Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Story Dialogue and Contractions

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
edited June 2021 in Off Topic Chat
When it comes to dialogue in story writing, is it better to use contractions or not to use contractions?

Examples:

Contractions: "You've accomplished a lot in your life," she said. "You'll do very well in the future."
No Contractions: "You have accomplished a lot in your life," she said. "You will do very well in the future."

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    It depends on the character, honestly. If a character is written to be more formal in their speech, then maybe avoid contractions.

If it’s more informal, use the contractions. But also if you need to emphasize a word that makes up a contraction, I would keep it separate. For example, if someone is trying hard to get the idea across in the second statement, they might stress the “will” and therefore wouldn’t use the contraction. “You WILL do well in the future.” Is more resolute than “You’ll do well in the future.”

But again, it’s really up to character and context, but there are no hard set rules about when you have to use one or the other. Using contractions sounds more natural these days because it’s a common way to speak. But in the past, sentences were phrased differently so the present day contraction is not something you would probably hear in the past. So if your story is more modern, the contractions will feel more natural and realistic to the speaking patterns of today.
  • Options
    telltalehearttelltaleheart Posts: 17 Member
    My general rule of thumb is that all narrative writing can freely use contractions, especially in dialogue like in your example. But like the reply above said, some characters might not, such as someone really proper or a non-native speaker.

Contractions tend to flow better in dialogue, since the reader will be picturing the character saying it, and it better reflects natural speech. It definitely flows better and is easier, at least for me, to read rather than stumble over. I'd say do it almost always, until a special use case crops up!
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    Thanks a lot for the tips and advice on this guys. Much appreciated. I'm doing some story writing, and this has been really boggling me up.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited June 2021
    rjssim wrote: »
    When it comes to dialogue in story writing, is it better to use contractions or not to use contractions?

Examples:

Contractions: "You've accomplished a lot in your life," she said. "You'll do very well in the future."
    No Contractions: "You have accomplished a lot in your life," she said. "You will do very well in the future."

Agree with what others have said, but wanted to add that in the examples above, the first one sounds more friendly and familiar, and the second one sounds like someone who has a very formal relationship with the person they are encouraging.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg