Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's weird that Sims can't get Bored to death

I mean that's weird, right? The base game has all these emotional deaths, but the one that actually makes sense isn't there.

It's weird.
wJbomAo.png

Comments

• Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Honestly if Sims can literally laugh themselves to death, which they can, why can't they be bored to death?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    I almost wish Sims could die of happiness. Sure would spice things up when they're constantly high on pretty décor.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Agreed. Not that it really makes sense as an actual, but at least there is some linguistic roots for this emotional death. Plus, it isn't an emotion I encounter that often, so I doubt it would be problematic.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Agreed. Not that it really makes sense as an actual, but at least there is some linguistic roots for this emotional death. Plus, it isn't an emotion I encounter that often, so I doubt it would be problematic.

Exactly, it's not realistic (tho this is The Sims...) but the wordplay really seems like something Maxis would have jumped on.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    There was a Sims 3 “bore to death” interaction that could be used on sims with no sense of humor (trait). It made them pass out.
    I think the emotional deaths are funny, it’s just so hard to get multiple negative moodlets like anger and embarrassment. “Surge Emotion” made this a bit easier, I was pleasantly surprised it gave options to go into a negative mood. It would be great to have death by boredom.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    There was a Sims 3 “bore to death” interaction that could be used on sims with no sense of humor (trait). It made them pass out.
    I think the emotional deaths are funny, it’s just so hard to get multiple negative moodlets like anger and embarrassment. “Surge Emotion” made this a bit easier, I was pleasantly surprised it gave options to go into a negative mood. It would be great to have death by boredom.

Yeah, it is really hard. I think it's partly because they all add like +1 or +2 to any given emotion, and they all tend to last for a couple of hours, so they're all equally powerful. If Maxis made negative emotions a bit more meaningful (throw in a +3 every now and then!) I think the added asymmetry would make emotional deaths a bit easier to achieve.

Would you believe I've never seen a death by laughter in-game? My Sims always tell jokes to each other when socializing, but it's never killed them, ever. Seven years I've had this game.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I always thought it would be interesting if a Sim could die of a broken heart. But then, seeing how common Sim death by old age is, and how common other Sad moodlets are, maybe it would be happening too often?

Plus, can you imagine? One Sim dies, and all of a sudden, they're all dropping like flies. Actually, that *did* happen at the police station several times, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional. :)
  • Options
    I always thought it would be interesting if a Sim could die of a broken heart. But then, seeing how common Sim death by old age is, and how common other Sad moodlets are, maybe it would be happening too often?

Plus, can you imagine? One Sim dies, and all of a sudden, they're all dropping like flies. Actually, that *did* happen at the police station several times, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional. :)

It would be nice if there was a Heartbroken emotion, separate from the normal Sad emotion, that way Sims COULD die of a broken heart without making every Sad Sim at risk of death (the ghosts could autonomously try to seek out romance, the way angry ghosts pick fights and break stuff). A broken heart isn't something that can really be conveyed with simple sadness, IMHO
    wJbomAo.png