Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are Butlers ok to play with and where to eat?

So my sim is a rags to riches millionairess in the make money scenario but as i gave her lavish trait from a mod she hates cooking i either need to hire a butler which i will do at some point and find kiosks, places etc to eat appropriate meals at. Are butlers bug free and also where is there to eat?

Comments

• Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 957 Member
    Where to eat depends on which packs are available. Most expansions and game packs starting with City Living came with food stalls. Dine Out came with restaurants. Bars sell food, too.

I only have one butler who is hard to spot, but probably does a decent job.

• Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    The only problem with butlers is that you'll have another one if you leave the lot.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2022
    If you use mods I recommend LittleMsSam's Better Butlers mod to tweak them to your liking.

You can also use the "Hire Caterer" interaction on the fridge, which costs 100 iirc. A Caterer NPC will come and cook a load of group meals for a set period of time. You just have to put them away in the fridge. Once that's done, you can live off of leftovers until they spoil. To save on wastage, throw a party when there's a day or two left on the timers and guests will help themselves from the fridge (or take them with you to a venue). Then repeat the process ad infinitum.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    I haven't had any problems with butlers after I've figured out, that they need a double door to the room, where their beds stand, to function right.. Together with a nanny, my big sims family never run out of any food. The only minor issue was that he loved to stay in front of the television and check for dust where my sim wanted to watch the TV show, it didn't interfere the fun creating.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    If the Butler is buggy, there's always takeout. The delivery menu has significantly improved with later packs. I think I may have ordered lobster or sushi one time.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited February 2022
    In addition to all the other food options mentioned above, I also always have a retail location somewhere in one of the worlds that I set up as a grocery store with one section which sells pre-prepared foods in party sized group meal portions. It seems like a perfectly fair way to get meals considering it costs more than if you had just had your sim make the meal themselves.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,906 Member
    edited February 2022
    The only bug I've encountered with butlers is that if you are playing other households in the same save, the butler's bill continues to accumulate while you are off playing other households.
    Otherwise butlers are awesome. Make sure to assign a bed to the butler if you want them to be live-in, set door locks to allow or not allow the butler where you want, use the "Butler" menu that you get from clicking on the butler to fine-tune their actions to your liking.

(Butlers can be more or less competent, too, that's part of the gameplay. They can be reprimanded or fired if they aren't good.)
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Gagea wrote: »
    The only problem with butlers is that you'll have another one if you leave the lot.

I only had that happen once. I typically play with large families filled with many toddlers and never (until this game) without a butler. Only once did I ever come back to find a different butler.

I won't even consider playing without a butler, again besides this game. This one is different because I want my Sims to actually raise their own kids this time.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    The only bug I've encountered with butlers is that if you are playing other households in the same save, the butler's bill continues to accumulate while you are off playing other households.
    Otherwise butlers are awesome. Make sure to assign a bed to the butler if you want them to be live-in, set door locks to allow or not allow the butler where you want, use the "Butler" menu that you get from clicking on the butler to fine-tune their actions to your liking.

(Butlers can be more or less competent, too, that's part of the gameplay. They can be reprimanded or fired if they aren't good.)

Where do you even find the butler's bill? I feel like my butlers are free because it doesn't seem like I'm billed for them.
  • Options
    Every once in awhile you'll have money leave your total funds as if you'd just made a purchase. I think it's around 200 per week. If you don't have the cash right then, it should just get added to your weekly bills. If you have the free services trait, I think it is free (that could just be for single use services though.)

I've just gotten back on the sims and haven't played with a butler for awhile so don't remember the specifics.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2022
    I had a butler once in Judith Wards mansion, he was utterly useless and also to top matters off I gave him a makeover and then shortly after that the game decided to just replace him for a new random sim. I haven't bothered using butlers since that time.
  • Options
    That sucks. You should try again. As I said, I've only had one butler get replaced. Of course I'm sure you made sure to assign your butler to a bed but just saying it in case you missed that.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,906 Member
    @IceyJ Normally it leaves the household funds automatically. Mine was around 200 every day at midday. But the one that happened after rotating away and back again had a notification like this
    Screen-Shot-2021-09-16-at-8-54-27-PM.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    That sucks. You should try again. As I said, I've only had one butler get replaced. Of course I'm sure you made sure to assign your butler to a bed but just saying it in case you missed that.

You're lucky, because my butlers are replaced almost every time I leave the lot. You'll see the (new) butler jogging onto the lot when you return, as if they're just arriving. On a positive note, the game seems to rotate through a small group of them, so sometimes I get my original butler back.

