Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is that possible to play the sims 3 at 144Hz on windowed mode?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi, recently I got a new monitor which supports 165 Hz maximum. I ran the sims 3 and had a look at the game option, the refresh rate is inactivated. But the refresh rate is set to 144 Hz on my computer. I can choose 144 hz in only Full screen mode. All the videos and screenshots turned out very dark in full screen mode. I really don't like this dark videos and images and that's why I prefer to play it on windowed mode. But not sure it can be possible to play the sims 3 at 144 Hz on windowed mode as the refresh rate is grayed out in game option. My graphics card is GTX 1080Ti and I definitely saw the refresh rate up to 144 on my computer.

12.jpg

Post edited by Jeansoo on

Comments

• Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    In the Nvidia Control Panel -> Display, what are your settings there?

Set it to the native resolution and 144 Refresh rate.

Click "Use Nvidia color settings"

Color depth = Highest (32 bit)
    Output color depth = 8 bpc
    Output color format = RGB
    Output dynamic range = Full

Maybe that can help so you can play in full screen mode at 144 Hz without things getting too dark. It worked for me.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    The in-game refresh rate is irrelevant anyway: it won't have any effect on the actual fps you see. But you can set a framerate limit in the Nvidia Control Panel that should work in both fullscreen and windowed modes. Right-click on the desktop, select the CP, then Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings, choose ts3w.exe (disc or Steam install) or ts3.exe (Origin install), scroll down to Max Frame Rate, enter 144 as the limit, click OK, then Apply to save the change.

There's also a global setting for max frame rate if you want to set it for everything, including other games, at once.

For the screenshots in fullscreen mode, what method are you using to take them? I've noticed that my screenshots are very dark if I use the Windows snipping tool, and Printscreen might be similar. My in-game screenshots taken with C look fine though, as do Windows screenshots taken in windowed mode. I haven't experimented with the settings @Cororon mentioned, but they're definitely worth trying too.
  • Options
    For the screenshots in fullscreen mode, what method are you using to take them? I've noticed that my screenshots are very dark if I use the Windows snipping tool, and Printscreen might be similar. My in-game screenshots taken with C look fine though, as do Windows screenshots taken in windowed mode. I haven't experimented with the settings @Cororon mentioned, but they're definitely worth trying too.
    The screenshots taken with C were dark when I got this monitor, before I made the changes in the Nvidia Control Panel. It turned out that the graphics card didn't give me the full dynamic range. White was light grey and dark grey was more like black. When I changed the settings to RGB and dynamic range to Full then everything looked right. :smile:

cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Cororon, @puzzlezaddict

Thanks. I will have a look my geforce setting this evening and give a feedback. :D
    Is there a way to limit the frame rate on Radeon card too?
  • Options
    Cororon wrote: »
    In the Nvidia Control Panel -> Display, what are your settings there?

Set it to the native resolution and 144 Refresh rate.

Click "Use Nvidia color settings"

Color depth = Highest (32 bit)
    Output color depth = 8 bpc
    Output color format = RGB
    Output dynamic range = Full

Maybe that can help so you can play in full screen mode at 144 Hz without things getting too dark. It worked for me.

@puzzlezaddict

7.jpg

Can I set this to the highest on this monitor? This monitor is what I'm currently using.
    And... I don't know where to find the Nvidia color setting.. :(

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Frame rate limiting should be in the same place you are at in the pic you posted. It's called Vsync (Vertical sync). Set it to on.

You have set Max Frame Rate to 144 FPS for the game, so that's what Vsync will limit the frame rate to. Yes, you can set the Preferred refresh rate to Highest available.

I recommend that you install CPUID HWMonitor. It's a nice little program that you can use to check the temperatures of your processor and graphics card. If you think the graphics card runs too hot at 144 FPS you can always change the "Max Frame Rate" to something lower. :)

The color settings are under Display -> Change resolution -> 3. Apply the following settings. Like you see here:

233973d1558032066t-nvidia-control-panel-custom-res-causes-10-bit-colour-revert-back-image.png
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    Jeansoo wrote: »
    7.jpg

Please, please, for the sake of your GTX 1080Ti, do not let it run sims 3 at an insanely high framerate of 144fps. Limit the maximum frame rate to 60. This isn't a shooter game, you literally wouldn't feel much difference.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • Options
    Kelvin wrote: »
    7.jpg

Please, please, for the sake of your GTX 1080Ti, do not let it run sims 3 at an insanely high framerate of 144fps. Limit the maximum frame rate to 60. This isn't a shooter game, you literally wouldn't feel much difference.

