Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thinking about Realm of Magic

As the title would suggest, I'm thinking about adding Realm of Magic to my Sims collection. But, while I think it will be fun to have the option of adding magical Sims to some of my saves, I don't want all my games to feature Spellcasters. I'm concerned that, if I install Realm of Magic, I'll have witches and wizards everywhere, randomly casting spells all over the place.

Do lots of townie Spellcasters appear, or will premades wander into Glimmerbrook, make their way to the Portal, enter the Magic Realm, and turn into Spellcasters?

Thanks, in advance!
Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
Yevsas mairzeemo!

Comments

• Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,656 Member
    Spellcasters do show up in other worlds if you’re playing Spellcasters, but don’t autonomously cast spells. They might fly in or out on a broom, though. If you don’t want them in a save, I think they only trigger after you take a Sim to the Magic Realm. I may be mistaken because my current save is over a year old, but that’s how I remember it. Premades used to show up as Spellcasters in The Realm, but that got fixed in a patch. They also wander around Glimmerbrook, which I don’t like. I want Glimmerbrook to be exclusive to my Spellcasters, so I use a mod to lock others out. The game needs a certain number of Spellcasters to populate the Realm, though, and it will create townies for that if you don’t have enough in game. Most of them just act as regular townies until they’re needed in The Realm. Then they do Spellcaster stuff.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    edited December 2021
    The witches and wizards act like normal people when you see them outside the realm, except perhaps the occasional broom entrance/exit (though I see this more often with my played sims than NPCs.)

I kinda have the opposite problem-- I wish there were more random magic and alien business going on among NPCs in the background of my game, but everyone just wanders around chit-chatting (or jogging, or doing NAP activities)

• Options
    The witches and wizards act like normal people when you see them outside the realm, except perhaps the occasional broom entrance/exit (though I see this more often with my played sims than NPCs.)

I kinda have the opposite problem-- I wish there were more random magic and alien business going on among NPCs in the background of my game, but everyone just wanders around chit-chatting (or jogging, or doing NAP activities)

It suits my game for them to stay kind of undercover in places like San Myshuno or Willow Creek, but I wish you could designate places for autonomous Magic for Spellcasters. Like the bar in Glimmerbrook or HOB, even. Or aliens could be more openly alien in Oasis Springs. Designated places where they’re allowed to live their own lives.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    cyncie wrote: »

It suits my game for them to stay kind of undercover in places like San Myshuno or Willow Creek, but I wish you could designate places for autonomous Magic for Spellcasters. Like the bar in Glimmerbrook or HOB, even. Or aliens could be more openly alien in Oasis Springs. Designated places where they’re allowed to live their own lives.

I would like the option to allow autonomous magic as well. A lot trait would have been a good way to allow magic. But unfortunately that doesn't exist. It is a shame spellcasters are forced into constant hiding. So for anyone wondering, you won't be able to tell if visiting sims are spellcasters, unless you happen to see them arrive on a broom.
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    You can make clubs for magic users, there are some club rules that make sims use magic autonomously. If you set them to gather at a specific lot, they'll show up and start dueling and stuff.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I have Realm of Magic but I confess that I didn't play too much with it. I use the cauldron sometimes for cooking purposes and the build and buy stuff and that's it. Visited the realm a couple of times and didn't like, the world gives me nausea. Until recently I haven't seen any spellcasters in my game. They don't cast spells, but I randomly see them now and then falling from their brooms in my other worlds and I know they are spellcasters. But apart from that, I never know who's a spellcaster. So, if you don't want magic in your other worlds it's totally possible to be magic free.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited December 2021
    I made some twin spellcasters, but have a large rotation and haven’t played them in awhile. If there are witches around in other worlds, I sure don’t know it. They are less intrusive than vampires are. I do have to watch out for vlad or another vampire sim showing up at night to get some blood, and I see bats turn into people on my doorstep. But I haven’t ever seen a spell caster cast a spell. And, that’s the way I like it because I want my witches to be special, secretive and unnoticed. By the way I love to old fashioned furniture in the pack
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    This is what I like so much about this forum! Within eight hours--most of which I spent asleep--several of you stopped by and shared some really valuable insights. Thank you, one and all... @cyncie @mightysprite @Atreya33 @GreenTurtle @crocobaura @SheriSim57 :)

After seeing aliens spawning in every world during a save when Z and I would have preferred less alien activity, observing Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab jogging through the entire Sims universe, and watching the entire population of Sulani relocate to the gym in Willow Creek again and again, I installed a mod that keeps premades in their own worlds. Now the aliens, Landgraabs, and Sulanians are still very much alive and well, simply doing their things close to home. Perhaps that will happen to Spellcasters, too. I want the magic to be turned up to 11 in the Magic Realm, and I want MY Spellcasters to Repairio, Morphiate, and Minionize without restraint. ;)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    It's been awhile since I've done it but the Get Together clubs include 'casting spells' as an allowed activity and I hosted an event at a bar and they ended up burning the place out.
  • Options
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I've done it but the Get Together clubs include 'casting spells' as an allowed activity and I hosted an event at a bar and they ended up burning the place out.

