Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University

So I love doing the university part, but I sort of wish it didn't take so long. Anybody else like that or is it just me? I just feel like the studying and just university itself takes a long time.
sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I hardly send any of my Sims to University anymore. I have few Sims there and I can't wait to get them out. It's just not fun for me, because it takes forever and if I want to finish it quickly and choose more classes per semester my Sims don't have time for other activities and life in general and it means that student life for my Sims is boring and playing isn't fun for me either.
    I know that it's realistic that studying is hard, but I'm not interested of reality in games, I play to escape the reality and University on Sims 4 is just not my favorite thing. I also don't like the fact that you can start careers on higher levels when you graduate. I want my Sims to experience every level on their careers, otherwise I feel like there's something missing.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I love having my sims take classes. Two of my main Sims have two degrees each. They take classes while living at home and don't have a full schedule so they have time for other things.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    @wylmite1986 You don't really need to do all that homework, if you remember to "Take Notes" during all classes, and if you already have at least a couple of points in the related skill. It is still a good idea to edit all term papers and presentations to at least Excellent quality.

Choosing wisely which homework to do is a big time-saver.

The only sims of mine who do all their homework are the ones who want straight A+ grades. Most of them get a mix of As and Bs and have an actual life. More fun that way. :)

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    So I love doing the university part, but I sort of wish it didn't take so long. Anybody else like that or is it just me? I just feel like the studying and just university itself takes a long time.

It feels academics heavy.
    I mostly focus on academics and interacting with the dormies.
    I tend to make-over dormies a lot and play with their traits. Taking lighter course loads gives you more time for fun, but it stretches out your time at uni.

I also have a prep-school for teens going to University.
    The school is also a rotation point for taking turns at university. I send them in groups of three and come back when two terms are over.
    When a group returns to the prep school, I also rotate around to other households to progress them and leave all the students at the prep-school. Or I might take turns having the students visit home to reconnect with family, or I might just send a group of them on vacation to Mt. Komorebi, Batuu, Sulani, or Selvadorada. Whatever I feel like doing.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited December 2021
    Since I learned (which wasn't up front) you can have your Sims take Four Core Classes each term, my Sims graduate in Three Terms. I also have taken as many as seven Sims through the process, at a time. Yep. They all live in the same Dorm, so I can 'assist' their learning process along. I frequently check on what needs to be done and turned in, IE presentation boards and term papers. That they are all presented and submitted before the end of the Term. Astrid barely got her term paper in. The kids had one day left in their first term. So that was a close one. Phew! She is a jealous, High Maintenance Sim, and is basically problematic. But, that's just Astrid. Hehehe, she now wants to get engaged to the younger brother of my Global Superstar. Poor Joey, Jr. I hope he has what it takes to keep such a wife. ROFL She's not a bad Sim, she's just demanding. She's one of identical triplets. I have a picture of her giving Kayleigh the 'eye' in a fit of jealously, even though it was Kayleigh who won my Rock Star's heart. The two were married before they went off to Uni together.

check it out, that's Astrid in the green top, giving Kayleigh, on her left, the 'eye'.

0GQ3t4M.jpg
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I do tend to wait and gather a group of sims for uni classes so I can put them all through it together.

I like to make some go to uni as there are certain jobs I feel need a degree to get into (just for my own play).

I think it would have been more suitable for it to be 8 classes for a pass instead of 12. Sims lives aren't tremendously long and a minimum of 3 semesters does seem like too big a chunk. I tend to turn ageing off for 2 semesters, but it still seems like a long time in their lives.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I don't think the 3 terms is suitable for normal live Span. They should have adjusted the Numbers of courses depending on the 3 Life spans. It's Not normal that your life ist nearly over after graduation.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I never have my sims “study”, or did you not mean that specific action? (studying with the book or the research machine)
    I might be taking you too literally.

I take notes in class, make sure to do well on the term papers/presentations/exams, and try to do the homework (maybe I could relax a bit with that). I enjoy a max of 3 classes per term, but then that does take an extra term, and it’s a slog either way. I just find there’s no time for fun if they take 4 classes and I do want them to have some fun experiences. Maybe I should just make peace with the idea that some might fail or drop out. I’m about to put 15 sims through, heaven help me. I’ll only play 4 sims at a time through uni and it’s gonna take forever!
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    It's a good way to learn time management, that's for sure. LOL

I sent a total of one Sim to University. It was a struggle because I have no real life time management skills, but end the end, it was worth it. She ended up becoming a very successful judge.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I ended up sticking with it and my Sim just graduated and joined the detective branch and got a major bonus because of her degree. Normally I don't stick with Sims this long and I can already feel myself wanting to start a new one, but I'll see how this one goes.
    It's a good way to learn time management, that's for sure. LOL

I sent a total of one Sim to University. It was a struggle because I have no real life time management skills, but end the end, it was worth it. She ended up becoming a very successful judge.

