Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking for ideas for cultural community lot with focus on Literature

So, every now and then I get the idea to add to some community lot. Luckily I have several old community lots that could need a makeover anyway.

Now I want to build a cultural center for sims who are Writers, Readers or work with those. I have a couple ideas for the build, but hopefully others have done something similar or just like to help by sharing ideas. I did not play my Writers intensively in the past, so there might be features I missed (or forgot).

Base for my build will be a Publisher company, managed by one of my sims as a business (I have a system on the side for that, but the manager will attend office(s) on this lot when working from home.

There might be a couple offices and a meeting room that an be used for story telling later. I guess these can be upstairs.
Downstairs I plan a bookstore (not sure yet if it will be an active retail lot or how to categorize the lot - the Manager will not be the retail owner. Maybe also a corner or separate room for literature speeches/releases (I love playing nerdy sims!). Such a room can be used for other events, too.

Then it stops :) I need a few more features to go with such a lot. Is there anything connecting directly (or indirectly) to the Writer career? I guess the book store can also sell laptops and desk equipment, but I'd rather add something involving activity for visiting sims.

Ideas?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2022
    For someone who actually enjoys reading, the book shops that have cafes attached are wonderful. So I'd suggest an attached cafe.

irl, I will spend hours in a bookstore that also has a cafe in it, sipping my coffee and reading a book before deciding if I'm actually going to buy it or not. And if you go to the bookstore with friends it's nice to sit and have a coffee while discussing books, literature...or whatever you want.

And don't forget the children's play area. Having a dedicated area for children in a bookstore (or library) is also wonderful, for both parents and kids. This includes a nice playful seating area where one adult can read to many children, as well as some toys and the like so children can be kept occupied while the parents browse for some books for themselves.

You may also want to consider a small library; a large part of any writer's time irl is spent researching, not writing. If you have University, you might also want to consider putting a few of the research archive machines in that library.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    I really like the idea of an arts centre with a writing focus. The obvious other thing to do there is have a library, a cafe and some comfy spots for pondering.

I used the Courtyard Oasis kit to make a mediterranean church at one point, which I set up to be a library. I found the eastern design can work handsomely for that. There's a conspicuous absence of churches in Henford, so that could be a good spot for a church conversion: large parts for reading, study, writing and publishing, but retain a chapel area to serve as a wedding venue and conference spot.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I love this idea.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    Thanks for feedback! Yupp, a café corner sounds to fit well. And, I did not think of categorizing the lot as Library, I think that might work.

As for University, I guess the Debate podium would be fun, at least occasionally. I can have a storage room (non accessible) in the basement where I can put stuff that I can alter between.

Also was thinking about Writers who gain fame, celebrities could have a "meet and greet" lounge, where they serve champagne or coffee, depending on their fame level, lol.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    You could set up the business as a publishing house. Book store, small cafe or bakery, on the ground floor to be used by reader sims. Offices and conference room upstairs to be used by writer sims. If you set the lot as a cafe, sims will autonomously buy coffee and read books. If you set it as a store neat sims will try to put away all books that are not on bookshelves, and they may or may not buy that many books.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    I love this. I like to download the Mimsy Cafe from the gallery. I usually edit the cafes to have a cozy fireplace and bookshelf, and I keep a laptop in my inventory for my writer Sims. I wonder if the retail lot will let you sell individual books. I would love to have a bookstore in the game.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Not sure if you are able or willing to mod your game, but this mod could perhaps help:

https://scumbumbomods.com/keep-books-after-publishing

Also if you can have some sims write their own skill books, you could add those to the shelves. Maybe get rid of the default books and only populate the shelves with books written by your sims?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Not sure if you are able or willing to mod your game, but this mod could perhaps help:

https://scumbumbomods.com/keep-books-after-publishing

Also if you can have some sims write their own skill books, you could add those to the shelves. Maybe get rid of the default books and only populate the shelves with books written by your sims?

You don't actually need a mod for that. If you put a book out on a counter or table after you write it, there's an option to "make a copy" when you click it. The copy is tagged as being a copy, only the original can be published.
    This is a base game feature, no mod needed. It's just sort of hidden by the fact you have to put the book out, as the option doesn't show up when it is in your inventory or in a bookshelf.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Don't forget a microphone so your authors can give readings from their books! (if they have those books in inventory)
  • Options
    Don't forget a microphone so your authors can give readings from their books! (if they have those books in inventory)

That's a thing? I never knew that! Play for thousands of hours, and still learn something new all the time. That's awesome.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member

Great, that could be used both in the cafe/library and in the conference room :) Might need to put the mic away when there's not announced readings though, in case random visitors will start telling jokes?