What happens if I set it to 144hz with gtx 1080ti? Please explain so that I can understand. Thanks.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Frame rate limiting should be in the same place you are at in the pic you posted. It's called Vsync (Vertical sync). Set it to on.

You have set Max Frame Rate to 144 FPS for the game, so that's what Vsync will limit the frame rate to. Yes, you can set the Preferred refresh rate to Highest available.

I recommend that you install CPUID HWMonitor. It's a nice little program that you can use to check the temperatures of your processor and graphics card. If you think the graphics card runs too hot at 144 FPS you can always change the "Max Frame Rate" to something lower. :)

The color settings are under Display -> Change resolution -> 3. Apply the following settings. Like you see here:

233973d1558032066t-nvidia-control-panel-custom-res-causes-10-bit-colour-revert-back-image.png

9.jpg

This is what I set in the setting.

8.jpg

No luck. :( Maybe I've done something wrong in the setting or .. Ah!! I used the shortcut key for snip and sketch feature on Win10. Currently I'm using Mac keyboard on PC, so the F14 key(Print screen key on windows) doesn't work.

• Options
    What happens if I set it to 144hz with gtx 1080ti? Please explain so that I can understand. Thanks.

Nothing visually, because sims 3‘s animations are all capped at 30fps which means no matter how high you set the highest frame rate, the game is going to look exactly the same, despite the fact that you are overworking your graphics card. It’s working extra hard to render that amount of frames per second that can’t even be shown by the game. Effectively what you do is drastically shortening your GPU’s life expectancy.
    ._.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Nothing visually, because sims 3‘s animations are all capped at 30fps which means no matter how high you set the highest frame rate, the game is going to look exactly the same, despite the fact that you are overworking your graphics card. It’s working extra hard to render that amount of frames per second that can’t even be shown by the game. Effectively what you do is drastically shortening your GPU’s life expectancy.

How about the high fps? I checked the fps went up to 200 while playing the sims 3. I don’t want faster animations. I want the smoother screen if it’s possible with higher frame rate.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited September 2021
    @Kelvin There is absolutely no reason not to play at 144 fps, especially on a 1080 ti. Two things can shorten the lifespan of a graphics card. One is overheating, and of course it's a good idea to monitor the GPU's temperatures while playing, but as long as this card or its cooling solution isn't defective it should be fine in Sims 3 at 144 fps. The other is excessively high framerates, but that means fps well into the hundreds, think ~500 or more rather than 144.

A well-made graphics card can run games at core loads close to 100% for years without breaking down, again provided it's not overheating or generating extremely high fps while doing so. If this particular 1080 ti is running Sims 3 at 200 fps with no limit in place, 144 won't put it anywhere near 100% core load anyway, or likely anywhere near dangerous temperatures either.

And I at least do notice a significant difference between 60 and 144 fps in Sims 3. It looks and feels a lot smoother.

@Jeansoo It's still better for your card to cap fps so it can't run wild when it wants. Did you in fact enable vertical sync in the CP? It's not the monitor setting you showed in an earlier screenshot, which I think pertains to G-sync, a feature of the monitor itself; v-sync is further down on the list. And are you seeing 200 fps with v-sync enabled, or at least Max Frame Rate enabled? If so, let me know what kind of install this is: Origin, disc, or Steam.

For a Radeon card, you can try the built-in Radeon control panel, which may or may not work. (If this is on a Bootcamped Mac, it almost certainly won't work unless something has changed recently.) Or you can use RivaTuner Statistics Server to set an fps limit, or you can use D3DOverrider to force vertical sync.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Kelvin There is absolutely no reason not to play at 144 fps, especially on a 1080 ti. Two things can shorten the lifespan of a graphics card. One is overheating, and of course it's a good idea to monitor the GPU's temperatures while playing, but as long as this card or its cooling solution isn't defective it should be fine in Sims 3 at 144 fps. The other is excessively high framerates, but that means fps well into the hundreds, think ~500 or more rather than 144.

A well-made graphics card can run games at core loads close to 100% for years without breaking down, again provided it's not overheating or generating extremely high fps while doing so. If this particular 1080 ti is running Sims 3 at 200 fps with no limit in place, 144 won't put it anywhere near 100% core load anyway, or likely anywhere near dangerous temperatures either.

And I at least do notice a significant difference between 60 and 144 fps in Sims 3. It looks and feels a lot smoother.

@Jeansoo It's still better for your card to cap fps so it can't run wild when it wants. Did you in fact enable vertical sync in the CP? It's not the monitor setting you showed in an earlier screenshot, which I think pertains to G-sync, a feature of the monitor itself; v-sync is further down on the list. And are you seeing 200 fps with v-sync enabled, or at least Max Frame Rate enabled? If so, let me know what kind of install this is: Origin, disc, or Steam.

