Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ability for teens to dropout of school?

pangaea67pangaea67 Posts: 13 New Member
I have a teen character that makes ~1300 simoleans a day (and growing) working from home as a writer, I think there should be the option to drop out of school in cases like this. This does happen in real life, when people drop out of high school to focus on their home business. I imagine it would only take a small amount of code to enable quitting like how sims can quit their jobs.

Comments

• Options
    Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    Mod? I don't think the developers would want to promote dropping out of school.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    It could only allowed under specific circumstances e.g. "earn 3200 simoleans in three days." Even in real life, quitting school could be done for positive reasons like if they are needed to be earn money for the household or if they want to focus on a successful business they have started. As is there seems to be no major consequences for simply not going to high school. But again 3200 simoleans requirement would make sure it is only done to support the household or work on building a successful work from home business, to start early accumulating wealth. Creating a GED programme or something could also work well for those who wish to go back to school (quit or did poorly before) to pursue a career path, but we might be getting too complicated there.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited April 2015
    Yes, right now Teenagers at least aren't getting anything out of it, they don't bring home any awards or anything when they get an A they don't even get a diploma at the end of it all, going to high school in the sims is useless.

Personally I think we should be able to enroll our kids to begin with, and choose what school they go to.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    > @MasonGamer said:
    > Yes, right now Teenagers at least aren't getting anything out of it, they don't bring home any awards or anything when they get an A they don't even get a diploma at the end of it all, going to high school in the sims is useless.

I thought decent grades were needed for some career paths? Also, allowing you to pick the next trait of your sim. May be more useful to some than others.
  • Options
    PaigePlaysSims5PaigePlaysSims5 Posts: 7 New Member
    I want this to be a real mod too! My teenage sim just gave birth and no one else lives with her but her baby and I hate paying for nanny each morning!
  • Options
    zombiesuezombiesue Posts: 148 Member
    pangaea67 wrote: »
    It could only allowed under specific circumstances e.g. "earn 3200 simoleans in three days." Even in real life, quitting school could be done for positive reasons like if they are needed to be earn money for the household or if they want to focus on a successful business they have started. As is there seems to be no major consequences for simply not going to high school. But again 3200 simoleans requirement would make sure it is only done to support the household or work on building a successful work from home business, to start early accumulating wealth. Creating a GED programme or something could also work well for those who wish to go back to school (quit or did poorly before) to pursue a career path, but we might be getting too complicated there.

I don't think I'd call that positive. I tutored for the HiSET program (what my state takes instead of the GED) for many years, and very rarely was dropping out a net positive for their lives. Sometimes their family needed money, but dropping out was almost never an ideal situation. The only exception was cases of extreme bullying, as in the case of my trans brother-in-law, where pulling out of school was better, but still not really a positive. Like you said, the sims struggles to mirror realism at this level, so it's probably better off left to mods, lol. I remember that for TS2 there was a version of inteen that would allow your teenager to drop out if she became pregnant. I have no idea if something like that exists for TS4.
  • Options
    Kuma_frumaKuma_fruma Posts: 46 Member
    This would defiantly make for some interesting game play. Also if your sims parents both died and your teen sim needed to take care of both themselves and their sibling.
  • Options
    onizorimuraonizorimura Posts: 2 New Member
    > @pangaea67 said:
    > I have a teen character that makes ~1300 simoleans a day (and growing) working from home as a writer, I think there should be the option to drop out of school in cases like this. This does happen in real life, when people drop out of high school to focus on their home business. I imagine it would only take a small amount of code to enable quitting like how sims can quit their jobs.

MC Command mod, there is an option that allows you to quit school. If kids can quit as well.
  • Options
    onizorimuraonizorimura Posts: 2 New Member
    I would post a link, but I can't due to the website's policy. Make sure you put MC Command Center for Sims 4 in google.
  • Options
    FabusquishFabusquish Posts: 1 New Member
    You can actually drop out of school with a cheat, I found this out by accident
    if you use the cheat
    careers.retire (insert job)
    then you don't have to go to school and you get a weekly payment of whatever salary
    for example, my sim was a barista so after turning cheats on I typed in
    careers.retire barista
    and my teen "retired"