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I hardly send any of my Sims to University anymore. I have few Sims there and I can't wait to get them out. It's just not fun for me, because it takes forever and if I want to finish it quickly and choose more classes per semester my Sims don't have time for other activities and life in general and it means that student life for my Sims is boring and playing isn't fun for me either.
    I know that it's realistic that studying is hard, but I'm not interested of reality in games, I play to escape the reality and University on Sims 4 is just not my favorite thing. I also don't like the fact that you can start careers on higher levels when you graduate. I want my Sims to experience every level on their careers, otherwise I feel like there's something missing.

I consider it boring too, might not have been so boring if they were actually in class instead of a rabbit hole. As far as experiencing all levels of a job, why don’t you just have them graduate in a different major than their careers?
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    I had a couple of my sims go to university, but it isn't rotational-play friendly. It was disappointing to me in that regard. I had one other sim go through from home, but I haven't sent any sims through for a very long time, now.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I like sending my sims to university in small scale games but it can be a pain when I'm rotating between more than a couple of households.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    I find university in The Sims quite challenging as well, at least when trying to reach good grades. Anyway, scheduling the workload over 4 semesters I don't find it much worse than sims working full-time jobs. On the other hand, once they graduate it becomes super-easy to reach the top level of many careers in a very short time, that sort of compensating for the previous efforts.

What I like the least about this is how long semesters are in comparison with the normal lifespan of sims, without any action they risk using most of their young adult stage just to graduate. Making some maths, I calculated that with my game settings 6 sims-days correspond to 4 years in real life, and so I started to turn off aging after 6 sims-days at the university. For me this seems to be working quite well.
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I don't think the 3 terms is suitable for normal live Span. They should have adjusted the Numbers of courses depending on the 3 Life spans. It's Not normal that your life ist nearly over after graduation.

I always set aging off during Uni, for that reason.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    University is the pack I simultaneously love and hate. Sims 2's was decent just because you can quickly fast forward through everything. Sims 3's University was just.....boring, I have literally never finished a degree. But Sims 4's is entertaining enough to keep you enrolled and want to see it through to the end.......................But the aging thing.....Seriously, first time I sent a Sim to college they didn't finish until they were just a week and a half away from aging up to an Adult, they spent their entire young life in college and they're not even trying to become a doctor!!!

So hell yes I agree with you that it takes too long. I always turn aging off, or at least leave it on for one day a week. Seriously, in those three weeks you're in college, that one little kid that lived next door might end up enrolling in college right after you leave, that's how long it takes.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    edited December 2021
    83bienchen wrote: »

I think they did a good job balancing that...in Sims 2, the Young Adult stage existed purely for college students. Teens who didn't go to college instantly aged up to Adult and lost the chance to do college life. If you send a sim to college directly out of high school, aging them up to enroll them, and do three full terms plus graduation day, you'll usually be right on the cusp of aging up to a "regular" adult, essentially just like in Sims 2.

Or, if you do the Academic aspiration, you could just spend 1500 of the points you get during university (you get well over double that from going all the way through it) on a Potion of Youth post-graduation.

As for the main discussion, most of my sims get degrees, but sometimes I just don't want to be bothered with committing to the time investment involved. If I have a specific career in mind for the sim in question, I'll get them the relevant degree just because of how incredibly powerful the rewards are even for sims that weren't born and raised to be "super sims"—my celebrity chef character has a +16 bonus beyond level 10 and makes over 800 simoleons an hour, or 19,200 in a 24-hour, four-day workweek. Her husband is just +4 as a pro athlete and makes 373 an hour and 11,190 a 30-hour week. Of course that's dwarfed by their both having the Shrewd reward trait and making over 100,000 between them off the family fortune each week, but...
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I really like the fact that in Discover University. and its Sims 3 predecessor, you didn't have to go to university as soon as you hit 18. I started at 26 and several of the people I knew were in a similar age bracket, and there were also retired people as well, so I appreciated being able to reflect the non-traditional path in my game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    Sims 2 university was way worse than Sims 4. You couldn't leave the university neighborhood, you couldn't have a job, you couldn't have a family, you couldn't participate in family events like weddings or birthdays, you could only enter university right after high school and right before adulthood and no other time. The gameplay was a grind, too.