Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Elders need to be revamped ; They need exclusive/unique stuff... (Share your ideas)

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
edited May 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
  • Such as the encouraged/exclusive to them recreation activity to-do, like the "stereotypical" bingo, shuffleboard, golfing, reading newspapers and knitting. [-]They should also be able to defend grandchildren or scold their own children for them scolding their own.
  • Grandmas should be too generious and sweet type of people for their grandchildren especally, by pulling their chicks and giving some small money to buy stuff (automonously), while the parents of the child can ask to return it back.
  • Grumpy old (hot heated) man can start whining and yelling at teens/children to leave their lawn for traspashing.
  • Functional cas-alike/buy mode assests: such as the cane, walkers, those-electrical-canes those-electrical-carts-things.
    • Canes (including walkers) should work or be introduced as to what was similar in The Sims 3 Generation: those elders that have purchase this item, dropped in their inventory (and the toggle its animation through an interaction) should only get "handicapped" (I added the quotation marks, because it only affects the elder temporarely and its effect can be reverted at any time by disabling the animation, via left clicking it to open the interaction).
    • While the animation is enable, the sim should still walk up/down the stairs with the cane and carry/walk with the walker without putting back in the inventory (this can be a form of "multitasking" name), whilst without struggling (they will use those downs at the same pace&duration equally to how they would walk on the floor/ground).
  • Silly animation, such as their prothestic teen falling off for some than laughing about it afterwards, getting frustated at technology (similar to how nooby cooks suck at cooking), grooming and picking the fur out of youngster sims...
  • Retirement home perhaps? Only elders should be able to choose to moved to it or stay at their home.
  • Younger sims should react to them as the

Share your thoughts what will make Elders feel more elder alike, unique and that stand out :)
NNpYlHF.jpg
Post edited by DragonCat159 on

Comments

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    These are nice ideas. We could also use more traditional clothing for older people.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    A nursing home would be great.....get tired of seeing all the elders at all the local teen & young adults hot spots. The game just keeps spawning elders even with aging shut off. Tiresome. They need a special club.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    yes I think they need things to do as well
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Well, personally, I've never even bothered with Elder Sims, but yeah. Anything to add more, even just a bit, to the game.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Elder Sims aren't exactly exciting. Never have been. And that's exactly why they need to be improved on, even if they are the final stage of life.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    • Such as the encouraged/exclusive to them recreation activity to-do, like the "stereotypical" bingo, shuffleboard, golfing, reading newspapers and knitting. [-]They should also be able to defend grandchildren or scold their own children for them scolding their own.
      NOT ALL ELDERLY PEOPLE LIKE BINGO AND SHUFFLEBOARD.....JUST POINTING THIS OUT SO I WOULDN'T CARE TO SEE THEM IN GAME IMO.
    • Grandmas should be too generious and sweet type of people for their grandchildren especally, by pulling their chicks and giving some small money to buy stuff (automonously), while the parents of the child can ask to return it back.
      NOT ALL GRANDMAS ARE GOING TO BE THAT SWEET, I LIKE THEM AS THEY ARE. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN UNIQUENESS. HOWEVER, I LOVE THE INTERACTION IDEAS.....EXCEPT FOR THE CHEEK PINCHING
    • Grumpy old (hot heated) man can start whining and yelling at teens/children to leave their lawn for traspashing.
    • Functional cas-alike/buy mode assests: such as the cane, walkers, those-electrical-canes.
      THIS GOES BACK TO THE WHOLE HANDICAPPED ISSUE THOUGH. IF THEY PUT THIS IN, THEY WILL HAVE TO PUT IN SIMS THAT NEED WHEELCHAIRS/WALKING IMPLEMENTS IN ORDER TO GET AROUND. ITS NOT REALISTIC......I UNDERSTAND THAT.....BUT I DON'T WANT MY SIMS TO BE TOO REALISTIC THAT I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THE REAL WORLD BY PLAYING
    • Silly animation, such as their prothestic teen falling off for some than laughing about it afterwards, getting frustated at technology (similar to how nooby cooks suck at cooking), grooming and picking the fur out of youngster sims...
      NOT SURE IF YOU MEAN DENTURES FALLING OUT OR WHAT.....IT WOULD BE FUNNY TO SEE AN OLD SIM POP THEIR TEETH OUT AT YOUNGER SIMS FOR LAUGHS.......AND THE GROOMING THING WOULD GET TOO ANNOYING TO ME REALLY
    • Retirement home perhaps? Only elders should be able to choose to moved to it or stay at their home.
      LOOOOOOOVE THIS IDEA BECAUSE IT WOULD MEAN NEW CAREERS LIKE CARETAKERS, NURSES, ACTIVITY LEADERS, ETC
      Share your thoughts what will make Elders feel more elder alike, unique and that stand out :)