Perhaps your sims rarely leave home?
  • Options
    @IceyJ Normally it leaves the household funds automatically. Mine was around 200 every day at midday. But the one that happened after rotating away and back again had a notification like this
    Screen-Shot-2021-09-16-at-8-54-27-PM.png

Wow. Yeah, I think I've seen a notification like that maybe once, and I have multiple butlers in multiple homes that I rotate through. I think I'd notice too, if my funds were being reduced every day.

Maybe my game is glitched, but I'll pay more attention next time.
  • Options
    RitaMaryRitaMary Posts: 51 Member
    My problem here is that the family butler keeps getting replaced with another butler when I switch households. I wish it's just the same butler for a household unless I dismiss him/her.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,681 Member
    I did not play the butler since long, as I had major problems with them charging my household with gigantic bills, resulting in most finer homes having cash balance of §0. I suspect it happened because I play on rotation and that butlers kept charging also for days I was not playing that household. So, I now have live-in played butlers instead.

I don't know if the charging has been fixed yet. If you don't play many households this should be nothing to worry about. I never had problems with their work. They sometimes came and left the house but that might not happen (so much) if just that household is played. They cleaned and cooked and repaired etc, depending on what schedule/tasks they were signed up for. Their skills and personality vary, so there will be some bad guys and some treasures, you can easily ask for another butler if you are not satisfied ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    DizzyDi34DizzyDi34 Posts: 449 Member
    Do butlers or nannys do laundry also? just curious.
  • Options
    Another question about eating out, can you have a restaurant serve every meal instead of having it just be a preset style?
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    DizzyDi34 wrote: »
    Another question about eating out, can you have a restaurant serve every meal instead of having it just be a preset style?

You can customize the menus that restaurants have in build buy, so you aren't just limited to presets.
    There may be an upper limit on just how many total things can be on the menu though, so I'm not sure if you can have one restaurant which has "everything"...I've customized all of the restaurant's menu's in my game, but I never tried making them have that many options.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    there is indeed a limit on the number of dishes a restaurant can serve, it's 30 in each category. i've got a lot of different restaurants in my game and some of their themes hit that cap pretty easily, so gotta be careful deciding what i want to use in the

definitely suggest creating your own types of restaurants to help vary things up. some of mine, as examples:

selvadoradan (all the food from the jungle adventures, mexican food from city living, and the brazilian (and other south american) dishes we've gotten in different free updates)
    pan-asian (chinese, japanese, korean dishes and currently also has the indian dishes until i get around to making an indian restaurant)
    seafood (everything from fried fish to walleye surprise to lobster rolls and more)
    japanese teahouse (in komerobi, has all the various tea options, both hot and cold, as well as an assortment of lighter japanese fare and various desserts)
    vegan (just... vegetarian and lactose-free versions of dishes, for vegetarian sims, lactose intolerant sims or just those who refuse to eat meat, at least for a time... it's also got the 'hottest spot in town' lot trait and is in uptown, so it's very much an upscale restaurant. non-celebs have to pay an entrance fee to eat there because of that trait. which i kinda like the idea of)

as for the butlers... i've got 5 butlers in my main game, technically, though only 4 get used. two normal sims, a vampire and an alien. i do have ghost butler, too, but have yet to see him actually show up for work at any of the lots that use butlers...
    (you can't really make an occult butler at first, sadly. if you want one, gotta cheat the occult traits you want onto them (or use mccc or a similar mod))

i've had the swapping butlers thing happen occasionally, but it's never been a huge deal for me. it is annoying, though, when the household that's supposed to have the alien butler (an astronaut academy) has one of the others show up for a while, or the alien shows up at 'normal' household with a butler, but i just let it happen and they eventually seem to wind up back at their proper households whenever i eventually get back to playing said household again
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    You can tell butlers to make food or serve drinks. They'll do it automatically sometimes. The Butler being replaced doesn't really bother me because so many butlers are no good but every once in a while I get a butler I really like and it's sad when they're not there anymore. Another food hack is just having the Banquet table. You just click on the table and select the food you want.
  • Options
    My sim uses the lilmssams food deivery mod alot as she has the refined palate so she orders appropriate food for that time of day (think they may have every type of food in the delivery list) and every serving is excellent quality, also if you have the free services reward its free food. I placed a restaurant in brindleton bay which fits her famous status and the decor and style is very fitting of her, i just change the menus to what type of outing shes having there eg. if its a date its italian which i find has a good mix, brunch if eating with friends and so forth, just have to take the rare food poisoning episodes. The food stalls around the different towns are also excellent quality i find. Hopefully butlers cook excellent quality dishes but if not will stick to what i know, i wish each type of food gave you a little description mostly with the cultural foods as ive never heard of some of them before and it would be a nice little extra bit of info.