness, Gardening, and Logic. During that 2nd term she had 9 fitness, 4 gardening and 8 logic.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    I find it fun, on the whole, since I take my significant YAs through all at once and have them live in the same Dorm. I do it in three Terms, so that they graduate together and from there are able to begin their lives. I plan on taking seven through, again. The names are all the same, but the Sims (Astrid and Sandi) are NOT Kayleigh's triplet sisters this time. I was vexed that I could hardly tell the cousins apart. Sandi has very dark brown hair and looks very different. Astrid has the Chestnut color hair (lighter brown with reddish tinge to it). She also doesn't look like the Golden family. This should be a hoot.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    That's interesting!

I agree that skill level might be essential, as the responsible trait. I assume also the "happy toddler" trait might help, making them build skills faster.

My guess is that many simmers send their student directly from CAS. Even if cheating skills, I think there might be hidden factors that only a sim who lived in game will build. That CAS sims has a bigger chance of failing than sims who grew up in game.

I do play most of my students, but sometimes I left them on their own and they did not get A+ but they did pretty well. That was not for the entire term though, more like the final couple days.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I play rotationally, and when I age up each University class, I take a bunch of their townie classmates, throw them into an empty lot, enroll them all in University, and then evict them back out of the lot. That way I have options for roommates, but also they see their peers around campus as they go through. Interestingly, when I leave these NPCs alone, some of them end up graduating eventually while others fail out. It seems pretty random to me and I don't know if skills or traits influence it.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    That's interesting. When I rotate during a semester they usually drop down from A+ a few grade points.
  • Options
    Elliandre wrote: »
    That's interesting. When I rotate during a semester they usually drop down from A+ a few grade points.

I was actually willing to accept a lower grade, as long as she still got credit for the classes. I don't need every sim I play to graduate 'with honors'. I did find it interesting that she still got such a high grade though. There's got to be some underlying reasons for it being different from what you've experienced.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Elliandre wrote: »

I was actually willing to accept a lower grade, as long as she still got credit for the classes. I don't need every sim I play to graduate 'with honors'. I did find it interesting that she still got such a high grade though. There's got to be some underlying reasons for it being different from what you've experienced.

You only did homework once? Did you send her to any classes? So maybe each semester you only need to do homework once and then you can rotate away and leave them and they will get an A+? That would be nice
  • Options
    I enrolled on a friday afternoon and did her homework that afternoon, then rotated away. So, no, I did not send her to any classes because those didn't start until the following Monday.

I also didn't do any term paper or presentation she may have needed...but I also didn't check if she even needed either of those. That could be a factor, if all of her classes just required homework and taking the final exam and neither of those other tasks.
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,101 Member
    When i left my sims alone at University, one had a D and the others went on to academic probation.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2022
    I think the Responsible trait might be the key here. It gives sims 100% completion on homework at the end of the school day. In university, I would assume it does the same after each class.

It might also count for projects like term papers and presentations, or it might effect other factors, like simulating studying to make up any knowledge gap.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    I've actually done this a lot of times cos I get fed up of repeatedly playing through uni and I send a lot there in my rotations cos I feel like certain careers should have a degree.

Sims seem to fare better if I play their first term, get them a good grade and then rotate away. Mostly on my return I find they've got an A or B grade. But sometimes I have had them fail.

It seems fairly random to me, but I have to admit I've not taken records of their starting skills, traits etc.
  • Options
    InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    I usually enroll them cheat the needs and get all homework and Papers/presentations done then rotate away and come back on the final day and make sure everything is good usually they get As or Bs that way
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    This is so interesting.

I am a very slow player so I have had one sim try maybe two classes when the pack first came out but I haven’t explored it in a dedicated save. I feel much more confident about playing Uni in a rotational save after reading some posts here.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,380 Member
    edited March 2022
    I had a CAS sim enroll in college and completed the Villain degree with honors. Then I enrolled him in the Psychology course, then rotated to play another sim. I had forgotten about him and when remembering Alec I thought for sure he would have failed but no, he finished college on his own, a Psychology degree with honors and A+. Amazing little pixtels!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.