To the OP.....I used your original post.....the caps were just so that you could see my comments in the middle of your bullet points. My apologies if you felt as though I was shouting.......I was not I assure you. As you can see, I do think that the elderly need more things to do, things to wear, and more silly interactions with other sims though. Right now as it stands they will do anything and everything a young sim can do and personally speaking, I don't see any elders that I know going out to a club at midnight to party.......yet, there they are!
  • Options
    Bear31 wrote: »
    NOT ALL ELDERLY PEOPLE LIKE BINGO AND SHUFFLEBOARD.
    Ha!
    I don't even know what shuffle board is.
    Elderly people in this part of the world play lawn bowls.

LawnBowls5.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Bear31 wrote: »
    NOT ALL ELDERLY PEOPLE LIKE BINGO AND SHUFFLEBOARD.
    Ha!
    I don't even know what shuffle board is.
    Elderly people in this part of the world play lawn bowls.

LawnBowls5.jpg

LOL!! Im not sure how shuffleboard is played, but its a board and you use a stick or something and push a hockey-puck like disc across it (I think). Its as boring as curling is.

CurlingSweep.gif

Curling ^^
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    "NOT ALL ELDERLY PEOPLE LIKE BINGO AND SHUFFLEBOARD.....JUST POINTING THIS OUT SO I WOULDN'T CARE TO SEE THEM IN GAME IMO."
    You're right, but at the very least the fact that they COULD play them would add positive stereotypical look to them to make those wise-experenced entities unique/stand-out from other younger entities. At the very least, giving them the option to do those (with the rest of other life stages) but as an exception of having greater/bonus moodlet than if other age groups were to use those stuff. Without that, elders are just as dull as If they aren't any different from adults minus the hair color difference.

"NOT ALL GRANDMAS ARE GOING TO BE THAT SWEET, I LIKE THEM AS THEY ARE. THEY HAVE THEIR OWN UNIQUENESS. HOWEVER, I LOVE THE INTERACTION IDEAS.....EXCEPT FOR THE CHEEK PINCHING"
    I did not mention that their traits will have a role that will depend their will be sweet or pinch the children chicks, because I thought that would be obvious enough that I had that in mind. Though I do wish they were portrayed sweet and pinch children chicks by default, while those with Family Orientated trait will do it more regularly, except for those that have "Hate childrens" shouldn't do automously or have that interaction masked from the pie interaction menu completely.
    "THIS GOES BACK TO THE WHOLE HANDICAPPED ISSUE THOUGH. IF THEY PUT THIS IN, THEY WILL HAVE TO PUT IN SIMS THAT NEED WHEELCHAIRS/WALKING IMPLEMENTS IN ORDER TO GET AROUND. ITS NOT REALISTIC......I UNDERSTAND THAT.....BUT I DON'T WANT MY SIMS TO BE TOO REALISTIC THAT I CAN'T GET AWAY FROM THE REAL WORLD BY PLAYING"
    In The Sims 3, Generations expansion packs introduced canes for elders to use, and nobody of the simmers mind that or bat an eye. The Fact that was an optional feature that can be granted to purchasing and aiding to specific elder, without actually forcing all/random to struggle with the "disability" for the rest of their life. That's make them purfect and not insulting to the players. Which I won't don't see why that should be a problem and a big deal when it weren't in the past, in one of the previous iterations, If these objects and their feature are executed well

Walkers could just function like how the walking canes did. And since TS4 has multitasking and graceful animation, we should incorperate those to these "storytelling items", with more (soft) realistic side: If they would have walk up/down stairs, they shouldn't put the cane/walker back to inventory, they should still walk (with the cane) and carry (the walker) whilst they do go up/down (the pace/duration shouldn't change and they should be able to move up/down with ease, as when they were walking on the floor).

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I vote for a Betty White Stuff Pack
    tumblr_m4m6llFzVU1qzkl82o1_500.gif
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Automonous interactions:
    * Cook cookies when there are hungry grandchildren (and children in general) hungry on the lot when they take a visit :O.
    * Play bingo, read newspaper (as a man), a knit (as a woman) more frequently/often than any other lifestage group.
    * Elders should be able to share their long-life-past-cliche stories to their grandchildren.
    * Elders should be able to give off toddlers-children-teens a important wise messages and advice (could also be tied with the upcoming parenting skill introduced in Parenthood game pack)
    * Should have a stronger bond with toddlers (that is, those that don't have "Hates Children" trait)
    * If they started to fight and had a cane in their inventory, they should be able to utilize that and starting beating their opponent with it (justf for lulz).
    * ??? (ran out of ideas).
    * Reminisce about younger life.
    * Boast about grandchildren.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    I think there are a few problems with your ideas, though. Such as the fact that how good elderly are with technology depends on how much they use it from person to person and depending on what generation they were born in. For the sake of this game, they would have had computers whole whole lives and to suddenly be bad with them just because their older makes no sense. Mini and normal golfing is an everyone sport as in bingo a game for all ages. Plus the whole clothing thing is questionable because of the whole generations things as well. At one point medieval ages were when grandparents were born, at another point grandparents were originally from the renaissance era, and one day "millennials" will be grandparents. This means what clothing is considered "stereotypical" of older people to wear will also evolve in real life and therefore in a game like this that doesn't really have an official time (as far as I am aware) that it takes place, it wouldn't make sense to say their is clothing befitting of an older generation. However, more interactions may be befitting as there are some talking points and actions that may make sense. However, it does seem like adults could talk about their childhoods to children just as easily as the elderly.
  • Options
    TayoAnnTayoAnn Posts: 3 New Member
    I think there are a lot of good opportunities for aging throughout the game. Having stereotypical options available wouldn't mean that all elders have to complain about local youths or play bridge/shuffleboard/mahjong. And it would be nice if there were an "old soul" trait for younger Sims included with all of this. I am in my 30s and have been told since I was a toddler I was an old soul. I also like going to bed early and hate loud music. I just need to start yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

What I most want to see is aging options in CAS. Especially with male hair, it feels as though even few cc options exist to reflect aging very well. It would be nice if my adult sims didn't have to have hair that is as lush and dark as young adults. The Sims 3 at least had some more short hairstyles for men that looked closer to beginnings of a receding hairline without having to go full-on male-pattern-baldness There is one in the base game now I know, but it isn't great.

I think moodlets could reflect different types and abilities of elders. Some could occasionally become "pleasantly confused," as doctors sometimes say. We don't want to make it seem that all elders are not mentally sharp, of course. Neither should they all be equally effected by aching joints, etc. And any dicomfort should be treatable with tylenol, or something (Maybe Tylenol will sponser this game pack!). Aging and mortality can suck. I imagine it could be difficult to find a good balance in a game like this between realistic and depressing. That doesn't mean it isn't totally possible.
  • Options
    TayoAnnTayoAnn Posts: 3 New Member
    Oh. Also, maybe adults could "lecture kids about how good they have it" while seniors do more reminiscing. Again, there are opportunities for the same kinds of interactions to express themselves differently across generations.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    TayoAnn wrote: »
    Oh. Also, maybe adults could "lecture kids about how good they have it" while seniors do more reminiscing. Again, there are opportunities for the same kinds of interactions to express themselves differently across generations.

Perhaps teens and young adults should lecture elders about how good they have it? ;) After all, many millennials are having difficulty with career progression and buying their own homes, things that our baby boomer parents have frequently been able to do. My parents were younger than me when they bought our house. I am saving up but due to the terrible job market, I've no idea if I will be able to get something suitable. Then again, I only have one income and they had two, but house prices are famously sky high these days, and especially in our area.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think there are a few problems with your ideas, though. Such as the fact that how good elderly are with technology depends on how much they use it from person to person and depending on what generation they were born in. For the sake of this game, they would have had computers whole whole lives and to suddenly be bad with them just because their older makes no sense. Mini and normal golfing is an everyone sport as in bingo a game for all ages. Plus the whole clothing thing is questionable because of the whole generations things as well. At one point medieval ages were when grandparents were born, at another point grandparents were originally from the renaissance era, and one day "millennials" will be grandparents. This means what clothing is considered "stereotypical" of older people to wear will also evolve in real life and therefore in a game like this that doesn't really have an official time (as far as I am aware) that it takes place, it wouldn't make sense to say their is clothing befitting of an older generation. However, more interactions may be befitting as there are some talking points and actions that may make sense. However, it does seem like adults could talk about their childhoods to children just as easily as the elderly.

