Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stay-at-home Sims

Hi, everyone.

Yesterday, I created a new game and created four Sim households for it. I set my "main character" to be playable. I handled the other households in different ways. I placed two of them in houses--one in Oasis Springs and one in Willow Creek. I didn't place the fourth household into a house; I wanted to see if they'd move in to one of the existing houses.

On the first game day, my Sim saw Edgar (the Sim from Oasis Springs) at the Blue Velvet, and introduced himself. He saw Mary (from the "homeless" household) somewhere and met her, too. The other Sim, Sally, was at home all day.

Since that first day, I haven't seen Edgar, Mary, or anyone from Mary's family (her husband or child) anywhere at all. Edgar shows up at home all the time. Mary's household is nowhere to be seen, and they haven't found a house. To the best of my knowledge, Sally has never left her house. My Sim has been able to interact with her--he's been to Sally's house and they've chatted on the phone--but every time I check, she's chilling in her house. Sally isn't "frozen" in the sense that my Sim can interact with her as long as he visits her house. Same with Edgar. And my Sim can chat with Mary on the phone. They simply don't leave their houses or, in Mary's case, appear at all!

What might be happening? Any help would be appreciated!
Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
Yevsas mairzeemo!

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Have you added or uninstalled a mod recently? Have you ever deleted the localthumbcache.package? It's good to delete it, as that's the file that holds onto game errors, etc. Get rid of it, another one will self-generate during the next gaming session. If deleting this package doesn't help, then I would recommend you do a game repair. Something is off, somewhere.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Have you added or uninstalled a mod recently? Have you ever deleted the localthumbcache.package? It's good to delete it, as that's the file that holds onto game errors, etc. Get rid of it, another one will self-generate during the next gaming session. If deleting this package doesn't help, then I would recommend you do a game repair. Something is off, somewhere.

I haven't modded the game, so that can't be it.

I'll try deleting the localthumbcache.package file, and I'll see what happens.

Thank you for your suggestions! :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    @GalacticGal After I deleted localthumbcache.package, I started a new game and added Chase, an unplayed Sim, along with my main character, Aidan. I moved Chase into the vacant starter house in Brindleton Bay.

For the first couple days, Chase didn't seem to leave home. Whenever I had Aidan travel anywhere, I always clicked on Chase's house to see if he was home. He was. He always was.

I decided to see what would happen if Aidan dropped by for a visit. When he teleported in, he found Chase standing stupidly in his front yard. I wondered if Chase had ever experienced the inside of his house.

Note: I deliberately designed Aidan and Chase to get along well; it seems the game senses when my Sim might be developing a connection with someone and has them spawn in their area, as if they're driven there by an irresistible cosmic force. How else can I explain the fact that within a half hour of Aidan's arrival at either of the gyms, Eliza Pancakes and the Heckings invariably show up? I thought this mysterious force might inspire Chase to explore the world around him.

Anyway, with Aidan's help, Chase began to understand that he is allowed to enter his own house, and that it is cool to have a friend.

Aidan's intervention seems to have worked to some extent. Now Chase will leave his lot...to come hang out at Aidan's place. He's done that three times now. Once, he arrived while Aidan was cooking some Mac & Cheese to enjoy with the cute townie he met at the library in Britechester. Dinner for two became dinner for three. Chase demonstrated a talent for telling jokes and performing impressions at the dinner table. He's either the ultimate wingman, or a snake in the grass. I'd like to think it's the former.

I still haven't seen Chase do anything but hang out at home or visit his buddy. At least it's a start.

Thanks for your suggestion! At the very least, it's given me a fun story.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    These are just my observations but it appears as though the game is coded to have sims show up at community lots and around the world when they have been “developed” a bit. By that, I mean they actually have skills, relationships, jobs, etc.

Any time I download from the gallery and add a “blank” sim to the world (one that has essentially just been created in cas), they rarely if at all appear on community lots or in the world. Alternatively, if I download a sim from the gallery that actually had skills added to them, they do tend to show up more.

My suggestion is to perhaps go to these families and use cheats to add a few skills points and see if that helps. The code seems to spawn sims with skills relevant to the location, so if you give them a few fitness skill points they’re more likely to appear at gym lots, or a few dancing points and they’ll be more likely to appear at nightclubs, or the fishing skill and they might appear at parks… that sort of thing. When I use cheats to add skills to new skill-less sims in my world, I tend to see them more often.
  • Options
    @BK747 That's a really good idea. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for sharing it! :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    @BK747 That seems to work well so far. I used the skills cheat to give Chase three points for Fitness, two for Logic, and two for Dancing. I figured Logic might make him spawn at a library or a park where there are chess boards. The next day, he spawned at the gym. I'll see if his other skills lead him out of the house more often. :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    @MoonlightGraham I’m happy it seems to be working for you. It has become a regular part of my process when adding townies to the world and seems to make a big difference. Glad I could help.
  • Options
    @BK747 Thanks very much! I decided to add three more of the Sims I created and saved to my library. I gave them skills, and then I briefly took control of each of my four "supporting actors" and found jobs for them before I set them to be unplayed again. Hopefully giving them careers to pursue will get them out and about more often. Plus, it's a lot more realistic than having a host of unemployed adults roaming the world,making no attempt to further their educations and spending all their time working out, partying, and hanging out at each other's houses. :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!