Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I collect a sims ashes from another household in the Sims 4?

LuckySimmer10LuckySimmer10 Posts: 116 Member
Hi there! This may seem like an odd question to ask in the forums, but first, let me explain where I'm coming from. I have several generations of sims living in the different worlds in my main save, and to play with them all and progress each of their lives, I use loose rotational gameplay. I also go back and forth between having the aging off and on a long lifespan, and sometimes I'll age a sim up manually or wait for their birthday. Currently, I have the aging off, and I would like to turn it back on, but my sims that started this whole save are elders now and will likely die of old age soon :disappointed:. Despite them being two of my favorite sims ever, I don't want to play with them 24/7 in-game until they pass, because who knows when that will be! However, I'm afraid to turn the aging on and play with other sims or families in the save and get that dreaded phone call that they passed (and I'm guessing they will both go at the same time since I added them to the game together). I'm afraid that if they do pass together I won't be able to get their ashes since no one would technically live on their lot anymore (except for their already ghost pets) and the urns tend to disappear from the lot in situations like that. For instance, the parents of another sim in this same save, I manually aged up to elder in CAS via a game cheat and when I immediately started playing again, their daughter got a call that they both passed away from old age at the same time. I tried traveling to the lot they lived at, but since no one technically lived there anymore I believe I was not able to access the urns, therefore the daughter does not have any in-game graves attached to her parents to visit. I do not want this to happen with my main sims that started this save as it is incredibly important to me that they have graves their family can visit. If one of them passes before the other though, then I should be able to go in and find the urn, but there's still the issue of when the other sim dies, and then I can't find their urn to transfer to a grave. So basically, I was just wondering if there is any way to ensure that the urns are collected by another sim when there technically isn't anyone still living at the lot they died on, where the urns just seem to vanish in that case? I hope all of this made sense!

By the way, I play on a Windows laptop, so if there is a mod or something that may solve this, it's fine to suggest it! :) Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    There are a handful of different mods which help with this. I personally use this one, which lets me summon the Urns of any Sims who are ghosts to my currently selected Sim. I find that easier to manage than having to worry about which sim automatically got which urn. Using it just involves selecting the ghosts whose urns you want from a sim picker, super simple.

There are also mods that automatically drop urns into active sims personal inventories. I believe that is one of the functions which NPCC has, for example, and there are others.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Thanks for the thread and the link! I recently switched from long lifespan to normal and my word, but there are many sims deaths...14 all at once right after I signed in. :o I would love to have some urns/tombstones to build a cemetary...this mod is perfect! o:)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 2022
    honestly i don't know cause i play aging off but if having living sim in the household helps maybe you could assign them "caretaker" sim to keep them company in the household ?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited February 2022
    Well, for those that don’t use mods or can’t because they are on console, how about making the elderly couple playable, moving a long lost relative ( created in in CAS with the elderly sims ) into the household, then when the elders die, going into the their household, putting their urn in the long lost relatives inventory and then moving the long lost relative into your younger sims home, doing what you want with the urns then either delete the sim or send them to live not in world.

You might want to test it by moving 2 sims in, just in case what I suggested doesn’t work. Downloading a duplicator ( from the science career ) in get to work, and seeing if you can duplicate the urns with positive results.

I play with aging off and haven’t tried this, but it might work, if you can transfer sims over to another house with their inventory still intact.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited March 2022
    I use this onebut you have to have a decorative gravestone near your sim to get stones/urns of your family members who died outside your active household
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Well, for those that don’t use mods or can’t because they are on console, how about making the elderly couple playable, moving a long lost relative ( created in in CAS with the elderly sims ) into the household, then when the elders die, going into the their household, putting their urn in the long lost relatives inventory and then moving the long lost relative into your younger sims home, doing what you want with the urns then either delete the sim or send them to live not in world.

You might want to test it by moving 2 sims in, just in case what I suggested doesn’t work. Downloading a duplicator ( from the science career ) in get to work, and seeing if you can duplicate the urns with positive results.

I play with aging off and haven’t tried this, but it might work, if you can transfer sims over to another house with their inventory still intact.

I had that happen before and the deceased sims' stones/urns weren't on the lot.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    There are a handful of different mods which help with this. I personally use this one, which lets me summon the Urns of any Sims who are ghosts to my currently selected Sim. I find that easier to manage than having to worry about which sim automatically got which urn. Using it just involves selecting the ghosts whose urns you want from a sim picker, super simple.

There are also mods that automatically drop urns into active sims personal inventories. I believe that is one of the functions which NPCC has, for example, and there are others.

I downloaded the mod and when I tried summoning an urn for a ghost, the sims that have already died in my game (that I created) except for the pets were not an option. I then tried summoning an urn for a random living sim townie, and it gave me an urn with an epitaph that read R.I.P _____ (whatever the sims name was), so I am unsure if that caused them to die or not, and I do not want to try it on one of my main sims if that is the case. I guess I'm just confused at what the difference is between summoning an urn, binding an urn, and when I should complete each of those tasks for the sims. Have you used the mod, and if so, is there any extra insight you could give me? Thank you.
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    honestly i don't know cause i play aging off but if having living sim in the household helps maybe you could assign them "caretaker" sim to keep them company in the household ?

I have thought of this solution before, and I think that I might try it so I have a backup if the other solutions people are suggesting fail.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited March 2022
    I do use the mod, yes, @LuckySimmer10.

If a ghost is not available to select for summon an urn, it means the ghost is no longer in the game at all. It was probably culled.

As far as the difference between summoning and binding. Summoning gets you an urn that is already bound to that particular ghost. Binding binds an urn that already exists to a specific ghost. You never need to do both.

Think of it this way. If there is a dead sim for which you need the urn, you "summon". If you have a urn that needs a ghost, you use "bind". Binding is useful if you have a graveyard, for example, because over time the ghosts associated with the graves are culled. Instead of having to replace gravestones with new ones that do have ghosts, it lets you bind new ghosts to those that are already in place.

I suggest you read the mod's description page as it explains all of that as well as the other features pretty well.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2022
    Ashes? You don't. You send a sim from the household of the deceased sim to pick up the urn, or have a played sim on the lot with the urn to put the urn in his or her inventory, visit the household of the deceased sim and put the urn there.

Been there, done that more than once. No mod needed.

----
    I move additional sims into households before the last sim dies from old ages, and use the "active household only" option for aging. I don't really play rotational but pick random households among the played ones.
    Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on