Well, I'm sure the team can come with ideas on how to go around the technology-amateur part. What I have in mind: this could be tied into some sort of new technology skill regarding all life stages. The Last time you used technology through your all your lifetime (translation: from childhood to elderly), the difficult it should be for sims to teach themselves to use it like a pro the older they get. Similar to the TS3:ITF's skill, except it has an impacts on how sims will use the technology well gradually through aging up based on how long their were in touch with the technology practical experence. Elders sims should be penaltize If they never used computer from their childhood to middle age, so they must have harder time learning it when they become a grand pa/ma. That's what it means to be in a "life simulation" as an elderhood.

The Time period and technology advancement isn't the only factor that determines how well will one will use the technology in the future. For example, we are living in 21st century and my mother, who is an adult, still doesn't really know how to use a computer (while she does know the basics of typing and pointing the mouse cursor, but she tends to misclick stuff and get frustated easily about it, lol). Now, take a guess: how skilled will she be after she becomes over 60/70 years+ old without putting effort/dedication into putting more time learning before she becomes an elder? Yeah, as you probably answered - "novice". That's what makes your argument pretty irrevelant, not to mention that players can roleplay/storyline a different timelime, e.g, medieval, in their game. So yeah...

Mini-gold/bingo: I did include those as BUFFS, if not as exclusive activities/items, for this particular life stage because that's what they most do according to the stereotypical recreation they're involved in. We have children automously interact with toys, so why should elders not be attracted to their own thing?

About the clothing: that's not really true from what I heard. At least to what I watch from one of the videos, on youtube there was an episode about fashion which they gave Elders to try out on the REACT channel series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnjVDrpAac .They really felt weirded out. I have only watched a long time ago, so If this the right one/video and IIRC: one of the elders made their claim that they don't wear that kind of fashion.... crap, I lost my thoughts xD Anyway, the summary ; tl;dr version: In the video (most) Elders didn't seem to approve of that style they tried out, since wearing that fashion for them as seniours doesn't fit or seem right. They had a disliked taste to it and felt self-conscious once they tried it the trend.

From my perspective, I do think by default the elder CAS wardrobe should be limited, but still accesable through special toggleable mode (like the Gender Customization Mode).

Now I'm not saying that they shouldn't wear them, because they can and be allowed to, but to be honest: having to scroll through the hats category just do find redudant assests such as punk-theme snackback hats seems that their out of place. Know what I'm saying? What I'm proposing: Elders should only get CAS clothing items limited to the choices that are RELATED to their age group, but still accesible through by either CHECKBOXING to remove all the restrictions; or filters from what player chosen particular age group clothes you want the game to provide and allow you to dress the elder in.

As for telling grandchildren storylines, again - that's my way of stereotyping, because I usually find the cliche that elders are the ones that OFTEN than the adults tell their stories/experences/memories to younger juniors/kids.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    TayoAnn wrote: »

Perhaps teens and young adults should lecture elders about how good they have it? ;) After all, many millennials are having difficulty with career progression and buying their own homes, things that our baby boomer parents have frequently been able to do. My parents were younger than me when they bought our house. I am saving up but due to the terrible job market, I've no idea if I will be able to get something suitable. Then again, I only have one income and they had two, but house prices are famously sky high these days, and especially in our area.

The houseing market really has gone bonkers.
    I'm so glad I don't live in sydney, to be as close to the cbd as I am in the city I'm in, I'd be paying the same rent as what I am here (sharing a 4 br house with one other person), for just one room!
    The median house price for sydney is over a million.
    Where I am, it's crept up to about $450,000. Never been so glad to be living in a boring city.

Maybe they should include that in the game.
    Make all the really nice city areas really expensive, but have plenty of job options, and have the middle of nowhere places really cheap... but make it harder to get a job in the middle of nowhere.

Give our sims the same misery that young adults have today. :p
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    dogboy678dogboy678 Posts: 200 Member

You are right that anyone can play bingo or golf but its the fact that a lot of elderly people do play these things. For example golf is sport you can play your whole life because it doesn't require that much physical activity. Not putting in these things for elders for the sake of anyone can do it would be dumb. For clothing just because in 10 or 20 years the clothing might not be what elders wear anymore doesn't mean they shouldn't wear it/put it in now. They constantly put fashion trends into the sims and its good at the time but once they are over with it might look weird in our game when we play it at a later time. How would we put any clothes in the game if we fear at some point the won't be current? I mean look at past sims some clothing looks the same as today some clothing no one would ever wear today and some clothes comes back as trends. There is no way to get around that this game will eventually become dated we just have to go by what we know now.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    • Functional cas-alike/buy mode assests: such as the cane, walkers, those-electrical-canes those-electrical-carts-things.
      • Canes (including walkers) should work or be introduced as to what was similar in The Sims 3 Generation: those elders that have purchase this item, dropped in their inventory (and the toggle its animation through an interaction) should only get "handicapped" (I added the quotation marks, because it only affects the elder temporarely and its effect can be reverted at any time by disabling the animation, via left clicking it to open the interaction).
      • While the animation is enable, the sim should still walk up/down the stairs with the cane and carry/walk with the walker without putting back in the inventory (this can be a form of "multitasking" name), whilst without struggling (they will use those downs at the same pace&duration equally to how they would walk on the floor/ground).