Yes. Spellcaster clubs are out of control!
  • Options
    peachibrewpeachibrew Posts: 3 New Member
    > @MoonlightGraham said:
    > This is what I like so much about this forum! Within eight hours--most of which I spent asleep--several of you stopped by and shared some really valuable insights. Thank you, one and all... @cyncie @mightysprite @Atreya33 @GreenTurtle @crocobaura @SheriSim57 :)
    >
    > After seeing aliens spawning in every world during a save when Z and I would have preferred less alien activity, observing Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab jogging through the entire Sims universe, and watching the entire population of Sulani relocate to the gym in Willow Creek again and again, I installed a mod that keeps premades in their own worlds. Now the aliens, Landgraabs, and Sulanians are still very much alive and well, simply doing their things close to home. Perhaps that will happen to Spellcasters, too. I want the magic to be turned up to 11 in the Magic Realm, and I want MY Spellcasters to Repairio, Morphiate, and Minionize without restraint. ;)

wait, share the mod, i NEED that.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

@peachibrew

I don’t know which one @MoonlightGraham uses but I use Sim Spawn Overhaul by Lotharihoe. If you only need to control The Magic Realm and Glimmerbrook, Zero has Portal Only Spellcasters and Glimmerbrook Only Mages which work very well, also.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I see more Aliens spawning in my worlds then spell casters. I don't mind the aliens, because I have a mixture of everything supernatural.
    My spell caster population is one of the highest, followed by the humans, and other type of Sims.
    That said, you barely really see most spell casters, except for your own. You may see another one enter and leave on their broom if they have one, and you may see their familiars if they are assigned. Your Sim will pretty much be the only Sims you see using spells outside of the magic realm, but usually when I make them practice magic. Your Sim may be challenged to a duel by another spell caster, but that is about it.
    I have a bunch of Sims that are spell casters, and I play them on rotation and equip them with brooms and wands, so I have more activity going on in my game with spell casters.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I certainly haven't noticed the spellcasters. I haven't started playing any yet and didn't realize until a few days ago that a sim I've been seeing around for quite a while was a spellcaster. She has a glow about her and I thought she was a celebrity. I only realized when someone here mentioned the sim by name. She's been coming over to my sim's house and hanging out. Since I was pushing my sims to skill up, I've been mostly ignoring her. Now I guess I can use their slight friendship in my story to have them discover magic.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I want my spellcasters to find caster mates, but it's very difficult to discover just who is a spellcaster. Usually I find out by accident, either by seeing them on the broom or throw a townie into CAS to change those god-awful clothes that I find they are casters. Very secretive, which is the way it should be.

I try not to let my spellcasters toss magic around, it upsets the locals. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    peachibrew wrote: »
    wait, share the mod, i NEED that.

@peachibrew I use the same one @cyncie mentioned, the one Lotharihoe created. I use very, very few mods, and this is one of them. It solved some of the issues that frustrated me before.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    You won’t really know who is a spellcaster unless you see sims from the outside worlds in the realm of magic.

It’s really annoying. I wish sims were more open with magic. Like i understand the chaos but I just wish Spellcasters were more liberal with magic, like autonomously using magic to make their lives easier, like the harmless spells, using magic to make food appear when they’re starving, spells to fulfill their needs, and survive at the very least. And be able to discuss magic with humans. I don’t understand why they can’t. Only because I run a kingdom and i have an arch mage in my court, and it would be cool to have my king/Queen command the Archmage to use his powers when carrying out a sentence or something.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Jokr1929Jokr1929 Posts: 48 Member
    Honestly RoM for me has been the fantasy pack from Sims 2/3/4 you notice the least when not playing with it. I've never noticed someone magical or flying in my game unless I was in the magic world looking for it.
  • Options
    @MasonGamer , @Jokr1929 I guess it was easier to design ROM nerfed in advance than to have to go back and nerf it like Vampires.
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    I think that's my hesitantation on getting the pack as well. Because I love Harry Potter and have seen people do amazing things with that pack and Harry Potter but at the same time I don't know first off if I'd enjoy it like I think I would and I also don't want them showing up everywhere either like you said.
    As the title would suggest, I'm thinking about adding Realm of Magic to my Sims collection. But, while I think it will be fun to have the option of adding magical Sims to some of my saves, I don't want all my games to feature Spellcasters. I'm concerned that, if I install Realm of Magic, I'll have witches and wizards everywhere, randomly casting spells all over the place.

Do lots of townie Spellcasters appear, or will premades wander into Glimmerbrook, make their way to the Portal, enter the Magic Realm, and turn into Spellcasters?

Thanks, in advance!

sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Unless you give your spellcasters brooms, wands, or familiars you won't even know they are there. Also, if you make a spellcaster, they can be challenged to a duel, but they will move to the magic realm to battle.
    Magic is usually used only in the Magic Realm.
    The Magic NPCs will fill be around, but they act like normal non-magical sims.