For a Radeon card, you can try the built-in Radeon control panel, which may or may not work. (If this is on a Bootcamped Mac, it almost certainly won't work unless something has changed recently.) Or you can use RivaTuner Statistics Server to set an fps limit, or you can use D3DOverrider to force vertical sync.

Thanks. I checked that exactly 204 fps was the highest one while playing the sims 3 for 10 mins. The patch version is 1.69 origin installation. I checked the fps before posting here, so the v sync was not on. I will check the fps again tomorrow while the v sync on at the geforce control panel. No I got a descent pc after moving to other country. I gave the imac away to someone else. So now I’m playing the sims 3 on PC. :smile: Yes, I set the 144 in G sync this evening but I haven’t played the sims 3 after that. I’m playing the sims 4 at the moment, but I’m going back to the sims 3 after I finish the sims 4 university challenge. I want to set everything right for the sims 3 beforehand.
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Thanks for the correction.
    @Jeansoo you might also want to check out this guide here on how to play the sims 3 with borderless windowed mode on, this is what I play with nowadays and it works like a charm without having to worry about recalibrating the colours. https://justmiha97.tumblr.com/post/633548181860433920/ts3-boderderless-new-machines-and-fps-limit
    ._.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @puzzlezaddict Thanks for the correction.
    @Jeansoo you might also want to check out this guide here on how to play the sims 3 with borderless windowed mode on, this is what I play with nowadays and it works like a charm without having to worry about recalibrating the colours. https://justmiha97.tumblr.com/post/633548181860433920/ts3-boderderless-new-machines-and-fps-limit

Thanks for the guide.

e8abb1ef98a67f61224cddc7b3611bf7664440e0.png

I knew this borderless thing long time ago but the sims 3 was not showed up on this menu. That’s why I gave up but I will try again. Maybe it didn’t work due to the windows 10, on bootcamp, IMac. Thanks :)

• Options
    No luck. :( Maybe I've done something wrong in the setting or .. Ah!! I used the shortcut key for snip and sketch feature on Win10. Currently I'm using Mac keyboard on PC, so the F14 key(Print screen key on windows) doesn't work.

Use the C key instead. :)
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2021

I won’t be able to capture ui .. :D
    Thanks. I will try boarderless gaming one more time. :)
    Maybe.. I can play on windowed mode in the 144 setting on G sync.

• Options

Why would you want the UI in every pic? "Look, here to the right are my sims looking awesome, and on the bottom left you'll see the UI" :lol:

The few times I want to show the UI I use Print Screen and make the pic lighter in an image editing program. :smile:

The important question is if your screenshots look ok now when you use the in-game camera and C. :wink:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Why would you want the UI in every pic? "Look, here to the right are my sims looking awesome, and on the bottom left you'll see the UI" :lol:

The few times I want to show the UI I use Print Screen and make the pic lighter in an image editing program. :smile:

The important question is if your screenshots look ok now when you use the in-game camera and C. :wink:

Oh..c key was always right. The reason I don’t use c key drops down the image quality, and no option for including ui like TS4. When I want to explain what’s going on in my game, I want to show the menu interactions, or sometimes I want to show my sims’ needs bar. Can’t do this with c key. I usually don’t edit the brightness the images in photoshop. It perfectly works on windowed mode. You don’t need to edit them in photo edit program. The print screen, snipping tool, snip and sketch tool, etc.. but there is only way the capture tool works perfectly in full screen mode which playing the sims 3 on Mac. Mac capture tool(command shift 3 and 4 or 5) doesn’t make the screenshots dark.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17920036#Comment_17920036

or this one

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17919286#Comment_17919286

This is the way I’m using and it’s useful. :)
  • Options
    Oh..c key was always right. The reason I don’t use c key drops down the image quality, and no option for including ui like TS4.

Hm, do you use the highest image quality settings for screenshots in game? I get the quality I see on the screen. But then, I play in full screen.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Oh..c key was always right. The reason I don’t use c key drops down the image quality, and no option for including ui like TS4.

Hm, do you use the highest image quality settings for screenshots in game? I get the quality I see on the screen. But then, I play in full screen.

Even though I can get the highest quality of the screenshots with C key, I need an option to take a pic of Ui menus, so that's why I prefer to play the sims 3 on windowed mode. I don't mind the windowed mode if I can play at 144hz from Geforce control panel. :) Also I experienced this too. I can't explain why but I get less force quit or less error codes in windowed mode.