hope this helps
  • Options
    SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    I agree that dropping out of school is a non-ideal option, but I'd like the ability to homeschool children and teens. It could be like "working from home" for adults, where they have to complete certain tasks during the day or whatever, but I think it'd - like real homeschooling - give them the ability to also skill build and do something constructive with their life rather than having the option to nap under bleachers during gym or deal with a bully throwing paper wads again. (In these things, the school mirrors a lot of public school experiences realistically, which I'm not sure is the greatest thing - yeah, you get to build emotional control, empathy, etc, but you also get to deal with teachers who can't competently handle bullying when your kid barfs in the hallway. :/ )
  • Options
    LlVlNGDEADGlRLLlVlNGDEADGlRL Posts: 1 New Member
    If you dont want to find a mod I have a solution. IF you have the Mc Comand Center mod you can manually put them as a Young adult and then back to teen and you won't be in high school anymore, if you want to go back to high school you can by going to find a job. Also when your in highschool for a teen they can only have a couple small jobs like being a lifeguard or a retail employee, those are still the only jobs you can have as a teenager even if your not in high school.
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    I support it besides people who dropped out of school IRL usually end up as billionaires for some reason.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited August 2021
    Honestly, I think itd be good to have. If only to have more negative consequences for sims. Not everything our sims do is supposed to be positive or something EA/Maxis encourages. Or if they can't do that, at least have some negative consequences for bad grades beyond the embarrassed moodlet.

Homeschooling would be a good school alternative option, though.

• Options
    DKguruArtistDKguruArtist Posts: 298 Member
    edited August 2021
    Mod? I don't think the developers would want to promote dropping out of school.

You're probably right but at same time if you play with auto aging turned of, then unless you use birthday cake or age up cheat. Many probably don't wanna have to rabbit hole school all through their game play either. Unless they cancel school and just eat up the hit on grades. But also deal with annoyance of having to do that everyday outside of weekends(where schools closed), I mean been a couple of players including streamers who done rags to riches type playthroughs never going to school, but playing as a homeless teen trying to make their way.

I don't really see the big issue with it, also would go as far as to call it promoting. Promoting usually mean you do something actively to create a situation to further something, plus don't really see reason why it has to be a sheltered thing. I mean school drop out exist and not everyone of become one necessarily end not turning things around for the better. Remember one youtuber who had a story like that ended getting a blue collar job and turning their life around ending respecting hard work to make a living.

Thought part of sims was idea of creating stories for your sims.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Agreed there. Give teens the option to join more careers and to drop out. Also, if they already have good grades, why make them stay? They could even set it up so you could have a graduation ceremony. Some geniuses go to college really young, too.
  • Options
    redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Agreed there. Give teens the option to join more careers and to drop out. Also, if they already have good grades, why make them stay? They could even set it up so you could have a graduation ceremony. Some geniuses go to college really young, too.

Or instead of encouraging or promoting something thats kind of bad, they could just have a "Testing Out" option which allows the teen, if they have good grades to do exactly that and graduate early.
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Chloew_2003Chloew_2003 Posts: 1 New Member
    Use careers.retire highschool
  • Options
    redrogue60 wrote: »

Or instead of encouraging or promoting something thats kind of bad, they could just have a "Testing Out" option which allows the teen, if they have good grades to do exactly that and graduate early.

Hmmm... I don't see it as encouraging the behaviour, it depends on how it's portrayed. Just a thought, but a lot more could go into this. A lack of grades could mean issues in other things later on (inability to go to college, issues finding a good-paying job, not being portrayed as intelligent, possibly seeking money through unethical means, special skill requirements for occupations, etc).
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    redrogue60 wrote: »

Hmmm... I don't see it as encouraging the behaviour, it depends on how it's portrayed. Just a thought, but a lot more could go into this. A lack of grades could mean issues in other things later on (inability to go to college, issues finding a good-paying job, not being portrayed as intelligent, possibly seeking money through unethical means, special skill requirements for occupations, etc).

I don't see it as a bad thing since high school dropouts are successful and rich while people with proper education end up working at coffee shops and/or McDonalds, if you want some examples here's Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Nicole Kidman and Cameron Diaz, they're all high school dropouts and they're still rich and famous to this day.
  • Options
    Wriggly was kicked out and sold newspapers. Then he became an entrepreneur and made a massive bubble gum company.
  • Options
    Kicked or dropped out, but either way, moved out at age 11 to sell newspapers.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top