I completely agree with you. I dubbed Elderhood as the sims "Waiting-to-die" life stage because they have nothing that makes them unique except that they retire then just wait around eating and sleeping to death. Its frustrating and irritating to me. My next door neighbor is 87 and last summer went SKYDIVING! I don't expect skydiving in this game... its more to make a point. Elderhood is not a waiting to die life stage, its a very valid part of life. The part where your child rearing is done, your working 9-5 is hopefully done as well so you have free time... Why aren't there any things for them to do but eat, sleep and then eat and sleep some more?

I'd be thrilled with miner interactions like, card parties (bunch of old fogies sitting around playing bridge anyone?) Knitting in a rocking chair on the porch, Sharing grandkid photos with friends, yelling at people to stay off the lawn... I miss the canes elders could sport in other renditions of the game. For reasons I don't get my brain tells me they need to be able to join dance lessons and learn to tap dance, tango, salsa, etc... Plum, my granny went twice a week for as long as I could remember to aquasize (probably misspelled) classes at the local pool. I'd love even a few of these things for them. What ever happened to the 'wise' words from your elder family members? It'd be neat to have the option to 'impart wisdom' to younger sims.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, the clothing/fashion argument is redundant. Would like to see all towny elders wearing ripped jeans, with chains, emo and punked hair, with a hoodie put on and a snapback ? That's an hypothesis - that is, If we ever get those cas assest options. We should limit towny style/fashion for elders, because that is relevant irl trend. Like in the video I provived, it appears elders aren't that much fond to have their skin/body exposed too much, which from there would be a good stand for clothing designers to start looking into. If any kind of players would want to go over that limit, they could simply filter out by removing the "old age ; elder" tag.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »

I completely agree with you. I dubbed Elderhood as the sims "Waiting-to-die" life stage because they have nothing that makes them unique except that they retire then just wait around eating and sleeping to death. Its frustrating and irritating to me. My next door neighbor is 87 and last summer went SKYDIVING! I don't expect skydiving in this game... its more to make a point. Elderhood is not a waiting to die life stage, its a very valid part of life. The part where your child rearing is done, your working 9-5 is hopefully done as well so you have free time... Why aren't there any things for them to do but eat, sleep and then eat and sleep some more?

I'd be thrilled with miner interactions like, card parties (bunch of old fogies sitting around playing bridge anyone?) Knitting in a rocking chair on the porch, Sharing grandkid photos with friends, yelling at people to stay off the lawn... I miss the canes elders could sport in other renditions of the game. For reasons I don't get my brain tells me they need to be able to join dance lessons and learn to tap dance, tango, salsa, etc... Plum, my granny went twice a week for as long as I could remember to aquasize (probably misspelled) classes at the local pool. I'd love even a few of these things for them. What ever happened to the 'wise' words from your elder family members? It'd be neat to have the option to 'impart wisdom' to younger sims.

Elders could also be more attracted to play chests and other puzzling games. Board games could range from bingo, and that game where you put a piece with a letter to form words or whatever.

If we ever get retirement homes, there could be occurence where you visit the lot with any sim and notice small group of elders drinking tea and eating biscuts on a gathered table around or just singing along in a chorus next to the pianist. Nurses could a be npc that provides food, newspaper and doing their chores like making beds or whatever.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    LoriKobzLoriKobz Posts: 4 New Member
    Elders need better aspirations. Several pre-made households have elders with family aspirations that are impossible to fulfill, unless they adopt children. It's actually insulting that they have no other goals in life but to mentor family members. Many actual seniors have their own hobbies, their own ambitions, their own lives.
    Also, why are the elders so feeble? Actual seniors can work out & many can stand up straight.
    Finally, my parents are in their 70's & my kids are in their 30's. Why are elder Sims lives so short? Bring back the sliders, so we can adjust for each life stage.
  • Options
    AinexaAinexa Posts: 7 New Member
    love your ideas, I totally agree. Then it would be so much more fun to play with elders in sims 4.